Author Topic: DriveStation Axis Arrives Today-Want To Back Up LS Duo  (Read 6380 times)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
Re: DriveStation Axis Arrives Today-Want To Back Up LS Duo
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:28 PM »

Okay, thanks!

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »

As far as the differential back-up.  Do I need to do a normal one first, then change the job to differential afterward once the first normal back-up runs?  It seemed that when I set the job us as differential, it took three hours but it ended up not copying anything over.  Can anyone help?

Let me clarify.  I had done a normal back-up prior while not at home.  When I got home, I reformatted the USB drive, and then created a differential back-up job.  While this was running, I added some subfolders to a source folder that was on the NAS.  After the back-up was complete, like three hours later, all that showed up on the USB drive were those folders which were empty as I had not added anything yet.  Shouldn't al least an entire back-up had occurred?  Anyway, Overnight I again reformetted, and then ran a normal back-up, no issues, worked fine.  Now this morning I changed that job to a differential which will run next week.  Will this now work fine or have I set myself up for failure?  Will the differential just add any new files and erase ones that may have been deleted?

Also, is there anyone who can help with Novastor?  Their forums have not been so helpful.  I am just trying to do a simple back-up and create a disaster recovery.

Anyone?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:32 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be thick but I just want to make sure this all works as planned.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »

You cannot defrag the drives through the interface but you can do a disk check on any disk. The unit acts almost like the USB Disk is internal. You have all the same options except for using it in a RAID. So if you have disk errors set up through the email notifications it will send you an email if it finds an error ont he USB Disk as well.

As far as this, It does this for the NAS, now that I have the USB drive installed, will it automatically do it for that?  I just got my nightly e-mail report and it shows the capacity and usage for the NAS and the USB drive and then shows the disk error status for DISK1 and DISK2 but not the USB.  Any thoughts why it is not reported?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 06:31:52 AM »

The error reporting can only be done on the internal HDD's. The best way to test the USB HDD is to either run a disk check or a SMART test when its connected to a PC.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 06:53:04 AM »
Thanks! I can just manually do that easily. As far as my differential question, anyone with some insight? Strange one to me.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »
What's the question exactly?!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »

Reposted:

As far as the differential back-up.  Do I need to do a normal one first, then change the job to differential afterward once the first normal back-up runs?  It seemed that when I set the job us as differential, it took three hours but it ended up not copying anything over.  Can anyone help?

Let me clarify.  I had done a normal back-up prior while not at home.  When I got home, I reformatted the USB drive, and then created a differential back-up job.  While this was running, I added some subfolders to a source folder that was on the NAS.  After the back-up was complete, like three hours later, all that showed up on the USB drive were those folders which were empty as I had not added anything yet.  Shouldn't al least an entire back-up had occurred?  Anyway, Overnight I again reformetted, and then ran a normal back-up, no issues, worked fine.  Now this morning I changed that job to a differential which will run next week.  Will this now work fine or have I set myself up for failure?  Will the differential just add any new files and erase ones that may have been deleted?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »

Just did it again, is not backing everything up.  Very confusing.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

It is only like backing up three folders.  I have reformatted, I have set up a new hob and deleted the old one, Ihave added the folders that need to be copied.  No luck.  What gives?  I chnaged to a full everytime and will have ro manually delete old jobs I guess?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »

This back-up function is really messing me up.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »

Another thing I just noticed, I formatted the drive as XFS however it shows in Windows as a NFTS.  What gives?

Also, I may have an issue here.  I have  a disk image of one of my computers on my NAS that also backs up to the USB drive I have.  My guess is if needed, I can't access that image file from my computer if I have to boot from my recovery disk since it is in XFS format, right?  If so, now I need to buy another USB drive that I can directly access from my computer. 

I can't directly plug in the XFS formatted drive into my desktop and recover the image, can I?  If so, how would I recover the data if I needed to? 

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »

Windows does not know what XFS is so it just assigns it a file format of NTFS. Strange I know, but I get it too. If you want any files from your linkstation, not just a disk image, you would have to access the linkstation from the Pc and copy it to the PC or another form of media. Most restore programs cannot access network locations. If you needed to recover data from the USB drive and this was the only location of the data then you could use a PC running an application called UFS explorer. You could also try using linux to recover the data. And finally you can use another Buffalo product to recover the data.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »

So basically, I need a portable USB drive to hook up to my theoretically dead desktop and that USB drive has to be formatted as FAT32, NTFS or some other Windows friendly format, right?   I could copy the files onto that (the USB drive formatted in NTFS or FAT32)  from the NAS or the USB drive attached to the NAS (from another non-dead pc is what I am inferring).  It does not matter that those drives are XFS, I should still be able to copy data from them to a FAT32 formatted drive, right?

So, off to buy yet another external HDD, right?

Lastly, can you answer the backup dilemma from prior posts regarding why I can't get a full backup of my NAS to the attached USB drive?  I am perplexed by this.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »

Yes, purchase another drive. As for the backup, make sure you check the box for full back up. This will do a full back up the first time around and then send only the changes after.