Author Topic: LS-CHL234 NOT allowing Web Access  (Read 6131 times)

CJMillar82

• Calf
LS-CHL234 NOT allowing Web Access
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »

Firmware 1.54

LS-CH2.0TL-V2

Macbook Pro 2009 model 500GB hd on OSX Lion 10.7.1

NASNavigator2 installed and working fine (for the most part)

Used to be able to log into the web configuration, can't anymore.

Can't set up web access (was having issues that i was going to describe in more detail, until I went to log in tonite to get the details, and it keeps saying incorrect username/password).

I can log into the drive as a registered user directly via mounting the drive on my mac with my username and password.  I can back up via Time Machine.  Drive in Auto mode - every few hours it says it can't back up - drive not found, and i need to unplug and replug in drive before it "finds" it again.  Log in with regular username and password.  Backed up just fine now.  So I went to the web config to finish setting up the web access and my old USB drive connected to the LinkStation Live.  No luck.

Go to web config, and it won't let me log in with my regular username and password OR with admin/password (checking to see if somehow it got reset to default).  Keeps saying incorrect username/password information.  Incredibly frustrating as I still need to do the following:

- set up remote/web access so I can back up when traveling for work

- set up my older USB drive as an additional storage space for FTP files for work to allow coworkers to log in and upload/save/download key work files that are too big from email

- download the app so that my iPhone and iPad can access this via web - VERY IMPORTANT since I work in online marketing and use all three devices (phone, tablet, laptop) in client presentations and day to day work when home and on the road

INCREDIBLY frustrating.  Especially since I've had this drive for less than a month.

CJMillar82

• Calf

Update: used other's tips on here to reset to default password by restting the LinkStation Live with success.  Now able to access both web configuration as well as direct drive from computer.  Now getting error in setting up web access saying "port forwarding failed, use manual setup" despite the fact that I'm doing the manual setup.  

After extensive research, it looks like I am able to access this remotely (finally) after a lot of manual configuration.

Still no idea why the password issue appeared in the first place.

Next testing the iPad and iPhone apps to see if I am able to reach them and if I can also use the old USB to copy my music files to.

CJMillar82

• Calf

Okay NOW I have shared folders set up however I can't 1) get the iTunes server to work.  Question - is this because I am backing up using Time Machine?  How do I set up the Buffalo drive to back up just my music and videos so that I can use the server?  

2) I tried manually copying my music and videos to my old USB drive (attached via the Buffalo LinkStation) with a simple click/drag and it said I did not have permission to do so, despite that I am an admin on both my own computer and the shared drive.  Help?

Ideally I'd like to create a backup process that backs up my music and videos to my old USB backup drive and then runs off that to stream to my iPhone, iPad, etc.  This way I'm not taking up tons of space on the new Buffalo LinkStation.  Is this do-able and if so, how?  Thanks.

I also forgot to add that after a backup where it said cleaning up backup, finalizng, etc., and seems to complete the backup via Time Machine properly, it doesn't reflect that in the status of "last backup on" which refers to a time much earlier and NOT the recently completed backup.  How do I know that the backup is working properly?  Okay so that's question 3) lol.

CJMillar82

• Calf

More updates.

Back up via Time Machine seems to be working again and I can access the drive both remote and local.  Web access and web config issues seem to be resolved.

iTunes server successfully set up and recognized by my iTunes on my macbook HOWEVER now when I try to play anything it just shows as blank.  No music, no nothing, even though it comes up as shared music server.... please help!

Next attempt is to use with iPhone3 and iPad2.  Wish me luck...

Jotin

• Big Bull

As for the interface not accepting the username and password, you might have just been putting it in wrong but I'm glad that simple reset took care of that.

With the webaccess not working, it was probably a port forwarding issue that you had taken care of.

What format is that USB drive in?

Have you tried getting web access to work on your iOS devices? I have it working on my iphone 4 and it works easy and very well.

I have not used time machine and itunes at the same time but you should have each service have its own folder to keep it separate.

With the backup that is built into the interface, you cannot choose per file type. But if you were to organize your files into folders for each type, say music and then videos, then you can create backups per folder to that USB drive.

For iTunes, did you set the folder to the folder that contains all of your music?  Is Time machine running at the same time?

CJMillar82

• Calf

Definitely was NOT a forgot username and pword issue, not sure why it happened.

Web access - yes was port forwarding I fixed manually.

USB is formatted through the Buffalo LinkStation so it is compatible to work as an additional drive in the BuffaloNAS format.

Time Machine is separate folder and restricted access so only me/admin from this computer can access for security purposes.  It's running but takes unusually long, often saying backing up x of x GB, and both x and x go up.  Rather than saying backing up 110MB of 200 MB for example, it will say backing up 200MB of 200MB, and in a few min say backing up 210.5MB of 210.5MB and repeat for over an hour and not complete backup.  It's like it gets hung up?!

iTunes and Time Machine were running at same time, but completely different, separate folders.

As for backing up - I can't see where I can select what on my computer to back up to the folder on the USB.  Currently setup is USB drive > iTunes folder, Movies folder, Pictures folder (all separate folders, all under the USB drive connected to the Buffalo LinkStation).  I see that I can only back up the entire computer to the USB drive which doesn't work (for mult reasons, starting with that drive is too small to hold anything other than just music and some photos and vids).

Help?  Thanks!

CJMillar82

• Calf
LS-CHL234 NOT allowing Web Access
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »

STILL Having web access issues.

It worked for a day and now not at all.  HELP!

Router is Linksys WRTU54G-TM.

Assigned static IP address 192.168.0.102 via router.

Assigned port forwarding Application: LinkStation, Start port: 9000, End port: 9000, Protocol: TCP, UDP or Both (I selected both), IP address: 192.168.0.102, enable (checked).

Web Configuration for LS-CH234

Network > DCHP: enabled (since I set the IP to static on the router, it should always pick up the .102 IP address without having to manually assign it here - and when I tried manually assigning it here it says that IP address is in use, which makes sense since again it's manually set to static at the router settings)

Web Access Service: enabled

HTTPS/SSL Encryption: enabled

DNS Hostname: blank

Auto Config Firewall: disabled

External Port: 9000

Internal NAS Port: 9000

Exclusive session: disabled

Session expiration time: 10 minutes

WebAccess URL: http://buffalonas.com/CJTeknicksLS/?

Error message when trying to connect to BuffaloNAS.com on my server - Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.0.102:9000.?

What now?!?!?!?! :smileymad:

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL234 NOT allowing Web Access
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »

For web access, have you tried a different web browser. If you have it seems like this firmware instilation is having issues. I would reflash the firmware using FAQ 2 of 5. After the firmware update is complete log into the web interface and go to system, restore/erase and choose restore. This will restore all the settings back to default. At that point try again to configure time machine and web access.

As for copying the files to the USB... Through the interface of the unit you can only copy data that is on the linkstation to the USB. You should be able to select subfolders for the back up as long as the actual share folder that they are in and the USB share folder have disk backup enabled. To do that go to the share tab and then click on the share that you want to change. Under folder support make sure to check "disk backup". You will want to do this for both the source share folder on the Linkstation and the USB disk.

If you are wanting to copy data from your PC to the Linkstation then you will need to use a back up software. Novastor is provided for backing up the PC to the linkstation. For your Mac you will want to use Time Machine as you have been doing but you will have to choose the USB disk for the Time Machine backup.

CJMillar82

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »

I'll try the restore option.  Nothing else is working and from the sounds of it, I set everything else up correctly.  I've tried Safari, Firefox, and Chrome and none work for web access.  When will this firmware be updated as I know this was specific to Mac OS X. 

I can access the iTunes and just manually click/drag files to the USB drive when connected to the LinkStation.

Trying restore option now and will report back with updates shortly.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »

I do not have a roadmap of the updates, but I do not think that it is a problem with the firmware in general, just the instilation that is flashed to your unit.

CJMillar82

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »

The FAQ 2 of 5 doesn't have any information on how to do that on a MAC?!?!?

Please help! This is driving me insane....

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »

You cannot do this on a Mac, only on a PC.

CJMillar82

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »

Great well I have a MAC.

I did the restore anyway - and it worked for all of an hour.  Now back to the same error as a few posts back.  No web access.

I bought this drive SPECIFICALLY because of it's ability to act as an FTP server for when I have to send large files to clients, and it seems like nothing works.

Please help me understand WHAT exactly I am supposed to do to have this drive work according to the features I was told it has.  

Web access STILL NOT WORKING.

CJMillar82

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

Even more awesome than the fact that the product doesn't do half of what is advertised coupled with the lack of support for a MAC (though it boasts it's compatible with MAC & Time Machine), I can get the web access to work by RESTORING EVERY SINGLE TIME I WANT TO ACCESS ANYTHING.

That means - I can use this for work if I want to constantly go in and update settings and users and access levels and folder permissions.  That's useful and incredibly efficient....

Sorry for the sarcasm. $200 for something that doesn't work and has been nothing other than a headache since day one isn't exactly what I call a good thing.

CAN ANYONE HELP RESOLVE THIS?  Or should I just return the product, go with a different brand (that actually works) and make sure to spread the word that Buffalo isn't worth the money - or headache?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »

what buffalonas.com name are you using?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!