Author Topic: Lack of authentication for sending email notification still not solved  (Read 9651 times)

jfkelley

• Calf

I tried the solutions in the "Solved" post on this subject ("Setting up SMTP for LinkStation ProDuo").  No good.  My ISP requires authentication.  I cannot find a free, open email server, and don't expect to be able to in this day of aggressive spamming.   (FYI: The BlueBottle recommendation is no longer free.)  Even if I WERE to find some fly-by-night smtp server foolish enough to leave itself open to spammers, it wouldn't be there the next time my TS needed it to be (or would be blacklisted by every ISP on the planet).

Is anyone updating the firmware for the Terastation Live?  How hard would it be to throw a couple of authentication fields into the email notification module?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Lack of authentication for sending email notification still not solved
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:02:22 AM »

I will pass up this request to my corporate office,

thank you 

krisludington

• Calf
   Please add my voice to the request.  The email notification is desparately needed, but useless without SMTP server authentication. 

randytucker

• Calf

Paul, please let management know that the need for authenticated SMTP is growing.  Unauthenticated SMTP, if it is not already (except for 1 or 2 exceptions), is going the way of the 8-track tape cartridge and the 5 1/4" floppy.  SPAM is too big of an issue for anybody to continue keeping an unauthenticated SMTP server.  As soon as an ISP sees spam coming from that server, it will be blacklisted.  So... please let us know what is being done about this feature request. 

Thanks.

Stevecol56

• Calf

Here Bl**dy Here. Come on Buffalo sort this out. a Fantastic product at a fantastic price, but such outdated thinking when it comes to SMTP mail messages! Even my Router has twigged on to the fact that there are just no "Open SMTP relays" anymore. It was such a simple firmware update for them, so why not you? we are not asking for a major re-write of the firmware, just a couple of authentication settings (U/N and Password!) how difficult can that be?

BUFFALO..........................SORT IT!!!!!

jwinograd

• Calf

Paul,

Any update from the corporate office on this? It is a huge issue! It used to be fine for Comcast subscribers like me, but recently Comcast moved to require authentication, so it is no longer working. As everyone has already pointed out, no legitimate ISP these days is going to provide an open SMTP server. Thanks, Joe

jwinograd

• Calf
   Btw, has anyone installed a local SMTP server to solve this problem? If so, please let us know what product you're using. I'm tempted to give Softstack's Free SMTP Server a spin, but if anyone else has already achieved good results with a local SMTP server, I'd appreciate hearing about that. Thanks, Joe

jfkelley

• Calf
Crosslink to another thread
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »

By the way, this thread is similar to:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=176

Which was marked as "solved", even though it isn't.

This has been an unaddressed problem (with a simple solution) for years.  I don't know what the hold-up is.

Message Edited by jfkelley on 05-04-2009 10:26 AM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Crosslink to another thread
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »

Stevecol56: I've said it many times around this forum. We don't listen to orders and we don't write the firmware. Tell us to SORT IT again and it will result in a ban this is a warning.

Even though this has been an ongoing issue we have units that have updated SMTP procedures. I have not received any word on whether this will be added in future firmware revisions for older units and when a definitive answer is received we will let you know. Thank you for your patience.

jwinograd

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:03:37 PM »
   Dustrega, A wee bit defensive, I'd say. He didn't use any foul language, and even said it's a fantastic product at a fantastic price. His language was somewhat aggressive, but not harsh enough, in my opinion, to be threatened with banning. Seems that you're a Buffalo employee, so you should realize that you have a job because people like Stevecol56, me, and all the others in this forum have purchased Buffalo products. As a person who deals with customers, you need to understand that we get frustrated with issues that drag on for months. If you are unable to deal with customers, even somewhat aggressive and frustrated ones, in a professional, courteous manner, and not resort to threats of banning, then I suggest that working the forums may not be a good profession for you. Your statement that you don't write the firmware is absurd -- classic finger-pointing. All of us bought products from a single vendor -- Buffalo Technology. I couldn't care less if you don't manufacture the firmware, or, for that matter, the drives, the enclosure, or anything else. I bought a complete product from Buffalo and I expect you to support it. If I wanted to buy firmware from one party, drives from another, an enclosure from a third, etc., and put the NAS together myself, I would have done that. But I bought a complete product from Buffalo and, in my opinion, Buffalo should be responsible for the entire product. Regards, Joe

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »
Yes you would be correct in most of your statements.  You are correct that my job is not to get into debate therefore I won't submit to it at this point.  I realize your frustrations and that of every user in this forum and have submitted every issue/bug/suggestion I find to our corporate office.  What they do with it from there is their responsibility (whether it gets sent to our firmware developers in Japan or not is not my discretion).  I do not submit orders (i.e. demands) however and will not tell my superiors to "SORT IT".  Therefore, orders and demands in my judgement are not kind requests and therefore not looked upon kindly in these forums.  I realize that you expect these products to do what they are advertised to do and understand that these are the reason that you purchased them.  There are limitations however since these devices are storage (i.e. backup) and not servers.  Please understand that I am here to help as much as I can and I do so in as professional of a manner as I can muster.  The issues are noted and as good as submitted I can assure you and will have an answer as to what will happen.  In the future please note it is my job to not only support here on the forums, but to also moderate them (i.e. make sure that possible riff raff and troublemakers are kept off) and keep it as clean of an environment as possible.  I am fair that I give a warning and from there it is within the users bounds as to whether they stay or go.  Thank you for your understanding and patience with both the process of this issue and with my somewhat short replies.

jwinograd

• Calf
   I stated my position and you stated yours. I agree that we should not get into a debate.

One of your comments really caught my attention: "There are limitations however since these devices are storage (i.e. backup) and not servers." I have two TeraStations (1TB and 2TB), and while I do use them for backup, I also use them as servers. I'm not saying that they're appropriate as servers for a large business, or even a mid-size one, but I certainly view them as capable SOHO servers. I typically have a half-dozen computers running in my home/home office environment, and all have drive letters mapped to both of the TeraStations at the root. Works great! Why do you feel that these devices are not servers? Regards, Joe

disputator

• Buffalo
   Hmmm, not that it should mean something but my feel says the same. 8-) Built-in FTP-server, SMB server - sounds pretty much like a file server.

Jason

• El Toro

This product is nearing if not already at the end of it's life cycle, I know we ceased production of this model awhile ago. The last firmware update for this drive was posted in January, between that one and the one before it, over a year passed. And all that update addressed were the media server issues, that was a fix we needed to make to make an advertised feature work better with certain devices, specifically the ps3. That being said, the unit was never designed to work with authenticated smtp and therefore we might never add this feature for it. Since it's release we have released several models with this feature. There comes a time in a product's life cycle where new features stop being added, and it looks like we are approaching that point with this model drive.  However, these requests have been passed along, which at this point is all that can be done. 

Message Edited by Jason on 05-05-2009 11:03 PM
Message Edited by Jason on 05-05-2009 11:06 PM

jwinograd

• Calf

Jason,

What new/current TeraStation models support authenticated SMTP? One of the hard drives on my (admittedly old) 1TB TeraStation just died, so maybe it's time for a new TeraStation instead of replacing the failed drive on the old one. Thanks, Joe