Author Topic: Can I use a mirrored disk2 as a disk1 in a couldstor?  (Read 1229 times)

Youcancallmeray

• Calf
Can I use a mirrored disk2 as a disk1 in a couldstor?
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »

Hello, I have 2 cloudstors. One works fine and the other one needs a new disk1.  I bought the second cloudstor without a disk, so don't know if it is working or not (assuming it is at this point). I installed a new disk 1 but get the 6 flash red light - need firmware. Tried the firmware update faq2, but the second couldstor is not found. Then tried the TFTP faq3 procedure, but no blocks ever get served. Would I be able to put the new disk in the working cloudstor as disk 2 then set up raid1 which should copy the firmware (?). Then remove the disk 2 from the working cloudstor and install into the non-working cloudstor as disk1? The idea is to make the new disk bootable in the non working cloudstor. Would this work?

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: Can I use a mirrored disk2 as a disk1 in a couldstor?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »

First make sure you have a backup.  If something goes wrong you can loose your data.

It should work, but you don't need to build a RAID1 (mirror) array.  This would take 12-24 hours.

Leave the disks independent, the firmware partition is mirrored anyway even if the data partition is not.

What I don't know is if the working CS will give an error after removing the disk, and if you will be able to get rid of the error.

After installing the new disk in the diskless CS, be aware that you have to change the network name of the CS.  If not, you will have duplicate network names.