Author Topic: Windows 7 cannot access LinkStation LS-CHL  (Read 2743 times)

jjh

• Calf
Windows 7 cannot access LinkStation LS-CHL
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »

Hi,

I purchased a Buffalo LinkStation LS-CHL device, and have been trying to connect to it with my Windows 7 Ultimate laptop.

I can see the device in NASNavigator, and I can access the web control panel, but none of the following works:

- "Browse" in NASNavigator (nothing happens)

- "Map remote default share to drive letter" in NASNavigator ("Failed mapping. Remote default share is missing.")

- Connecting to network drive in Start --> Run or in Windows Explorer --> Map network drive ("Windows cannot access IP. Error code 0x800704cf. The network location cannot be reached.")

However, when I try with a Windows XP laptop, I'm able to connect without a problem.

I have updated the firmware to version 1.54.

I have tried to change the "Network security : LAN Manager authentication level" to "Send LM & NTLM -  use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated?", as instructed in general FAQ, but that doesn't help. I have also read many of discussion on this forum & on other sites, but haven't found any solution.

Would somebody be able to help?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Windows 7 cannot access LinkStation LS-CHL
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

How about if you just go to start and then type in \\theip or \\thename ? Can you access it then? Could there be any kind of application blocking access? Are you wired or wireless, and if you are wireless, have you tried wired? Are you able to connect to the XP machine?

jjh

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

- I have tried both the \\theip and \\thename, no success.

- I'm using the Windows Firewall, and have also tried disabling that. I don't know what else could potentially be blocking it.

- Normally I'm using wireless connection, but I also tried a wired connection.

Unluckily I'm not able to try the connection to XP machine, as it's my work laptop, where I'm not able to create a file share.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »

Try plugging the linkstation directly to your pc and reset the unit. You should be able to see and connect to the unit. If you can, then it is something with your network. If you cannot, try booting into safe mode and see if you can access it. If you can then it would be something on your PC blocking the connection.

jjh

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

I really don't know what happened. Today I was planning to try the troubleshooting based on your instructions, and before that I once more tried the "normal" way. This time I was able to access the file share without any problem. I don't remember I would have changed anything after the previous attempts (and there were MANY of those attempts), but now it seems to work.

?

In any case, big thanks for your help - luckily I'm able to use the LinkStation now.