Author Topic: Lack of authentication for sending email notification still not solved  (Read 9649 times)

Jason

• El Toro
Terastation Pro II and Terastation III.

igelect

• Calf
Re: Lack of authentication for sending email notification still not solved
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »
   I Have just purchased a Linkstation Mini with the latest version of the firmware, and I can confirm that this device also does not have smtp authentication available. Why on earth is this still the case.

daspoon

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »
Notification: enable
SMTP Server Address: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port No.: 587
Authentication Type: login(smtp-auth)
POP3 Server Address:
POP3 Port No.:
SSL/TLS: tls
enter gmail account email address in full and password
good luck

Orko

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 05:57:37 AM »

Genius! This works for my gmail account, anyone got the settings for a gmx account?

RobinBlood

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »

where are all those geeks and freaks for linux-servers?

On the HS-DHTGL/R5 you have the possibility to enter a Subject and five different Mail-Adresses.

As it cannot be too complicated to create a firmware to support smtp auth, it also cannot be too complicated to create a smtp-server relay on an internet Server somewhere. Who of you administrates a root-server for online gaming??

just think about some way to scramble the PW and put it in one of the recipients, send the complete stuff to the relay-server which redirects to the real one and -> done !!

or even don't scramble the PW and make a note somewhere that a dedicated accout has to be created because PW is not protected, or even tell us what PW to use and anyone can decide if they want to use it or not.

Is the information that your Fan just broke so highly sensitive that someone can blackmail you with this data ?? ;-)

Recipient Mail Addresses are checked, so the inserted string has to be an emailaddress.

So I would suggest to add dummy-data (@d.d) to the fields which don't already match an email adress

Mail Notification -> Enable

SMTP Server Address -> relay SMTP-Server
Subject -> *choose any* TeraStation Status Report
 Recipient Mail Address 1 -> real SMTP-Server address - Host Name (gmx, gmail, yahoo) + @d.d
Recipient Mail Address 2 -> real SMTP-Server port (zero "0" for default) + @d.d
Recipient Mail Address 3 -> User Name (if it's the email, don't add @d.d)
Recipient Mail Address 4 -> Password (scambled, unscrambled, personally I don't care) + @d.d
Recipient Mail Address 5 -> Destination Email Adress

So for GMX I would set up a unsafe.mail@gmx.net

SMTP Server Address -> relay.server.com
Subject -> TeraStation Status Report
Recipient Mail Address 1 -> mail.gmx.net@d.d
Recipient Mail Address 2 -> 0@d.d
Recipient Mail Address 3 -> 1403289@d.d      or     unsafe.mail@gmx.net
Recipient Mail Address 4 -> passwd123@d.d
Recipient Mail Address 5 -> private.mail@gmx.net

So go an earn your respect and make thousands of people happy.

and don't forget to post the relay server address ;-)

twistax

• Calf

I do not see these settings under my  Maintenance>Mail notification

I only see Mail notification "ENABLE" and SMTP server....  no username or port and whatnot?

PhilipSargent

• Calf
Re: Crosslink to another thread
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »

My ISP, which I have been using as an unauthenticated SMTP server for this purpose for some years, has just re-engineered all its email as a re-badged GMail system - which requires AUTH for everything. So my LivestationPro emails broke.

However, I have found a temporary hack.

If your destination email address is on many normal hosting systems, such as mine on my  email address @klebos.com , then if I set the SMTP server to be the server directly (e.g. smtp.klebos.com) on the machine processing my email, then the message gets delivered.

Now actually, of course, I want the emails in my GMail mailbox... but that's OK, I can either set GMail to extract the messages using POP or I can use a forwarder on my own hosted email account...

Makes  sense, once you think how SMTP servers work deep down.

Philip