Author Topic: LinkStation Mini Web Access, Firmware Update, Quickest Uploads  (Read 2925 times)

jimw

• Calf
LinkStation Mini Web Access, Firmware Update, Quickest Uploads
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »

Dear All,

I have the 1TB Linkstation Mini which I have successfully set up the remote web access for, however it now means that when I now try to connect to the share locally to which I have set up the web access I need to login (it says 'Access Denied')!

How do I grant permission locally (I assume I need a certificate of something) which will allow me to connect to the share without having to login each time?

I'm also thinking about updating the Firmware, but am afraid I'll lose all of my data - will this happen?

Also... I can't get the function button to work when I attach an external USB drive - what is the fastest method of transferring data to the drive that other users have found?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: LinkStation Mini Web Access, Firmware Update, Quickest Uploads
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »

The folder should not be asking for any type of local authentication if all you did was enable web access, however if you have also enabled access restrictions on the folder it will. In order to work around getting prompted for login credentials everytime you access the folder in this case you would want to map the network drive rather than just navigating to it every time. In order to do this after you navigate to that folder right-click on it and select "map network drive" and it should show under My Computer with whatever drive letter you assigned.

As for the firmware, updating should not cause any data loss since the firmware is written to a part of the drive separated from the data sector.

The fastest method to transfer to USB would be through the disk backup feature within the Linkstation's configuration page as this will take the throughput of the PC out of the equation. As for the function button issue, this isn't anything I've seen before, what make and model USB drive are you using with this?

jimw

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:31:28 AM »

Thanks Matt,

Managed to get the local issues sorted with the 'Map Network Drive' solution as you suggested, I was already using this, but worked out that I needed to disconnect them then reconnect them with the access restricted drives first!

I've added another web user to the access restrictions, this one is allowed more shares and some read/write privileges, however when they login in they only get the original share I assigned to them with read/write privileges that I haven't given them for that share - very confused! Does it take time for the changes in shares to be reflected in the buffalonas interface? I thought it would be instant!

The USB issue was actually the other way around! I've got an external HDD filled with mostly PDFs and work files (not media files) and need to get them on the Mini - what's the quickest way of doing that?!

Thanks

Jim

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »

Try resetting the device to defaults from Maintenance->Initialization, Restore.

The quickest way to get those files on the Linkstation would be to connect the USB drive to your PC, then transfer them over the network to the Linkstation.