Author Topic: Drivestation HD-HS500Q Stops responding  (Read 2121 times)

aaronaowens

• Calf
Drivestation HD-HS500Q Stops responding
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »

I have had this Drivestation  HD-HS500Q for almost a year now and recently it will just stop repsonding and not allow me to read or write to the drive. Not sure if I can reinstall the firmware or something (I've looked for it and cannot find it). I can get it to work for a few minutes if I uninstall it from the device manager and then reboot my computer and let windows 7 reinstall the drivers but it goes unresponsive in just a few minutes after that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Drivestation HD-HS500Q Stops responding
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »

Have you tried changing out the USB cable or trying it with another PC?

aaronaowens

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »

I've not tried it with another computer but I have tried it with another USB cable, through different usb ports as well as through my Firewire card. I have another external hard drive that works just fine. I mainly use this one as my Pro Tools drive for audio recording since it supports firewire.

aaronaowens

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:14:31 AM »

Alright, so I've tried it all, different computer, different usb cable, different usb port, firewire port, reformat, uninstall/reinstall usb/firewire/hard disk drivers through device manager, I still can't get it to stay connected and recognized for more than about 30 minutes tops. It keeps coming up as a CODE:10 error. I have an extra 3.5" drive laying around that I had to RMA and now it's not in use, my newest question is, if I replace the drive in this enclosure with my essentially brand new drive, do you guys think this could fix my problem? It seems to me the only logical explanation is that the disk itself is bad so it quits responding after it hits a bad sector or whatever. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

aaronaowens

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 02:18:06 AM »

...Also, I should mention that the new drive I have and the drive in this enclosure are pretty much the same. I didnt get all the way into the enclosure since the screws on the shield were way to tight (will need to use more than my dinky little screw driver) but what I could see of it looked exactly like my Western Digital Caviar Blue Drives. So I doubt drive compatiblity would be an issue.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:54 PM »

If you are within warranty I would just exchange it. You might break something when you take it apart and the RMA department might reject it. However, I do not see why that new drive would not work in the drivestation. It might be the motherboard on the unit through.