Author Topic: Do you need 2 HDDs?  (Read 3714 times)

RogueTomboy

• Calf
Do you need 2 HDDs?
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:07:01 AM »

So I am still having issues getting my NAS to work and was wondering if it's because right now I only have 1 HDD instead of filling both bays.  My question is:

Do you HAVE to have 2 HDD's slotted for a Linkstation LS-WX1.0TL.R1-EU to work?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Do you need 2 HDDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »

Technicall no, but it will throw you an E16 error with only 1 HDD inserted.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

RogueTomboy

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:20:15 AM »

What's the E16 Error?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »

HDD missing.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

RogueTomboy

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »

Well I ask because I'm having a hard time getting my NAS to work at all (as per my previous topic post) and some people say it needs 2 HDD's to work and others say something else.  So I'm not really sure why I can't get my NAS to work at all.

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:33:33 AM »

hi Running Bull

I have two Buffalo linkstation Duo 4Gb NAS, both set to raid mirror so I end up with two at 2Gb.. each NAS has different content,

in my understanding that when in raid if a disk fails it will be receovered from the good disk and it is unlikely that two disks will fail at the same time.

reading your comment in your signature has got me thinking.. Am I covered in case of disk failure???

-------------------------------------

and secondly as an aside.. do you know why the two NAS have different options available even though they are the same firmware version v1.54, one (with the lesser options) was purchaesd a year before the other (with more options).

the options I am talking about are itunes server, squeezebox server, music track library listings are more comprehensive and it shows album art when playing tracks..??

user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:13:28 AM »

Thanks Running Bull.

it's off topic but can you help on by second Q.?

user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »

What are the exact model numbers of the two devices? If they are the same model numbers then the unit without the features will need to be restored. After that they should show up.

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:45:55 AM »

Thanks Jotin

they are both LS-WX4.0TL/R1-EU...

old one manufactured june 2010, new one june 2011

I will restore the old unit.. hope I don't loose the data...

here goes..

cheers

CD

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:47:43 AM »

You should not lose the data while restoring the interface.

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »

Hi Jotin again

the restore did bring up the extra options on the old unit, thanks very much...

can you help on one more Q about the differences, please.!

with the older unit I have never been unable to update the DTCP-IP, it always spends a looooooooong time (like 30 minutes) "downloading" and gets stuck, when i refresh the page I get the message below

"While firmware updating, Media Server update can not be updated completely. Please click 'Update DTCP-IP' button after establishing Internet connection".

I disable the media server and run the update again and it eventually says "completed" so I enable the server, setup the auto update and refresh time period and enter the shared folder location which is "mandatory".. I get a message saying the location for the DRM content has moved and will not be available (I have no DRM content so i ignore this message) 

then click 'save' but then takes a looooong time "saving data".. it gets stuck again and when I refresh I get the first message again..

"While firmware updating, Media server ... etc.."

So consequentially the old unit does not have the DTCP-IP enabled but the new one does not have a problem and is "Enabled(1.40-20110204)"..

does this matter anyway, is it important..?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 10:10:57 AM »

(DTCP-IP:1.40-20110204) is the latest version for this and it should be used automatically. For "Disk space for DTCP-IP contents" What are you choosing? Does this unit have access to the internet? This is also the same unit that you just restored correct?

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:46:09 AM »

Hi Jotin

there is no other option for the DTCP-IP disk space just "share" (the name of the shared folder which contains my media).. so I can not write or choose anything else.

both units are connected to the same router unit and thereby the internet (I have had it download a torrent or two but nothing recently)

and yes it's the old unit with the issues, the one which I have just restored...

note:

I have noticed that the cateloging/sorting list of the media has far fewer options on the older unit.. by cateloging I mean how you are able to select what you want to hear based on the tagging info...

the list on the old unit is just 7 items

Album

All Tracks

Artist

folder

genre

playlists

search

while the new unit without any issues has a list of 11 items

Album

All tracks

Artist

Artist Index

Artist/Album

Folder

genre/Album

genre/artist

genre/song

playlists

search

I do remember when I first got the old unit there were this many items in the list but the search did not work at all.. then after the first update to firmware the search worked but the list was reduced to 7 as it is now..

cheers for any help... thanks..