Author Topic: Can't connect to LS-W2.0TGL/R1  (Read 5913 times)

captRon

• Calf
Can't connect to LS-W2.0TGL/R1
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »

I came in to work today and no one can get to our linkstation. It shows up in our router as being connected to the network and I can ping it but It does not show up through NasNavigator nor can I connect to it through my desktop shortcut.

We did have some storms last night but it was on a surge protector. Everything else in the office is working and I can hear the drive spin up.

Thanks!!

captRon

• Calf
Re: Can't connect to LS-W2.0TGL/R1
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »

Nobody??

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »

Still unable to connect.

I had some discussions in another thread on this but am still stuck. I had an issue with the nas navi not seeing the unit but it turns out that it was an issue with my laptop. (still haven't figured that out)

I can however access it with another. I can boot to EM mode and it shows up via NAS Navi but I still can access the share folders or drives.

It also does not indicate to me what the current firmware is. All I get under firmware is just 5 dashes.  -----It also says "Unknown series" below "Firmware".?

It's been recommended to flash the firmware and I've searched the forum but cannot seem to find directions as to how to flash the firmware via the EM mode.

Can someone direct me to either the correct link or tell me what I seem to be doing wrong here??

Thanks in advance!!!

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

Well I finally figured out that the lsupdater was part of the firmware download. Found a wiki that explained that and the procedure of doing the flash. I first flashed it via the EM boot. It seemed like it worked but in the end it failed. got an error message that said something like "Waited 480 sec.s for a response from the server, do you want to wait again?

I picked "Yes" multiple times. Got the same thing each time. I then tried it via TFTP. In the end I got the same error.

Any idea????

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:09 AM »

So when you were doing this firmware flash and it failed, did it come back up in the NAS NAVI in EM mode again? And are you flashing the firmware to this unit with a direct connection between your PC and the Linkstation?

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »

Yes it's coming back up in em mode. Well I say it is, the Nas Navi has EM in it but the light on the front is solid green not blue.? I thought the first time I put it in EM mode it stayed blue but I don't remember at this point.

I flashed it once through the router and when it failed I then tried the TFTP with a direct connection.

This unit has 2 usb ports, a function button and an on/off/auto switch.

Thanks!!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:10:43 AM »

It sounds like the flash is just failing then and the unit needs to be replaced. You could try flashing it from safe mode but if the actual firmware is being transfered and its booting backing into EM mode it might not be able to hold the firmware. Are you setting both the unit and the PC on a static IP address?

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »

I'm setting the PC to static. I didn't see where I could set the unit to static???

You say replace the unit.......you mean the whole server, drives or what?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:27 AM »

Just the box would need to be replaced. The drives themselves should be fine. Actually if it is in EM mode should would not be able to set the unit to a static IP address. What have you set the PC to and what IP does the unit come up with when it is in EM  mode?

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »

I originally set my PC to 192.168.11.1?.

Since then I noticed that the Server was booting up with a much different IP so I adjusted it. to 169.254.170.2

The server today is on 169.254.29.136

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »

After it boots up properly and it gets a 169 address try just putting your IP to aquire automatically. After that then try runnign the firmware update. This might help but im not 100% sure. If that fails, it would need to be replaced. Again, just the box, not the drives.

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »

I did just see where I can in fact select a new IP address for the unit.

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »

Ok I let i boot up, changed my IP to automatic and it recognized the unit.

I rain the firmware update. Several messages came up showing that it was doing it's thing.

I grabbed a pen and wrote down the last couple of message windows.

"Trans of firmware complete, waiting for writing" I assume it completed the writing because I

looked away and then looked back and it then had a widow that said,

"Waiting for finish of LS-WTGL/R!-V3 booting......please wait......."

Then I got this one;

"Waited 480 seconds but couldn't confirm a response from LS-WTGL/R1-V3

Do you want to wait again?"

During that round it rebooted about 4 times. Each time my PC showed that it had lost its network connection during the reboot.

I checked yes but the second time it only rebooted at the beginning of the session. Third time did not reboot at all.

I finally chose "No" on the waiting question and I got this window.
"There was no response From LS-WTGL/R1-V3.
Updating is aborted."?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »

It sounds like the unit is defective and actually needs to be replaced.

captRon

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »

Yea that's what I was afraid of.

So how do I go about getting just the unit and not the full system. all I've ever seen is the unit with the drives.

Also from what web searching I've done this unit looks to be discontinued. What about just replacing the board? Is that an option?

Can I put my drives in a similar but different unit.

If so which ones are compatible?

Thanks!!!