Author Topic: Issue connecting a 3TB HD in the USB port of a Linkstation Duo  (Read 8024 times)

liliputman

• Calf
Issue connecting a 3TB HD in the USB port of a Linkstation Duo
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »

Hi Guys, I need your help. I have the following Linkstation Duo;

Name: LS-WXL29C-LNAS

Firmware version: 1.54

Problem:

I have a 3TB seagate connected to the USB port. It comes out in the System > Storage but it doesn't show the capacity nor does it show as an extra shared folder. I also tried formating it as EXT3 and XFS (with and without checking the GPT portion) but it always says;

Error

"Failed to operate disk. Please resubmit after restart"

I also tried mounting it as a partitioned hard drive as 2TB and 1TB but the same problem still.
Help! what do i do? Is there a maximum capacity for the USB hard drive size?

?:smileysad:

liliputman

• Calf
Re: Issue connecting a 3TB HD in the USB port of a Linkstation Duo
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
bump!

schievelbein

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
Join the club of unsupported customers.
I have a Linkstation Quad and have the same problem.
Buffalo only supports 3TB drives if you buy one of their new products.
They have NO intention of supporting 3TB drives on any of the OLD products, including the ones that are in the stores and being sold within the last few months. Buffalo will also NOT release the firmware code in order for us to do the very minimal recompile in order for the units to support 3TB drives. All of this is because it would cut into their profit margin to have perfectly good hardware support current backup devices such as the WD 3TB USB drives. So, I am sorry to say, but you are stuck like MANY MANY more of us are, with unsupported hardware, still within the warranty period, but without the functionality they promised on their website and at the store, like "Plug your USB drive int o the USB port...", only they forgot to tell you that it had to be an OLD or SMALL harddrive...

Enough ranting, but the answer is an I quote their customer service "Buffalo has no intentions or plans on supporting drives over 2TB on any of the OLD hardware"

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »

Linkstationss on 1.54 firmware and Terastation V's on 1.10 firmware support using 3TB internal and external drives. What model drive are you trying to attach and did you check GTP partition?

schievelbein

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »
That is all fine and dandy IF Buffalo ever releases firmware 1.54 for any of their recent enclosures. I have a LinkStation Quad - LS-QL/R5, that I purchased NEW just a few months ago, but Buffalo is not supporting it because they want me to throw it away and buy a new PRO version. When are they going to release firmware 1.54 for the LS Quads?

liliputman

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:37 AM »

@jotin

"Linkstationss on 1.54 firmware and Terastation V's on 1.10 firmware support using 3TB internal and external drives. What model drive are you trying to attach and did you check GTP partition?"

Yes I tired formating on both my PC and the LinkStation in GTP. But this still did not solve my problem.

:smileysad:

So frustrating.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 08:45:45 AM »

liliputman, what is the model of the drive that you are trying to use?

Schievelbein, 1.54 firmware will never come out for this unit. I'm sorry that you purchased a unit that is 2-3 years old from a retailer and they didnt tell you how old the unit is.

liliputman

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »

@Jotin;

It's a 3TB Seagate External powered HD, this exact one in fact;

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/expansion/expansion_desktop/

quarkle

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »

liliputman,

I had the same issue with a 3TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB drive and my Linkstation LS-CHL with firmware 1.54.  After spending hours trying to figure it out I finally got it to work, if you're still having problems hopefully this will work for you too.  Try this:

Format the entire drive as a single XFS filesystem from a PC running Linux (other partition schemes and/or ext3 should also work).  Make sure it is mountable after formatting it.  Then plug it back into the Linkstation.

In System > Storage, select the usb drive and click "Check Disk".  After running for a while this should pop up the same error message as when it tries to format the disk, but this time after you login the usb drive should have been automatically added as a folder.

It seems almost too simple, but it worked for me!  :D

Blaise

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »

quarkle's solution above works.

wish I had read it before confronting this real head scratcher.

My eventual solution as a windows user was the same.

1. Forget experimenting with the numerous combinations of file formats, partition sizes, disk types etc. in winows.

2. Create a linux usb key drive (well documented on the net how to do this- search boot to linux from usb) I used a ubuntu 32 bit version and built the key from a downloaded ubuntu iso using Universal-USB-Installer. All freely available on the net.

3. Plug the external hard drive to be formatted and used with your buffalo storage into the pc / laptop before booting the machine from the usb key drive. (and make sure its turned on)

4. Boot the pc / laptop into linux from the key drive. Remember you need to change the boot priority / drive in the bios to do this. (To enter bios setup try pressing F2 or Del as computer starts) Else search for your computer model and term 'enter bios' on net. This will give you key combination required.

5. Once in ubuntu you should see the external hard drive listed (a bit of clicking through the menus may be required)

6. Right click on the drive and click format.

7. On the next screen select open utility. This opens a drive formatting application.

8. Unmount the drive if it is mounted by clicking on the unmount button.

9. Delete all partitions and volumes using the delete partitions button. (make sure the drive selected is the one you want to be working on as this will delete all data) and only do this if like me you are interested in creating a single large size drive.

10. Create a new guid partion.

11. Format the partion to xfs.

12. Unplug the drive from laptop / pc and plug into buffalo storage.

13. Open settings interface and browse to storage and select the external usb drive.

14. At this point the disk may be visible but with no data re disk size etc.

15. Select the disk and click on check disk.

16. When check disk has finished the full 3TB plus of disk space will be accessible.

BillBlue

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »
the instructions above by Blaise worked great for me.  Only difference is I had to format the 3Tb Toshiba drive from the NAS web interface.  The check disk kept failing.