Author Topic: Just bought a Terastation Pro 1 ..  (Read 10783 times)

Zod

• Calf
Just bought a Terastation Pro 1 ..
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:18:59 AM »

According to the description of the device by the seller it can take 4 x 1TB drives .. is this true ? finding it hard to get the maximum drive accepted on this device .. seeing as it's discontinued.

thanks

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Just bought a Terastation Pro 1 ..
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
   Theoretically Yes, HOWEVER it is not supported to work and any upgrading of drives WILL VOID any warranty on the product. As far as I know, these units have not been tested with anything bigger than single 1TB drives.
Message Edited by kevin on 01-14-2009 06:24 PM

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
   The Terastation Pro I can accept up to maximum of 2TB total size. Therefore you need to get 4x500gb SATA harddisk. Upgrading it might be a hassle as you need to replace individual disk and re-create the Raid Array.

Zod

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:48:52 AM »

two answers .. each different ..

Don't mind if I break warranty .. will it take 4 x 1TB drives and RAID 5 them to give 3TB usable ?

Don't want to buy the drives if it won't take them.

Zod

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:52:13 AM »
   also is there anywhere I can download the manuals for this ?

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:04:54 AM »

That was my mistake, sorry. Tanjl is correct, these unit have only been tested up to 2TB.

You can download the manual from the downloads section of this site (Support> Downloads) Select TS Pro.

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

Did you end up trying this with 1Tb drives?  My Terastation Pro 1 is past the warranty already anyway.  I just want to know if it will accept and properly use 4x1TB drives.  Please let me know if you tried it and it worked.

Thanks, Jim

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
The Kernals are specific to the device only.  Technically it will work, or should I say hopefully work.

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the response Josh.  I agree, I think it will.  I'm just concerned the kernel/bios has an addressing limitation that would prevent recognizing drives over 500GB each, since that is all Buffalo supports.  I would love to know if anyone has actually put 1TB drives in it and could confirm one way or the other.

Thanks again, Jim

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:12:03 PM »

The way to increase size is to:

Power down the unit and insert your new 500GB into slot one, boot up the TS, log onto the interface page and restructure the raid.

Once done, power down the unit again, replace drive 2 and again restructure. Do this with all 4 drive and once the restructuring has been completed on the 4th drive you should see the increased capasity ;-)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:09:34 PM »

Thanks for the response davo.  That's not really what the question is about though.  I 'know' that the system will accept 4x500GB drives for a total of 2TB of storage.  What I'm wondering, even though it isn't officially supported by Buffalo, is whether or not the system will accept 4x1TB drives for a total capacity of 4TB (3TB in raid 5).  Is there a limitation in the bios/kernal/raid controller? 

I do understand the upgrade process you're talking about, and that's how the drives will eventually get loaded, but the question is about drive size.

Thanks for the bump though ;)

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »

Yes it does support up to 2TB.

I've done it on the Terastation Pro 1 (TsS-2.0TGL/R5) twice.

Now for my next adventure, can it support 4TB?!!

Muaahahahaha!

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »

Now for my next adventure, can it support 4TB?!!

Now THAT is the question we are trying to resolve in this thread!  BUMP!

I emailed tech support a week ago, still no answer...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:23:25 PM »
In response to the question at hand and no it is not officially supported since we have only tested up to 2 TB. You're welcome to try 4 TB but we don't have any records nor testing logs that indicate this device can work with 4x1TB drives. Where did you find a 1TB drive that has IDE anyway let alone 4?
Message Edited by Dustrega on 03-30-2009 12:27 PM

JCH

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »

Thanks for the response Dustrega.  At this point I realize Buffalo's response is going to be that nothing over 2TB is supported.  Since it is a forum, I'm more hoping that someone comes along and can just give a definitive yea or nea on having tried 1TB drives in this unit.

You do have me confused though.  I've never removed my drives from the Terastation Pro I, but I'm pretty sure from looking at the configuration screen that there are SATA drives inside, not IDE.  And 1TB SATA drives are extremely affordable these days.