Author Topic: Bittorent not Working after Firmware update  (Read 75120 times)

Bobbo

• Calf
Re: Bittorent not Working after Firmware update
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 05:48:29 AM »

Following on from my previous post - I have configured a test desktop machine running uTorrent WebUI v0.370 from the PC itself - unsure if this is the version still in use by the Buffalo devices. uTorrent WebUI v0.370 was able to successfully download a file via magnet link, so this appears to be something specific to the Buffalo version of the uTorrent WebUI.

DickeFix

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:00 AM »

I have investigated this issue for many hours now. It seems like that DHT (Distributed Hash Table) network doesn´t work despite it is activated and magnet links need to include trackers that actively tracks the file to work. Magnet links from e.g. the Pirate Bay using the four standard trackers do not work anymore despite they worked great with Linkstation a few days ago. They still works with µTorrent on my computer, even without any trackers.

The problem in Linkstation may be due to that a parameter is not initialized by the software at start so it has a random value depending on the exact system state. The java script error message in the bittorrent log: JS error: [778] Unable to get value of the property '262': object is null or undefined?" also indicates that. From other posts in this thread it seems like the problem usally appears after firmware upgrade. However, the problem persists if one reverts back to old firmwares (I have tested 1.52, 1.56 and 1.58). I have of course also tried to reset the Linkstation and bittorrent to factory default and restarted both the Linkstation and my router. I really hope Buffalo reads this thread and fix this problem.

A temporary workaround is to include relevant trackers in the tracker list, either directly in the magnet link or by rightclicking on the torrent file in the download manager and selecting "properties". I just paste a long list of common trackers that I found in various torrent files and normally one of them tracks the file one wants to download. One can alternatively try to find a torrent file instead of a magnet link for the file that one wants to download by searching in e.g. Google on the hash value of the file. The hash value can be seen in the "General" tab when highlightning the torrent in the download manager.

chemic

• Calf
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »

Hallo everybody,

the soloution is here:  http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22891&sid=994e98e71b96d5781b9c5a6e3d7e7db1&start=0

everithink work fine...

god luck :-))

DickeFix

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »

Finally, I have got magnet links to work again, including DHT network!! I completely disabled the firewall on my router. I have previously forwarded all relevant ports for both http and udp traffic and activated UPnP to be sure everything was OK but apparently it was not enough. The strange thing is that everything works now even when I activate the firewall again. Maybe the UPnP function was reinitialized when I turned on and off the firewall or something.To make sure DHT works again, I used a magnet link with just the hash value (i.e. without any file name or trackers) and it works fine.

I am currently on firmware 1.58 but I think the same trick will work on firmware 1.60.

DickeFix

• Calf
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »

I was a bit too enthusiastic too soon. Although I the DHT network now works reliable with some magnet links, it still doesn´t work with other magnet links. It is difficult to pinpoint this problem. Maybe installation of the Transmission client is the only way to get a reliable bittorrent client....

Bobbo

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 12:14:08 PM »

DickeFix, thanks for your additional work and clarification on this - hoping for some feedback from Buffalo on this one soon - I've spoken with several colleagues who purchased Buffalo NAS drives on my recommendation who are all currently experiencing the same problem, so this seems to be a global issue.

I tried your recommendations my end involving DHT but still couldn't get magnets to start, additionally I tried right clicking the file after adding and going to properties, however the full list of trackers was already present for me, each separated by a blank line. I tried to clear and re-enter this but the issue was still present.

I can confirm your suggestion of using Google or similar to search for the hash value to download the matching .torrent file works fine, good thinking there! Hoping Buffalo can come back with something though as it kind of defeats the purpose of supporting magnet links. :-)

Cheers,

Bobbo

DickeFix

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »

Bobbo, yes lets hope that the problem is widespread enough so Buffalo takes it seriously. It is a  consolation that one is not alone and hopefully someone finally solves the mystery.

Note that I add additional trackers to the existing list of trackers of nonworking torrents. In fact I add a long standard list of 30+ trackers that I have collected from working torrent files. Normally at least one tracker is active for the file in question and the download starts.

The strange thing is that once a magnet link starts to work by using additional trackers, it continues to do so next time it is downloaded, this time without the need of any trackers at all! I tried it on several magnet links and they continue to function second time despite I erased both the original torrent and the downloaded data. Maybe there is some cache that remembers the seeders and peers of a magnet link even after the torrent and data are erased. Very strange!

itayd

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

I can confirm I have the same issue. Tried everything that was posted on this thread o fix the problem, but nothing worked. The only solution, as DickeFix wrote, is to download the. torrent file after googling the hash.

cbrkidd

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 05:11:27 AM »
First post as i have only had my linkstation pro for a matter days. From my perspective this is poor service ... Do these fware releases not go through stringent qa testing.
Im hoping a fix is released soon or my unit will be returned.

BeijingBT

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »

Hi,

I'm suffering from the same problem as everyone else in this thread.

So far I tried:

• Re-starting the device (xxxx times),
  • Restore via the web ui
  • Disabling and enabling the torrent setting in the extension menu, 
  • Re-initialize the torrent client in the extesion menu
  • Checking my router settings / changing ports in the torrent webui
  • Validating that utorrent works fine via my computer (mac and PC)
  • testing with both .torrent files and magnet links
  • Adding more trackers via the properties menu for a torrent download

Still no success. My torrent webui still shows 0 peers and 0 clients and the log tab shows the "cannot read ....." message.

I have not jailbroken the device and rebuild the firmware using other setups but that will most likely not happen either. I hate tinkering around in those black-screen "ui's" :-)

This seems to be a very common problem and I am surprised that there are no comments on this subject from Buffalo themselves?

Come on now, you can do better than this..!

peejayvee

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 09:30:27 AM »
Have the same problem as well. Magnet link doesn't work, it started several days ago. I Hope Buffalo fixes this immediately.

absalomie

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »

I have exactly the same problem. It's a real nuisance. Downloaded torrents work, but magnets don't.

DickeFix

• Calf
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

Thanks to all of you who report the problem; hopefully it motivates Buffalo to solve it quickly. However, it would also be nice to hear from people who don´t experience problems with Linkstation and magnet links to pinpoint the problem. Does the magnet link problem affect everyone or only those who upgraded to firmware 1.60? I had no problems with firmware 1.56 but now it doesn´t work. I even downgraded to firmware 1.41 and still got the same problem. Maybe the bittorent client setup got corrupted when it was upgraded to 1.60 and neither resetting nor downgrading helps? Or maybe the cause is partly external?

With some very rare exceptions, magnet links from The Pirate Bay now fails to start without additional http trackers. This implies - if I understood things correctly - that the µTorrent client in the Linkstation can neither communicate with the four udp trackers that are included in the TPB magnet links, nor with the site router.utorrent.com (or router.bittorrent.com) that µTorrent connects to in order bootstrap DHT networking if no working trackers are present. One of these problems may of course have existed before without anyone noticing it. Anyway, it is interesting to note that a magnet link for a file that recently been downloaded (and deleted) works second time without any trackers at all which indicates that it is only the DHT bootstrapping that has stopped working.

itayd

• Calf
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »

I can confirm that the problem started randomly a few days ago. I never upgraded the firmware - the box came with version 1.56. It worked flawlessly for a year then, just like that, it stopped working. After it happened I tried upadting to 1.60, but the problem did not disappear. I think it has nothing to do with the firmware, but rather a server component controlled by Buffalo, or even the format DHT works in. 

Observation: magnet links DO work with normal files, i.e. linux distributions (try downloading OpenSuse, for example - it will work!). I have a bad feeling that the agent has been tampered with intentionally by Buffalo as a result of the recent heat TPB has been getting.

DickeFix

• Calf
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 04:40:50 PM »

Thanks for that valuable information, itayd! Then we know for sure it is due to some external reason that probably can not be fixed without Buffalos help or by installing the Transmission client instead.

I have the same problem with openSUSE magnet links from TPB. Maybe the distribution you downloaded had a http tracker included or...?