Author Topic: Just bought a Terastation Pro 1 ..  (Read 10750 times)

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Just bought a Terastation Pro 1 ..
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Oh yeah. I'm sorry you're right the Pro series does have SATA, however at the time only 500 GB drives were available so you are welcome to try and if worse comes to worse you can try the TFTP solution found here but I'm not sure how the device will react. Please let us know the results if you try.

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »

Excellent, thanks for the link.  One question, will upgrading the firmware keep my raid settings and data or break the raid array and require me to reload data?

Thanks, Jim

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
It should keep all of the settings and data, at worst it should just reset the IP acquisition method.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 03-30-2009 02:18 PM

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »
   Ok thanks.  I will follow up when I have a result.  I'm still not sure we're going to try the 1TB drives, so I'm still hoping someone who has will come along and respond.

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »

I think the case is going to be closed on this one.  See the link below with an excellent discussion of the limitations of TS Pro V1 (and other similar models).

Essentially, the limit to the maximum filesystem size is imposed by the 2.4 version of the linux kernel being used.  I've checked the firmware 1.04, and I don't see anything indicating that the kernel was updated to 2.6. 

If you need Raid 5, which I do, then you're stuck at 2TB max and there isn't much that can be done about it.  If you just need something like JBOD, and you're comfortable with the linux command line, there are very good instructions at the link below.  For us, however, we'll just go w/ the 2TB limit and look to upgrade when we fill that.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.  Jim

Link:   http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/TeraStation_larger_disks

P.S. If anyone knows how to upgrade a terastation Pro I to kernel 2.6, then I'm all ears ;).  It would probably break the GUI, but I'm fine with that.

miogpsrocks

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »

THis piece of junk can't upgrade or anything larger than 500GB drive.

I never heard of anything like this before. There is a 127GB limit of computer like 10 years ago but I never heard of any device being limited by 500GB on a freaking SATA connection!

Someone at buffalo really dropped the ball on this device or has limited the drives on purpose in order to cause people to buy new machines.

Useless!!!

miogpsrocks

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »

Can't Buffalo release a firmware update to fix this 2TB limit? I hear the probem might be with the 2.4 Version of the operating system but the 2.6 version on the OS fixes this. However buffalo does not have any firmware for this machine that runs on the 2.6 version on the Kernal.

I bought a Readynas from infrant that is very very old. I updated the firmware today and it can support all moderm drives 2TB drives plus anything else that might come out in the future. Even know the company is now own by netgear and my product is an Infrant readynas, they still stood by the product and produced firmware to make it work.

I wish buffalo would take a page fromt the readynas book instead of telling you that you can't upgrade your machine which is running a wopping 250GB hard drive when the norm on the street now 8 times the size 2,000GB ( 2TB)

Buffalo needs to get out of the hard drive business an into the RAID NAS business. Part of the reason they are rated so low is because of the refurbished junk hard drive they include which break like crazy mixed with the scoreful attitute towards replacing hard drives which all other NAS devices strong encourage. Thecus does not tell people " oh, don't touch the hard drive, you have to stick with only our special hard drives"

In closing with my random rant, Buffalo need to update the firmware for the Terastation Pro 1 to allow it to support hard drives larger than 500GB and start getting with the times that NAS devices are suppose to be upgradable as the technology improves. We are consumers want the same thing as in the braveheart movie. "FREEDOM !!  to upgrade our Hard drives! 

Thanks.