Author Topic: Upgrading Disks in LinkStation Duo  (Read 6758 times)

pertinax

• Calf
Upgrading Disks in LinkStation Duo
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:25:16 AM »

Hi,

I have a LinkStation Duo with a pair of 500GB disks in Raid 0, my firmware version is 1.54

I have ordered a new pair of 1TB disks and wish to perform an upgarde.

Is it possible to do this by just swapping one drive at a time and waiting for the mirror to rebuild or do i have to start from scratch?

there doesnt seem to be a precise guide anywhere.

Most people who have tried this say it worked but the 1TB drive ends up with a 500GB capacity

if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Upgrading Disks in LinkStation Duo
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »

I cannot help you upgrade the HDD's as it voids the warranty. If you put in a 1TB disk a 500 GB disk already in there and try to rebuild the RAID array it will not gain the space. It will only use 500GB of the new HDD.

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »

OK, thanks for the reply.

I guess it looks like a total rebuild then ?

can you suggest the best course of action to take that will be fastest way to set up my two new ITB drives on raid 0 ?

Many thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »

Like I said I cannot help you upgrade the drives. I know that other users here will be able to though. User Davo might be able to help you, he's a pretty helpful guy.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

First of all, there is no way of doing this without loosing the existing data on the unit.

1. Create one large NTFS partition on each of the new HDD's and insert them into the Linkstation, the error LED will start flashing 6 times.

2. Download the TFTP image for your unit from here: ftp://24.153.165.234/array1/share/nas-recovery/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery%20LS-WXL%201.33.exe? and the firmware from here: http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/ls_series-154.zip?, you will also need the Nas Navigator software from here: http://www.buffalo-technology.com/files/downloads/NASNavigator2.zip?

3. Connect the Linkstation directly to the PC/laptop via the LAN cable and turn off all anti virus and firewall software. Set the IP address of the LAN card on the PC to be 192.168.11.1 and subnet of 255.255.255.0

4. Unzip the TFTP image and run the TFTPboot.exe file, once the black screen appears and is stuck at "accepting request" press and hold the function button on the unit for around 10 to 15 seconds. Once this is done you will see two sets of blocks passed.

5. Wait 2 - 3 minutes and run the Nas Navigator, it will as you to automatically correct the IP address, click NO, you should see the unit in EM mode and the IP address will be something like 169.254.23.49

Set the IP address on the PC to be 169.254.23.50 (make sure the first 3 sets of number are the smae but increment the last one by one digit)

6. Unzip the firmware and double click the LSUpdater.exe file and it should find the linkstation. Click Update and this should install the firmware for you.

NB. If during the firmware update you get a message like "Could not confirm weither partition exists" open the LSUpdater.ini file and change NoFormatting = 1 to NoFormatting = 0 , close and save the file, run the LSUpater.exe file again, right click on the title bar and select debug, make sure all the options on the left and right hand side are selected and proceed with the update again.

Let me know how you get on :-)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:53:45 AM »

Thanks for the info davo,

I allready have the 1.54 firmware so i guess thats that part done allready

The link you gave for the TFTP image doesnt seem to go anywhere, do you have another link?

I gather i can make these partitions the full size of the disk ?

I am still waiting for one of the drives to come so i will keep you posted.

I must admit, i thought it would be a more simpler process than this, oh well.

Thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:09:46 PM »

I've just tested the TFTP file and it download fine (using firefox 7.0.1)

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 04:24:06 PM »

Thats really frustrating because i use IE9, and im not about to change, I will have to do it through VMware i guess.

Scrap that, i have it now.

I will let you know how i get on when my disk turns up.

Thank you for all your help :smileyhappy:

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

After running the TFTP and holding the function button etc, it would still not be seen by NasNavigator 2 even after waiting 3/5/10/20 minutes, eventually i was able to proceed after several attempts.

So far so good, apart from the part in your instructions where you say "right click on the title bar and select debug" i was unable to do this as the LSUpdater just went off and started formatting the drives etc.

at the moment i am "waiting for finish of LinkStation booting" which seems to be taking forever.

once this is all done, can i asume that i will be able to change the IP address of the LinStation to something more appropriate for my network and then connect it back up to my router ?

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »

davo

I am in serious trouble!

everything was going perfect, the new raid 1 array was set up, all folders where created, usernames / passwords etc. basically i got ait all back how i had it before.

I then copied all my files from my pc to the NAS, re mapped drives etc accross my network, all tested and working.

i powered the NAS down put it back where it used to go and powered back up and everything was fine.

I ebven tested web access etc, once i was happy i deleted the files from my PC.

I came into my office today and noticed the 6 red flashes on the NAS (what do i do now) i cannot acces the NAS at all, all my files were on it.

can i just put the old drives back in and everthing will revert back to how it was before?

HELP!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »

To gain access to the unit again you will need to TFTP it, however this will erase any and all data on the HDD. You dont keep a backup?

I dont know what will happen if you put the original HDD's in put put it like this, it wont make matters worse, you may gain access to the data again.

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »

What an F ing nightmare this is, i wish i had never started, it took about 9 hours to get it all working fine and then "POP" its all gone.

At least i could recover all my files back because of windows 7.

As it happens i put the old disks back in and everything went back to how it was.

the question is, what went wrong and do i go through all this again?

I wish i had never swapped my Qnap for this blasted thing.

Any suggestions davo?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »

E06 usually equals bad firmware flash, although i have seen some issues with 1.54 being used in a RAID configuration. If you are to do it again maybe use an older version.

pertinax

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 03:47:08 PM »

davo, just to let you know that i had been on firmware version 1.54 since it came out, and had no trouble at all with the old set up, why would i have needed to flash the same firmware again anyway?

I am starting again, i have put both the 1TB drives back in (Formated) i get the usual 6 red flashes, i run the TFTP and hold the function button for 10 to 15 seconds and get nothing on screen.

NAS just blinks Blue and has been doing so for 15 mins now.

what now?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »

Post a screen shot of the TFTP loader screen.