Author Topic: Mac OS 10.6.8 LinkStation Duo & Time Machine problems  (Read 3362 times)

b727plumber

• Calf
Mac OS 10.6.8 LinkStation Duo & Time Machine problems
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:26 PM »

Hello,

I created a computername_123456xxxxx.sparsebundle file and moved it to the LinkStation folder, but every time I start Time Machine, it creates a new sparsebundle file instead of using the one that I created.  The reason I want TM to use the one I created with the MAC address is that I limited the size of the sparsebundle so that TM won't take up the entire 1TB (per the Buffalo FAQ).

Also, in the TM specific help screen for LS Duo, I can't find where to do this step:

"Enter the Mac’s “Computer Name” from its sharing page as the [Target Host Name]. For the [Target MAC address], enter the Mac’s Ethernet ID from Advanced Settings in its Network Preferences page. Click [Apply]. "

Where is this in the web config page??? Under Extensions-Time Machine, you can just choose the target folder.  There are no other fields in which to enter the Mac's Computer Name or the Mac's Ethernet ID.

Thanks!

LS-WX2.0Tl/R1

Firmware 1.54

NASNavigator ver. 2.40

Mac OS 10.6.8

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Mac OS 10.6.8 LinkStation Duo & Time Machine problems
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »

What firmware version are you running? With 1.54 you really should not need to manually create one anymore. Time machine should just be able to see the Linkstation automatically and back it up.

b727plumber

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »

I'm running 1.54.  It does see it and TM is currently backing up to it just fine.  The problem is that, per the "FAQ (4 of 5): Manual sparsebundle creation for Time Machine (please read this)?", I would like to limit the size of the sparsebundle so that it doesn't consume the entire Link Station Duo Raid Array of 1TB.

How do I limit the size of the sparsebundle that TM is churning out as we speak??

Thanks!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »

Right now the only way to limit the file size would be to actually have the two disks in JBOD and assign the time machine folder to that one disk.I have escelated this option to be included in a future firmware revision.

b727plumber

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »

Thank you for elevatiing this!

I bought the Link Station Duo so that I would have physical redundancy (Raid1) on my backups, including Time Machine backups.  If there is no way to limit the size of the TM sparsebundle, then eventually, there will be no room for other files.  I am confused regarding the FAQ that you wrote "FAQ (4 of 5): Manual sparsebundle creation for Time Machine (please read this)?".  Doesn't this apply in my situation some how???

Also, I have 3 macs in the household that I want to allow TM to backup to the LS Duo.  How will they each compete for space??

There is a competitive solution that can be found by searching the internet for "?Easy Time Machine Setup".  Do you think that an option like that could be added to our firmware that would allow us to select the GB limit for the sparsebundle?

Thank you for addressing each of my questions!

Have a great day!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »

That FAQ is only for older firmwares... I am debating removing that post.

As for space, they will take up as much as they can. Instead of limiting the file size of the sparsbundle what will most likely happen is that a new feature will be added to the firmware to allocate an amount of space to an actual share folder. So you can create a folder called TM1 and set it to a certain size like say the HDD size of your Mac and then do the same thing for another computer called TM2.

b727plumber

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »

Thanks so much for escalating this issue!  I anxiously await the firmware update that will allow us to limit the size of the TM folder.

In the meantime, should I abandon all hope of creating a size limited sparsebundle and trying to copy my existing (it finished!) one into it?  If it is just not going to work, please let me know so that I don't waste anymore time/effort trying to force it to work.

Thanks!

b727plumber

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »

Jotin,

What is the status of:

"...a new feature will be added to the firmware to allocate an amount of space to an actual share folder."

Thanks for your help!

Zebra1

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:19 AM »

Hi,

I have the same problem too; 3 Time Machine backups gradually filling my Linkstation. It would be great to be able to limit the size of the Time Machine folder.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »

I beleive that this is still being worked on. It might have to be something that is changed on Apple's Time Machine application though.

richgian

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

Regarding:

Also, in the TM specific help screen for LS Duo, I can't find where to do this step:

"Enter the Mac’s “Computer Name” from its sharing page as the [Target Host Name]. For the [Target MAC address], enter the Mac’s Ethernet ID from Advanced Settings in its Network Preferences page. Click [Apply]. "

Where is this in the web config page??? Under Extensions-Time Machine, you can just choose the target folder.  There are no other fields in which to enter the Mac's Computer Name or the Mac's Ethernet ID.

I had the same problem.

The model LS-WV2.0TL/R1 manual I downloaded from the buffalotech site has instructions for setting up Time Machine starting on page 65. On page 66, step #7 discusses entering Target Host Name and Target MAC address but I couldn't find a place to enter this data. After some trial and error I decided to skip step 7 and went directly to step 8 and everything worked fine. Maybe the downloadable manual is for another version of OSX ?

MacPro vintage 2008, Intel single quad-CPU running OSX 10.6.8

Linkstation LS-WV2.0TL/R1