Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo keeps dropping from network  (Read 27635 times)

realborat

• Buffalo
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo keeps dropping from network
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »

Link it directly to your PC Via lan cable and test it for a while to see if it is going to drop connection.

Also, I understand it is disappearing from Nas navigator Have you tried Pinging the LS in that stiuation?

ursolino

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 09:11:01 PM »

I have the same problem...

My LS-XH2.0TL drops from the network... cannot connect via http, map drive, ftp etc. Although the IP address still pinging. just restarts take the plug out of wall. I have this NAS for almost 2 years working flawlessly, same router same settings and some day it just start dropping. The problem persists even when using a cable connection with a crossed cable.

Firmware 1.60 (DTCP-IP:1.60-20120615)

Any ideas?? Can it be over heating or some other hardware issue?? I strongly doubt it is a network issue...

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »

for Linkstation Pro Duo, Firmware 1.64 was just released 12/17

kevindsingleton

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »

Is 1.64 supposed to fix this problem?  My brand new LS-QVL366 is dropping off of the network, and I can't ping it, after about five minutes.  That's not even long enough to upgrade the firmware.

Is there a fix, or do we just return the device, and buy something else?  This is not what I expected.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 03:59:44 PM »

Dropping off a network, or slow file transfer is a different matter. To check if the issue is your linkstation or your network (settings, hardware, cords), plug the linkstation directly into a computer (the computer must have the same IP/Subnet range as the Linkstation) and directly test your transfer speeds, or test if it drops connection. If you still see dropped connection, or slow file transfers, change the cable - if you still see an issue, it might be the linkstation Ethernet frame size (in GUI) - set to a larger size. If you still see an issue, you might have something going out on the LInkstation.     If you don't see an issue, something in your network is causing drops or slow file transfer. You might need to give the linkstation a static IP.

migzy

• Tatanka
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »

same problem here and i've been having these issues since firmware 1.60 running on LS-WX2.0TL/R1, the problem seems to occur randomly when transferring files over wi-fi to the nas, files can be of any size, before you point at a network issue, I'm a network engineer so the dropouts are not network related.

NAS has a static IP address currently running firmware 1.64, I have also applied a forced firmware update, various times. Frame size is set as default as it has always.

Note ***the problem only occurs on file tranfers, playing movies and so for from the NAS i've never had an issue***

Issue occurs transferring files from both windows 7 pc and mac lion.

Only way to resolve the problem is to turn off the NAS with the on/off switch.

This is a very annoying issue and should be looked at more closely as it's seems to be affecting various hardware and points to a firmware problem.

thanks

Migzy

Joozt

• Calf
Hi Re: LinkStation Pro Duo keeps dropping from network
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problems and tried all solutions provided in this post, though with no results. Even after a FW-update from 1.56 to 1.61 it also introduced the problem with updating DTCP-IP. see here.

I know some about ethernet networking, so I was quite confinced that the problem was with the LinkStation, though I found out it was not in my case.

I had a fixed IP address set to .253. My home ADSL- modem/router (Thomson TG712) has a fixed IP at .254 so it made sence to me to keep al fixed IP addresses in my network within the same range. The range for DHCP is .1 to .100. When browsing my router settings one day I finally found that my router only uses IP addresses .1 to .252 and .254. Of all possibilities I had used .253, which was the only one that I should not use, though this is not mentioned in any documentation at all. Finally I found some indirect clue on the internet that mentioned the usage of the .253 address for the USB port on a router (not my model). I still don't know if this is so in my case, but after changing the fixed IP address of my Linkstation to any other addres but .253 all my problems were solved. Now I can access my Linkstation at all times, copy large data files and stream movies via Notbook and Mediaserver even through a wireless connection (wired I still more reliable).

Probably this is not the case for the most of you but I just wanted to let you know that the LinkStation can actually be a great NAS and after complaining at Buffalo it seemed to be my own fault after all. Hope that it helps atleast some of you out there.

Kind regards,

Joost (Netherlands)

madcynic

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »

Just great. Got myself a LS-WX4.0TL/R1 on Wednesday. Pushed some files onto it, abysmally slow. Figured it was my g-style WiFi. So, purchased an n-capable adapter. 

Transfer speeds increase, but now - and only now - I'm seeing my NAS drop from the network after moving files to it. Needless to say, it's unacceptable that I can have either a stable, but terribly slow (around 2 MB/s) or a quick (around 20 MB/s) connection that kills the drive after a while.

And seeing as how this issue is unresolved even though it has cropped up in July 2012, I have little choice but to return the unit to the vendor. Pity that my first experience with a Buffalo product is this.

madcynic

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »

Btw, what seems to avoid the issue - I'm not gonna say solve, as it is no solution - is to limit the transfer speed. I limited my ftp upload to 4 MByte/s and am not seeing the issue now. Looks like the NAS can't handle quickly incoming data...

SpatialZ

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 10:47:02 AM »

An update from Linkstation Pro Duo owner who posted here back in July 2012 that I was also plagued by this problem, seemingly about the time upgraded to 1.60.  Back then I finally figured out how to install v1.57 and have seemed to limp along with a functional NAS ok since.  The dropping from network issue went away and the drive gets written to constantly from security cameras storing content on the drive 24/7.  If ever that once per second  transfer is disrupted I would get notified.   No need to reboot the NAS for many months now!   Initiating a connection to the NAS from a client PC (ie. file explorer) on the network seems to be stubborn and at times requires a pre-emptive running of Buffalo NAS Navigator from that PC just to discover it on the network.  Along with that connection lag disapointment, file transfer speed is not stellar.  Not as speedy as I believe I remember it when initially configured.   Perhaps I changed some settings which invoked this performance change also.  No way of knowing unless trial and error or quality tips from users.   The NAS is CAT5 connected to network and assigned a fixed IP internal  address of 192.168.1.81 in case that is of value to earlier speculation and discussion.  Good luck with other owners trying to get some days and months of life out of this box until the ultimate trouble free value NAS is produced!  btw I have use of a $20k+ Drobo unit with 8x2TB drives from my employer that is nice but far out of personal $ expenditure limits.

motomysza

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

Hi any chance you can share the 1.57 firmware? I cant seem to find it anywhere on the web. And my NAS has been sitting in my drawer unused (because it`s useless in current state).

prschwob

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2021, 03:19:55 PM »
I have a LinkStation LS-QVL/R5 and HAD the same problem. It was so bad, I was prepared to order a replacement. Then I did move the little switch at the back of the unit to the DOWN position (away from AUTO) and that totally solved the issue.
I probably moved it up a couple of months back, thinking that it was the Function switch (was reading the wrong manual!)
Anyway, with the switch down, the unit is performing perfectly.