Author Topic: Linkstation Stopped Responding After Attempting RAID1 Array. Dead?  (Read 8934 times)

colinmartin100

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Stopped Responding After Attempting RAID1 Array. Dead?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »

Thanks Chaz.

I may give this a go, saves it sitting in a box doing nothing at the moment.

Col

colinmartin100

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »

Well...

I did as Chaz suggested, and the first time E06, even with all options chosen in debug.

Next tried TFTP which wouldn't connect to my machine although I could see the ARP packets in Wireshark. I eventually found that stopping Comodo Firewall was the problem, leaving it running but disabling the firewall from within Comodo allowed TFTP access.

A few TFTP boots later during the update process and also noticing that at some point the IP changed back to the 169.* range (I think because DHCP became enabled again), the obligatory change from Japanese to English and I seem to be stable on 1.52 with RAID1.

It was still a bit bumpy, but I have a working RAID1 NAS for now. Looking at the changelog for 1.54 I think I shall be staying on 1.52 for now unless something remarkable is changed in latter versions.

Thank Chaz!

Col

buffalobrick

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »

OK, the followng is work in progress, problems I've encountered, possible solutions: Its not a definitive guide, as I haven't quite worked out the exact step-by-step proess I applied.

I do now have it working properly with 1.54 including RAID 1, and am able to force a re-update (1.54) on top in debug mode (both reformatting and not reformatting), which is installed without errors, shows future updates will (in theory) work - this is a good indication that the firmware has being applied correctly. 

I don't think the 'firmware' is at fault as such, I think the refurbished models from ebuyer (well the one I received) have an incorrect TFTP Version installed, which is incompatible with 1.54, if upgraded directly, especially if you select Debug mode with all options selected ie. select reformat. or remove existing disks and insert two blank Samsung 2TB Drives. (Many people buy these to replace the existing disks with larger)

In the past I've thought the firmware update had worked - only to start storing data -- then find future updates could not be applied due to 'disk not recognised' errors, ie. there was a problem with the disk layout/structure preventing an further update. I've only really started having 'bricking' problem since 1.54, though we do have a working one that can't be updated because of the 'disk not recognised' error, running 1.41 firmware, but in itself data is intact and working correctly.

Quite experienced with Buffalo Products (I DON'T WORK FOR BUFFALO), and bought another via ebuyer 2 weeks ago- one of the refurbished units. Firmware 1.54 is extremely 'iffy' upgrading, not sure but missing out interim upgrades such as 1.33, 1.41, 143 etc may be the problem. These can be downloaded by replacing the existing number 1.54 in the download link with 1.41 etc.

If you don't replace the stock TFTP, 1.54 definitely fails (consistently) each time if you attempt it using Debug mode and have reformatting selected/all options selected, which is the normal way I attempt upgrades if dealing with blank/new disks. (This then requires the use of TFTP to recover the unit)

If you do manage to install 1.54, check that you can install future updates by using Debug Mode to force a further 1.54 update over the top, as this often fails. Getting this working has taken a good few attempts.

There seems to me to be a mismatch between the installed older TFTP and the latest firmware, applying the correct TFTP solves the problem. I think its due to Buffalo adding support for larger than 2TB disks - the disk /format stucture/layout has changed.

Its seems the newer versions of TFTP are plug 'n' play , ie. you insert two unformatted hard disks and the drive will enter EM Mode,  rather than produce an Error with E06 (6 flashing lights), which then requires the TFTP process to be used to recover to EM Mode..

Solution:

Buffalo need to make available the latest version of TFTP (the buffalo FTP Site only has 1.33), which matches the current firmware. There are ones dotted around the internet, 1.41 Kirkwood, 1.43, 1.53. I think I had sucess with 1.41 Kirkwood. 

I found it better to start with two completely wiped Hard Disks at each attempt of restoration (using Paragon Hard Disk Manager connected to an external desktop). Also found restoring using the installed 500GB drives first, before attempting to upgrade disks to Samsung 2TB disks, if that is your plan.

There is definitely a problem upgrading these LX Series models directly to firmware 1.54 from whatever older stock version they are running when bought , the one received was Version 1.24.

There is also a design problem in that metal tabs which separate the drives are easily damaged in transit, and the plastic clips can break off. This is more of a problem with the heavier/larger drives due to a lack of packing material between the drives.

The one received hard drive 1 jammed diagonally, on receipt, but was able to remove the disk with a fair bit of force (no tools used) and then use a screwdriver to twist the drive separating tabs back into position.

Will try and replicate how I managed to get this installed, as I've a second unit to attempt with the drive mismatch error but data has to be backed up elsewhere beforehand. ie. the exact version of TFTP I used from ones found on the internet. Have a feeling it was TFTP Boot Recovery 1.41 Kirkwood, but I found several 1.33 (from buffalo site), 1.41, 143, 153, and one for the V-Series of Linkstaton.

Would prefer Buffalo make the latest version available, as 1.33 doesn't work when upgrading to 1.54, and using downloaded ones off the internet is not good practice if you don't know the files source.

When Bricking occurred I also had Comodo Installed, with all options disabled though. For subsquente updates I then used a different XP laptop/machine without any Antivirus software / Firewall installed, so Comodo may also be an issue. If you do use Comodo, worth using a machine wihout it installed.

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »

So... I first started this thread well over a year ago as it seemed that this issue behind all of this was related to an issue at the time with version 1.54

Previous update from Jotin

"

We are aware of the issue and I apologize for not getting to your post sooner. I was able to get the RAID 1 to work on 1.54 after a long list of steps that may not always work. We are working on a firmware update and are looking for a firmware version prior to 1.54 that worked with RAID 1. I apologize for the inconvenience.

"

So after getting it back up and running for the last twelve months and change I've running in RAID0 and biding my time until there had been suffcient code upgardes whereby I felt brave enough to try RAID1 again...

So today, I updated to version 1.63 using the download from the website (after a failed attempt at doing it via the webgui),    All updated fine, deleted the existing array, created the new array as RAID1.  It complained about it, exact message I cannot recall but from the gui all looked OK.  I could create a share and I could copy files to it.  However, the LED light and NAS NAVI were both complaining of a E22.  Odd considering I was happily adding files and accessing said files with no issues.

So after tranferring close to 500GB of backed up files back on the unit time came to power it down.  (Still flashing E22)   It's at this point the unit fails to come back on.  Just sits there with E06.  Effecitively dead...

So again, I go through the whole TFTP recovery process, getting it into EM mode, forcing the firmware 1.63 back on it, dealing with Japanese...  Attempt RAID 1 again.  Fails again.   

So again, I go through the whole TFTP recovery process, getting it into EM mode, roll back to only other version I have 1.54.  Attempt RAID1 again.  Fails again.

Now I'm back on ver 1.63, in RAID 0.  Stable but not happy as I can't use thing as I intended.  Is there something I'm missing here, do I have a defective unit / drives, or is there a special way, command line etc, whereby I can actually get this thing to work in RAID1?

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »

No you are not missing anything there is a fix to do with Raid in the new FW update1.64.

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 12:00:20 PM »

Right.  If it fixes it, obviously I'll be happy, but  well you'll understand if I don't hold my breath as this issues was known way back in v1.54...  

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »

Updated to the new 1.64 which was published today.

Update seemingly failed due to kernel issues. Not a great start...

Rebooted came back at 1.64 anyhow

Deleted the existing RAID0 array, progress reached 80% and failed with same error that it always fails with;

"Failed to operate disk. PLease resubmit after restart" LED flashes E22

According to the GUI Array now showing Not configured So I attempted to create a new RAID1 array anyway. Progress reached 20% and failed with same error that it always fails with;

"Failed to operate RAID array. Please resubmit after restart"

so I restarted the Unit...and it came back E06

TFTP time and force update time...

Debug with all options checked, get it back on it's feet, change language to English from Japanese.

Attempt the array deletion and rebuild and all the above happens again...

So basically the suggested hallowed fix in 1.64 has not been forthcoming.

Not really very good is it?

cristen_

• Tatanka
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »

After deleting the RAID0 array on your unit, when back under System -> Storage -> RAID Array, do you see anything listed pertaining to the RAID array not being configured and in "EDP Mode" ?

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 01:23:25 AM »

No didnt see that but I have made "some" progress.

Once I'd got it back to a working default RAID0 stage I chose to erase the thing.  This also failed with an error but when it reloaded I had no array configured so I attempted to build a RAID1 anyway.

Again it failed with the "Failed to operate RAID" error and came back in e06.  I TFTPd it and voila the RAID1 array was still there and was checking away nicely.  I felt it to check overnight and it came back with no issue, however when I reboot it it comes back with an E06.  So I TFTP booted it again, and it comes back with the RAID1 array still there but everytime I power cycle it reverts to E06 so I have to TFTP it to get it back.

How can I get rid of the E06 without deleing the RAID1 array I've took so long to build???  Will a firmware force delete the array and revert back to the default RAID0 array?

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »

"Will a firmware force delete the array and revert back to the default RAID0 array?"

I've answered my own question.  I cannot force an update as it returns the "partition not found aborting firmware update"

How is this possible considering I have a unit on RAID1, albeit one which needs TFTP boot to actually start correctly, and one which I can transfer data to and from?

Now I have a RAID1 finally I really don't want to force update and rebuild partition as I know this will revert it back to RAID0.  I must say I'm not particularly impressed with my Bufallo experience.  As a RAID0, default out the box solution it's never been a problem, but the experience of changing to RAID1 is laughable.  Certainly not a product or brand I'll be buying again or recommending to anyone anytime soon.

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:10 AM »

Spoke to technical support here in the UK.

Turns out that it looks like I have a faulty unit and that the TFTP boot I did has invalidated the warranty (no biggie as it's over a yr old now anyway) but to add insult to injury there is no maintenance on these or option to have it fixed.

So basically. RAID0 or nothing.  Not good.

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »

Can anyone help with the current state of my NAS?

its coming back in E06 everytime i powere cycle it now, try to force update with lsupdater with debug and all boxes checked it states "Format failed. update Aborted". And that's it...

so I have a device which I have in RAID0 but everytime I power it on it needs TFTP boot to start up fully.

Any suggestions?  Quite happy to flatten the drives and start from scratch here. Just want to know if its possible before I go and spend money on a new enclosure.