Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo keeps dropping from network  (Read 27615 times)

Tspeight

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo keeps dropping from network
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »

I'm glad it's not just me.... I got my first buffalo box for home last week and have been having this trouble ever since.  I never had this difficulty with the ones I use at work.

SpatialZ

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »

Linkstation has been content with a static IP and in operation over a year.  Now it drops off the network as others describe.  DHCP not an issue, 'On" switch on the back, no other IP confict as other speculate.  Router says the device is inactive.  It just operates with the solid blue light on wasting electricity until unfortunately you have to unplug the power to cold boot.    Perhaps if ping it is there?  No matter -- it wont comunicate or accessible via web interface.  Considering the manufacturer warnings to never cold boot why doesnt these units have a graceful power down button?    The only change recently was that 1.60 firmware update and nuisance nagging until it was complete.  Given the box is worthless at this point I am up for a fix/any fix.  I obtained the 1.57 firmware zip file but am trying to figure out how to push onto unit.  The admin panel seems to only have an interface for updating.  I keep hunting in forum

Tspeight

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
There seems to be a rash of similar instances this month.... hope Buffalo's doing something about this. I'm tempted to try to return the thing to Amazon and get my money back.

SpatialZ

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 07:35:46 AM »

Forcing the Linkstation Duo Firmware from version 1.60 to version 1.57 seemed to resolve my issue.  The box no longer drops off the network and it has been over 12 hours.  Buffalo does not make it easy to locate the zip file or force the firmware install but instructions are found on this message board.  Considering the many problems with 1.60 Buffalo should at least publish the older firmware package with force settings assigned.  Only 1.60 is displayed on download page.

Edited Reply 7/30/2012:

Update!!  The LinkStation Duo dropped OFF the network after about 48 hours this time!   Roll back of firmware did not resolve after all!  I have no clue and am inclined to abandon any more time with troubleshooting or hoping for a fix.  Perhaps I can yank out the 2TB drives out of unit and hunt for another NAS that can give me some maintenance free secure recording.

adamjacques

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »

tried same as you when saw you said it had worked... same end result where drops off eventually....

What I don't understand is some we use are fine - same backup program, network configs etc at sites - tried same firmware versions and everything but can't seem to get them to stay online everywhere.

did you find a different NAS to use?

lorentzyeung

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »

i have the same problem too, i am sure my setting is static IP, firmware 1.6, and i have tried restoring to factory default setting too, but nothing is useful. 

Hammie5150

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

I have the same problem.  How can I fix it.  This did not start until the most recent firmware, as far as I can remember.

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »

I am sure you have the same problem, but if you actually read the forum, if you need any answers to your questions, You should know that you need to let the forum know , exact model and firmware, and any other relevant info. ;-)

vwrodrigo

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 12:03:48 AM »

Hi, I have the same problem wiht my NAS (LS-VL187). It keeps dropping the wireless connection! It happens when I´m transfering large files or a long transfer of small files.

I've reasearched and lots of people (even from Buffalo) says to change the frame size, but this does not solve the problem. I'm already thinking on ripping the disk out of the NAS and put it into a small server (it's the only thing which will really work as a NAS and be reliable).

Everyone attributes the problem to the network when it's clearly a device problem!!

Not to mention that the AUTO mode does not work either. It just goes to sleep and never wake up again.

If someone has the solution to these problems please post it! Thanks!

In case you want to discuss my email is vwrodrigo@hotmail.com

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »

Which firmware?

vwrodrigo

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 11:20:54 AM »

motomysza

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »

I just bought the device and have the same symptoms device stops responding and have to unplug it from power to restart.

Firmware 1.62

I`m starting to think i made a big mistake buying this device :(

TVerm

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »

I have the same problem too.

Another problem is that the only help seems to be a PM which is painstakingly annoying.

I rather have a good solution it's ridiculous that help seems to be one person at a time instead of posting a proper solution.

I'm thinking of buying a good nas.

It is clear that you get what you pay for.

The Buffalo is utter rubbish for me up till now.

TVerm

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »

So this topic is dead now?

Ridiculous.

We want a solution!!!

JB2020

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »

Chill, it seems the magic fairies cannot or will not fix this problem for you - I deduce there is some dodgy hardware aspect to this story that made it into the production run. The reason I say that is the problem seems to crop up across firmware versions, and yet some units seem to work just fine, whilst others are tempermental. External problems such as the network its situated in could also cause issues, but given the growing number of reported problems and different network setups, the likelihood of this becomes increasingly small, additionally in my case I replaced the offending NAS unit - made no other changes to network et al, and everything works fine now, albeit with no Buffalo hardware !

So your options are RTM assuming its still under warranty, or just rip the drives out, buy a different NAS and go on your merry way.

Personally I chose the second option and since then haven't had a single problem.