Author Topic: Why must I log-in at start-up?  (Read 5241 times)

80s_Fan

• Calf
Why must I log-in at start-up?
« on: January 14, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »

This might be a silly question but why must I log-in each time I restart my PC? In other words, when I boot-up and try to run iTunes, unless I have double clicked on the drive and entered my password, iTunes will yell that it can't find my iTunes library (which I have moved to my Buffalo Linkstation Live unit). Once I doubleclick the drive in My Computer and enter my password, all is fine. Is there an automated way to do this each time I boot-up or some other way around this?

Thanks.

Michael

• Calf
Re: Why must I log-in at start-up?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »
    If the share has access restrictions, you will need to re-enter your log in information when it reconnects on reboot. This is a limitation of the Windows Login process. You could try to set the user name and password on the Linkstation to the same one that is used to log into Windows. This does work in some situations.

80s_Fan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11:58 PM »

Thanks Michael. That makes sense and I appreciate the suggestion. But I am the only user on my PC and do not enter a login for Windows. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »

He means restrictions on the folder and the way Windows logs into that folder.

Open up the browser management for the unit and then go to the Share Folders. Click on the folder and at the bottom of that page you will access restrictions, Is this Enabled or Disabled?

80s_Fan

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »

It is disabled.

Just to be clear, I have several share folders on the drive and all but one are set to disabled. The one that is set to enabled was a folder I set up for test purposes.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »

Im not sure how you are mapping the drive but try it like this...

Start> Run> \\IP of LS

Then right click the folder and select Map Network Drive

The next window gives you an option to choose a drive letter, **It will also give you the option to "Reconnect at Log On", make sure you have the Checked**

80s_Fan

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 12:12:43 PM »

Hi Kevin:

Thanks a lot for your answer. That looks straight-forward enough. May I ask, though, can I edit my current "map". I am not all that up on networking or networked drives so I don't know if this is a silly queestion.

I just did what you said (i.e. start>run>IP of LS) and it showed my mapped drives. I clicked on the music share and right-clicked "map network drive". This tried to change my map from:

\\LS-CHL78F\share

to:

\\my IP\share.

Is that OK to do? Or must I re-map the drive? There was no option to edit the folder area (its greyed out).

The reason I ask is that all of my music files are stored in that share and it was a bit of pain to get them there. I would hate to have to redo this if I don't have to.

Thanks.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »

Yep, that should work just fine, but if you start running into some wierd issues try disconnecting it and then remapping it again.

If you rather map it by name (for example you are using DHCP and the IP might change) then you could just type \\name of LS and do the same thing. 

*It doesn't really matter how you access it, you should be able to get to the data.