Author Topic: Correct Set Up?  (Read 1079 times)

alun2812

• Calf
Correct Set Up?
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

Hi,

I have had my NAS drive for a year or so now but never felt that it was ever set up correctly.  Its a Linkstation Duo 2.0t.  As well as back-up, I am using the NAS drive for iTunes media storage across a few iTunes accounts all accessed from the same Mac over my network.  

Here is how it is set up:

I have one shared folder set up called iTunes with all our media in different folders inside the shared folder i.e. "music", "movies" etc.  and a number of different iTunes user account folders e.g. "Alun's iTunes".  That seems to work ok so far.  However, when switching between users on the mac sometimes the iTunes accounts loose grip of the data and we end up with a bunch of !!!! next to each file.  Is this the correct way of setting up iTunes on the NAS?  Also, the NAS falls asleep now and again and the only way of waking it up seems to be to restart my Mac - surely there is another way?

I have a few more questions if I could hassle you some more:

under shared folders/folder set-up should I enable restrictions on the folder settings and add local users which I have set up under each Mac/iTunes account? It seems to work without it?

Under extensions/media server I have found an "iTunes Server" what is this and should i be doing anything with it?

What is the squeezebox server? should this be enabled?

under system/power management should I have "Synchronization with UPS" switched on?

Under network/web server should my "web server settings" be disabled? same for "my SQL server"?

Thanks very much in advance.

Alun