Author Topic: Linkstation Stopped Responding After Attempting RAID1 Array. Dead?  (Read 8938 times)

Sull

• Calf
Linkstation Stopped Responding After Attempting RAID1 Array. Dead?
« on: September 24, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »

Hi

Hoping someone can help...  I've had a Linkstation Duo for less than 24hrs now.  I upgraded the firmware to the latest version, 1.54, and began to transfer files to it with no issues.   I attempted to change from the default RAID0 to RAID1 by firstly deleting the array that's there as default to return it to normal mode.

Then I attempted to create a new RAID1 array following the steps in the manual but it kept returning the error "Failed to operate RAID array. Please resubmit after restart?" after several attempts.  I figured that perhaps the disks needed to be formatted before I could continue so I attempted to format Disk 1.  This also failed.  So then I power cycled the device to see if things would be better after that.

At this point the device no longer picked up an IP address so I can no longer access it and it's returning an E16 LED error "Unable to find the hard drive. The drive may be disconnected or may have failed. After shuttingdown, reinstall the hard drive.?"   I've tried swapping the HDDs round so 1 is 2 and 2 is 1 but no joy.  I've also tried the holding down of the fuction button prior to a power on but that just returns to the E16 blinking LED state.

Has this died on me already and I need to be returning it or is it something simple which I'm missing?

Sull

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Stopped Responding After Attempting RAID1 Array. Dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »

Following an earlier failed attempt of  the "FAQ (3 of 5): TFTP boot procedure" it turns out that when I have tftp server running and  it's at the blinking red LED state, if I held the function button down for a couple of seconds the blue LED kicked into life and my TFTP server then began to see the connection requests coming from .150

After the transfers had taken place, I began the FAQ (2 of 5): Force Firmware update procedure?. The updater could see the NAS but with a 169.x.x.x address.  Obviously I couldnt route to this with me having a 192.168.11.x address and typically this the range a device will choose when it cannot aquire an address via DHCP so I disconnected the NAS from my PC and plugged into router at which point it picked up a vaild IP.  Still I couldnt browse to it  but the Updater application could see it.  I followed the steps in FAQ 2 of 5 but this too wouldnt complete and I was left with the error ""Could not confirm whether the partition exist. Cannot update the firmware. Firmware updating is aborted"?

After looking further on this forum I found the solution to that in this post http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/LS-WSXL-install-problem/td-p/53124/page/2?

Like that user it also resulted in it being in Japanese but once I changed the language back to English I had finally returned my NAS to something I could use again albeit in RAID0.

Now the question is, shall I attempt to change it to RAID1 or is there an issue with this firmeare version 1.54?  I really can't be bothered having to go through all this again when it's something which should just work.  I've spent close to 4 hours trying to get the device back to a working state after performing steps clearly detialed in the manual left it in a state.   If i've purchased a NAS in which I cannot create RAID1 array, despite being supposedly able to, then it's pretty useless as thats the whole reason I went for a dual drive NAS.?

Can anyone from Buffalo (or someone with the equivalent knowledge / expertise) advise if there is an issue with 1.54?  If so is there a version of firmware in which RAID 1 functions correclt and is there a way to roll back to it?

I dont' want to start populating this NAS only to lose all the data when I change from RAID0.

Thanks.

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »

A quick BUMP in looking for an definitive answer to;

"Can anyone from Buffalo (or someone with the equivalent knowledge / expertise) advise if there is an issue with 1.54?  If so is there a version of firmware in which RAID 1 functions correclt and is there a way to roll back to it?!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:02:45 PM »

We are aware of the issue and I apologize for not getting to your post sooner. I was able to get the RAID 1 to work on 1.54 after a long list of steps that may not always work. We are working on a firmware update and are looking for a firmware version prior to 1.54 that worked with RAID 1. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sull

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:42:20 PM »

Cool.

Thats fine.  Issues occur from firmware to firmware and as long as theres a fix on the horizon I'm happy.  I have alternative backup soultion in the meantime.  Cheers for the update.

chazjn

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »

'Sull', I have exactly the same issue. Most annoying. Took ages to get it back up and running... took a punt and tried to create a RAID 1 again... but same issue!? arrghh!

Come on Buffalo, test this firmware first!! Or at least have a previous version available to download!

chazjn

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »

Just out of interest, how many of us bought from ebuyer.com on the £99.99 recertified deal?..

colinmartin100

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »

I'm an owner of a 'new' recertified eBuyer 1TB (2x500Gb) Linkstation WXL. Bought it for the RAID 1 capability, upgraded to 1.54 firmware and have ended up with a rather pretty brick for most of the time. Eventually after hours I've got it back to life using two different laptops and countless downloads.

Its in RAID 0 now, not what I purchased it for.

I've read theres probably going to be a firmware upgrade to fix thisand failrly I'm happy to wait a reasonable. My only question is, roughly how long? I've a limited warranty on this device so don't want to leave it resting until such a time as a firmware fix doesn't cure the problem I have and I no longer have a warrantly.

Just really wanted to add my name to the list of eagerly awaiting owners.

Is there any option to roll back firmware? Shoudl I even try, or will I risk having a brick again?

Col

Chiffs

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »

Im in the same boat as you Colin having recieved my recertified 2x500gb WXL this morning. 

Have spent most of the afternoon messing around trying to sort this thing out which with myself not being the best on computers i did not find very easy. Should not be a case of having to do that at all on an item that should work fine out of the box.

Even the instructions for changing from raid 0 to 1 are not clear enough and then after that it just does not work. To say im not best pleased is a little understatement.

So please Buffalo give us a little more information on how long this is going to take too sort??

Will forward this a link to this thread myself i think.

Chiffs

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:58:16 AM »

Right having spoken to Buffalo via email here is what has been said.

Please note the 3rd line saying that warranty has been voided by using TFTP tool. 

Considering this is the Buffalo forums page im not overly happy to say the least. I feel that a warning note should be added to the TFTP tool how to page so others dont end up voiding there warranty.

I will be trying what Buffalo Tech Helpdesk have listed and will post back my outcome shortly.

Buffalo Technology Helpdesk Reply

Thank you for your reply regarding your Linkstation.

Unfortunately the warranty for your unit has been voided by using the TFTP tool

Please get the latest firmware from our website:

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads 

Extract the downloaded folder to your desktop.

Disable any kind of Firewall and Antivirus software.

Setup a cable network connection with PC and Buffalo-NAS to your router, with a DHCP Server, DHCP is required for to update for newer units.

Disable all other network connections on your PC (such as wireless connection).

Check that the PC and the unit are in the same IP-Address range.

Within the extracted firmware folder open up *updater.ini in Wordpad or Notepad.

Modify it as follows:

[Flags]

VersionCheck = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)

[SpecialFlags] (add this line)

Debug = 1       (add this line)

Save the modifications and start the *updater.exe file. Right click the title of the Updater window and select "Debug (D)".

This will bring up the Debug options. Select the following ones:

"Do not check version" : Install the firmware without checking if it's an older/newer version that the one actually installed

"Force Update" : This will have the program force the update even if it detects the same version was already installed. 

"Erase User Config" : Takes your unit configuration back to default

Click on OK and finally on Update to run the firmware installation.

After that please try to set up RAID 1.

If you require any further support please let us know.

Regards,

Julia

chazjn

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »

Hmmm.. how did you get on Chiffs? The above instructions just look like a method of getting the firmware re-installed. (A method I have completed three times on this damned box).

Actually successfully creating a RAID 1 array is another matter altogether.....

Also re: using TFTP will void your warranty. How would they ever know? I wouldn't worry, if you returned a bricked box due to shoddy firmware I hardly think they will scrutinise? it that closely. (Or even if it is possible to find out if you TFTPed it).

My hunch is everone that who bought a recertified device has infact bought a unit that was previously returned because the orignal owner couldn't get RAID1 to work on it!

chazjn

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »

Hi Jotin, I notice you are doing the rounds.

Any comment on the above post: will using TFTP void warrenty? Also, new firmware - is is required for creating RAID 1 on an LS-WXL or will following the instructions passed on the 'Chiffs' actually make a difference?

Cheers

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »

The email that he received was from Buffalo Europe. In the USA I walk customers through TFTP boot's over the phone all the time. Chiffs instructions are very similar to what I had to do to get it work again. I had to go through a bit more of a hassle. Here is what I did to finally get it into RAID 1. This might not work for all of you as I only did this one and maybe got lucky I'm not sure.

AS FOR THE FIRMWARE... I am not sure how long it will take. I have escalated it and I am waiting for a response. With something like this I doubt it will take very long.

What I did...

When I tried to create a RAID 1  the unit would fail to operate the disk. It eventually degraded to an E06. At that point I had to follow FAQ 3 of 5 to get the unit to respond and able to flash the firmware. I follow the debug settings and checked "force update, do not check version, rebuild partition table and delete user config". In order for it to format through the updater you have to make one more change to the .ini file "Where it says no formatting = 1", change that to a "0". Once the update and format completes you should be able to log in to the unit and change it from two single disks to RAID 1.

I cannot guarantee that this will work but this is what I did to get the unit to RAID 1.

colinmartin100

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:09:40 PM »

I will be interested to know if this works for anyone. I'm not sure this differs from the process I followed which bricked it in the first place. Seems to be some confusion here within Buffalo as to wether there is or isn't a firmware problem.

If anyone gets this to work please share.

Edit: just read your update Jotin, you know what, I'm going to wait for the firmware. Easier said than done for me to disable all security on my laptop to get the unit working again from E06. Thanks for your update.

Col

chazjn

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

Hello everyone,

I got RAID1 working on my box but I had to use an ealier firmware:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/RAID1-on-LS-WXL-Done-it/td-p/81465?

I wish you all the Best of British Luck!

Chaz