Author Topic: LS-W1.0TGL/R1 dead after firmware upgrade  (Read 5726 times)

nivenj

• Calf
LS-W1.0TGL/R1 dead after firmware upgrade
« on: January 10, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »

Hoping somemone can help me here.

Tried to update my firmware to 1.08 as per instructions. Unit rebooted and power indicator flashed rapidly. Eventually upgrade reported no repsonse after 480 seconds. Waited a further hour, no joy. Switched unit off then switched back on. Power light and network activity light come on sold immediatly. no repsonse from power or reset button. No link light on LAN port. Fan is off. no matter what I do, there is no response, no flashing lights, nothing.

Have powered off and left for 30 minutes, switch on, same response.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Actually, I was mistaken. The LAN is live, however it is unresponsive, cannot ping either previous IP or 192.168.11.150. All firewalls are disabled during test.

Message Edited by nivenj on 01-11-2009 04:16 AM

kevin

• El Toro
Re: LS-W1.0TGL/R1 dead after firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 06:29:44 PM »
   Have you tried booting into EM mode, holding down the reset button as you boot the unit up?

nivenj

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
   I did try this but nothing different happens. It just doesnt seem to go through any sort of boot process.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:49:13 PM »
Does the NASNavigator find it?

nivenj

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:13:48 PM »
   Nope NasNvi does not find it. I am fairly sure before the issue, I would get no power until i pressed the power button at the back. Now the power led and LinkACCT lights come on immedietly and stay on permanently with no flickering or flashing. Power and reset buttons are unresponsive and Fan never comes on.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »
Try booting up the unit while you hold the reset button in. If the symptoms are the same after that, i would contact your local support for warranty replacement.

nivenj

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:25:22 AM »
   Tried that already, but to no avail. My understanding is that I should be able to ping the .150 address when the unit is in EM mode, but I never get a response. To me the system board is fried. Problem is, Buffalo Warranty states I need origonal reciept to return, but I no longer / cannot find it. Secondly, I cannot send the unit with drives intact, I use the unit for backing up work data, and as such the only way I can let those drives out of my control is to take a drill to the platters or personally take it in for degaussing, both of which void my warranty. Anyone got a spare system board ;-). Do you think I could buy just the board from Buffalo direct?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »

You should be able to get a copy of the receipt from the retailer.

As far as the drives, the first thing we do ( at least in the US ) when we receive a device from RMA is to put the drives in a format box, and they get low-level formatted several times over. We understand the potential privacy issues at stake. I'm not familiar with the European RMA procedure, so it would be best to call or email them to find out what they do with the drives when they get a defective unit.

nivenj

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:47:10 AM »

Already tried that, Retailers "policy" is not to issue another reciept as I have no proof I bought it from there (was store bought, not online).

I cannot return the drives irrespective of what the process is for wiping drives. Buffalo do not have a Non-Disclosure agreement with my employer and as such I cannot send the drives.

Is it not possible for me to purchase a replacement system board?

Message Edited by nivenj on 01-17-2009 02:48 AM