Author Topic: LinkStation Duo 1TB- connection with Ps3  (Read 3386 times)

sobo1234

• Calf
LinkStation Duo 1TB- connection with Ps3
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »

Hey all-

Thanks for taking a second to help me.  I have a 1TB LinkStation Duo and a Playstation 3.   Up until recently the connectivity between them has been flawless and I was able to view pictures, watch videos and listens to music I have stored on my Linkstation throught he Playstation.  Howwever, recently the Linkstation and has not been showing up and when it does show up it has been able to access the media files like it used to.

I've made no changes to either device....

Any suggestion on what the issue may be?

Thanks

Scott

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Duo 1TB- connection with Ps3
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »

That happens sometimes to me too with my ps3. I have to redo the network settings on my ps3 to get it to work again.

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:45:15 PM »

Redo the settings on the PS3?  Can you explain that a little more?  If I remember correctly, I never changed any settings on the PS3- it found the LinkStation on it's own.  I know there's a "search for Media server" option which I've tried many times with no luck....

Thanks

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »

OK, not sure if this helps, but I'm getting an error on my PS3.

This morning I unplugged the LinkStation- let it sit for a minute then plugged it back in- when I turned on the PS3 it found the Linkstation and I was able to get about 1/2 though a home video when i got a connections error- "DLNA error 2101 has occurred"

I have no idea how to fix it- like I said I've never really tweaked any settings on the PS3- it always has found the Linkstation with no issues or adjustments to settings-

Thanks for any input

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »

I also posted this on the PS3 Forum....here's the response I got back....any feedback on how I may go about this?

This error indicates that a DLNA request from the PS3 to the media server timed-out, meaning that the request was not acknowledged or responded to in a reasonable amount of time. The problem has nothing to do with the PS3 directly, although a change to the DLNA client code in System 3.72 may be the catalyst of the problem.  It is either an issue on the LinkStation, or in the network. Probably the LinkStation.  The uPnP setting is irrelevant.  The LinkStation is on the same network as the PS3, so the router isn't using NAT; and therefore isn't using uPnP.  A common cause is a plug-in or other component on the media server crashing when it receives a request from the PS3.  It will be hard to debug on an appliance like a Linkstation. Have you updated the Linkstation to the latest version of its operating system?  If so, go into the LinkStation configuration and disable any plug-ins or options for media that you don't actually stream to the PS3; if it will let you do that. That's about all you can do, short of using a different media server.

GKP

?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »

What I mean is that you should go to the network settings on your PS3, reset them and set it back up again. I have to do this sometimes for my ps3 to see ANY media servers on the network. If that does not help then you can try to reset the linkstation. You can do this by logging into the Linkstation's web interface and using the tab system. Then use the subtab called restore/erase and choose restore. This, as it says, will not delete any data.

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »

OK.....but before I do that, 100% guarantee that the data won't be erased?   I have all my music plus all of our family videos and pictures on there...

I guess the process would just wipe of some if the setting I currently have?  I guess I would need to redo those to get it to sync with the PS3 again?

Thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

I can never give you a 100% guarantee but I've been working here for over 4 years and Ive never seen anyone lose data doing that.

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 01:13:26 PM »

OK- thanks.  Just to be sure, I'm moving the 50GB of data or so that's on there to a Netdisk I have on the same network before I do the restore- just to be safe.  Once that data is moved off the Linkstation I'll do the restore.  The PS3 has very limited options in terms of being able to configure Network Media devices...I played around with a few things but with no luck.  It's funny though- it works for about 5 minutes with almost no issues- then just out of the blue I get that error.

While I have you, is there an online backup you can recommend to back up the 50GB (and growing) worth of data I have?  I orginally got the Linkstation becuase of the Raid capability, but I've been told I need to go even further to be sure my data remains safe in case of failure....

Thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »

I've never used an online back up service but I beleive that Novastor has that service. If you continue to have issues with your media server you could try reflashing the firmware using FAQ 2 of 5 and then resetting the unit through interface after words. When I was talking about redoing the network settings on the PS3 I just go to the network connection settings and set it back up and my Linkstation shows up again. Before I do that I cannot even see any of my Win7 PC's but afterwords everything shows up again.

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 06:26:12 PM »

OK- can you help me out with how to reset the firmware?  You lost me a little there...FAQ 2 of 5?  Would I have to move my data off of the device when I did that?  I'm thinking no...hopefully that's the case.

I've reset everything at this point- I followed your instructions on the Linkstation and then also reset the PS3- I also unplugged everything from the network and plugged it back in thinking that may help but nothing. 

The crazy thing is that it works for about 5 minutes...pictures, videos, music...everything- and then I get the error.

This is super disappointing- what are my options if this firmware reset doesn't help?  Is there anything Buffalo can do to replace the unit?  I'd even be willing to pay a little...

Thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »

sobo1234

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm of the belief I just shouldn't have to go through all this hassle to get teh device to work as it should- not only that even though there's step by step instructions I'm just not comforable going in and making those changes.

With that in mind, what options are there from Buffalo?  I simply want a device that should work as it's designed to and this is not doing that? 

Can you advise what my options are?

Thanks

Scott