Author Topic: DriveStation Axis Arrives Today-Want To Back Up LS Duo  (Read 6432 times)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
DriveStation Axis Arrives Today-Want To Back Up LS Duo
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:29:41 AM »

As the subject says, I have a 1 TB DriveStation Axis arriving today.  I will use it to back up my LS Duo.  So I don;t spend 5 years screwing with it, can anyone give me the step by step?  I want to:

1.  Format in XFS

2.  Connect to LS

3.  Create back-up job

Am I missing anything?  Can anyone give me the simple step by step to get this up and running and functional?  Also, will I have to do Checkdisks/Defrags/Scan disks or whatever on it and if so is there a way to automate?  Anyones help is appreciated.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
Re: DriveStation Axis Arrives Today-Want To Back Up LS Duo
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »

Anyone?

Digital_Snacks

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »

Hi RingFinger,

You should be able to connect the DS to the Duo USB port (im assuming this is what you want to do and not connected to a PC...)

Go the web admin page of the Duo, System\Storage and format the DS.Then setup your backup from the system\Backup page.

Let me kow how it goes, im inrerested...

Cheers,

DS

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »

Digital_Snacks is correct, format it through the Web GUI and not your PC. Once your format is complete, enable disk backup on both the backup source folder and the USB folder. Then you can go to the backup tab and create the job.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »

Lost me a little there.  Are you saying I set up a folder, say "LS Backup" on the USB drive after formatting?  I can do that through the web gui?  How do I enable back-up?  Also, I have five shared drives(folders I guess you would call them) to back-up, do I have to enable each to back up and do I do that through the web gui?  I am confused here. 

Also, is there a way to automate maintenece on the usb drive?  Like doing a defrag or checkdisk weekly?  Is this necessary?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »

Here we go, step by step.

1. Plug in the drivestation axis to the linkstation

2. The Linkstation automatically creates a share folder for a USB drive called USBDisk1.

3. You need to go to the shared folders tab and edit all 5 of your shares (or any shares that you want to back up) to have disk backup checked under folder support.

4. Go to the system tab, storage and then click on the USB disk and choose format. If the size is 2TB and above make sure you check GTP disk.

5. Once the format is complete you will need to go back to the shared folders tab and click on the USBDisk1 share folder and make sure that disk back up is checked.

6. Go to system, then backup and create a new job.

7. Choose any options that you want for your backup

8. To add the folders you have to click the add button. A window will appear with the source folders on the left and the destination folders on the right. Give this window some time. I have seen it take 5 minutes to load due to the number of folders. Add the folders that are on the Linkstation on the left and then add the USBDisk1 share folder on the right.

9. Apply your backup settings and that should be it.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:12 AM »

That sounds simple, thanks.  I'll now give it a try.

Are defrag and ckdisk and the like necessary for this usb drive and is there an easy way to automate?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »

You cannot defrag the drives through the interface but you can do a disk check on any disk. The unit acts almost like the USB Disk is internal. You have all the same options except for using it in a RAID. So if you have disk errors set up through the email notifications it will send you an email if it finds an error ont he USB Disk as well.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »

Oh okay, understood.  So I will have to set this up for a seperate notofication or because I allready have the e-mail for errors set up fro my NAS I am allready good to go?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »

Anyone?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »

So, since I have it set up for my LS, it will automatically report on the DriveStation and I don't have to set up any checks to be done?  So, I do nothing and it reports on it?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »

Okay, set it up and some questions:

1.  I have it set up as a normal back-up weekly.  I assume this just writes over the older files?  This makes sense to do?

2.  I can't see the USB drive from windows but I see it through the web access for the NAS.  Is this normal?

3.  When I set up the job, many folders were listed however I only chose the five shared (main ones) folders and not their subfolders.  By choosing the main folders will the subfolders automatically copy/backup?

4.  Is there any way to see the files in the USB drive to verify they are there?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
I'll try and answer these as best as I can:
1. A normal backup means it will copy ALL the data on the LS to the USB each time, what you want to select is a differential backup.
2.yes, this is normal.
3. Yes, by choosing the main share, every sub folder of this share is backed up also.
4. Connect the USB to the LS, map the USB HDD in my computer by typing \\IPOFLS\USBDisk1
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »

1.  Will change that, thanks!

2.  Okay

3.  What I have are five folders, one for each user and the Media Server folder.  Each one of those has subfolders that are created in the Windows interface.  You are saying that it will automatically pick up those subfolders and I do not need to specify them in the back-up job?  I just need to specify the five main folders?

4.  So, in My Computer I just type that in the address bar up top and it will map to just that specific computer and I would have to do that on each computer?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »

4. Open My Computer/Computer -> Tools -> Map Network Drive -> where it says folder type: "\\IP-Of-Nas\USBDisk1" then click Connect.

It will then appear as another drive letter in My Computer/Computer.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!