Author Topic: eSATA read/write performance HD-QL8T  (Read 1490 times)

nadams

• Calf
eSATA read/write performance HD-QL8T
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »

I purchased a DriveStation Quad 8TB drive from Newegg to be used as a digital surveillance storage drive. I have the drive set up in RAID5, and get great read and write performance. However, I don't get great performance when trying to do both at the same time.

If I have the cameras recording (peak of around 15MB/sec write throughput), the replay of already recorded video is choppy, sometimes skipping several seconds at a time. If I stop recording, the playback is normal. Playback of a single camera usually comes in around 1MB/sec read speeds...

In my opinion, this should be no problem for the DriveStation to handle. In fact, we previously were recording on a single 2TB drive and it was able to handle all the cameras recording, plus playback, with no performance issues. The only reason we added the DriveStation was to increase retention time.

Any thoughts on optimizing my setup to get better performance? I'm using an Optiplex 780 with the standard eSATA port. I've also tried a PCI SATA controller, and using the eSATA header bracket plugged into an internal port. All exhibit the same symptoms.

Thanks in advance.