Author Topic: Need help rescuing LS-XH1.0TL  (Read 2047 times)

mike3661

• Calf
Need help rescuing LS-XH1.0TL
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »

This LS-XH1.0TL? had been working perfectly until one day I switched it off and on. Then its folders didn't appear on the network and I was unable to log in as admin (it claimed, incorrectly, that the password I entered was wrong).

I replaced the drive with a new one, restored my data from my backups, and now I'm trying to rescue the old drive for re-use. I've no interest in preserving the data on it.

Things I've tried:

• resetting the password to "password" by holding Function for 10 seconds, switching on, then releasing and holding Function for 1 second - no effect
  • forcing a firmware upgrade - it won't do it because it says my password is wrong
  • TFTP boot procedure - no files are listed for this drive and it warns against using the wrong one
  • I've seen "Secure Lock Manager" suggested in this forum but AFAICS that only works with USB drives, not NAS drives, so I haven't even downloaded it

I'm stuck. Any suggestions?

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: Need help rescuing LS-XH1.0TL
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »

I think, if you switch the unit on and remove the power several times it will enter EM mode, then you can update the firmware.

Another solution is to disassemble the unit and delete the contents of the partitions of the harddisk.

In case you need TFTP boot, this file works:

http://download.discountnetz.com/tftp-boot-recovery/tftp_1.41_kirkwood.zip?

mike3661

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »

I've tried to get it to enter EM mode as you suggested, without success.

I've also tried the TFTP load procedure, but after I see "accepting requests.." nothing happens - the drive powers up normally. This is on a different PC where I was happy to change the IP address.

NAS Navigator sees the drive, and gets its name right, but claims not to be able to connect to it, and offers to change its IP address. When I say yes, change the IP address, NAS Navigator tries to do so but announces that it's failed. On the NAS Navigator display I see a totally weird IP address, 169.254.163.88. My browser won't connect to that address.

I think I'll just scrap it, and buy different brands in future. This is too tedious for words.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »

In order to connect with your browser, you have to change the IP address of your PC to an address in the same subnet (for example 169.254.163.100).

Maybe you can enter Webadmin and reset to factory defaults.

If want to recover it , I think the best solution is to disassemble the unit, delete the partitions, assemble the unit and then you will have an error 6 (6 red lights), then you can TFTP boot.

If you want to scrap it, it can be sold at eBay.  A lot of people are interested in this type of LS, which can be repaired in minutes (if you know how to do it).

mike3661

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:13:04 AM »

Thanks for your answer. I'll persist a little longer.

I mentioned the IP address business simply as an indication that the drive was behaving even more erratically than before. I guessed that connecting with my browser would simply land me back where I've been all along, that it is to say, unable to log in. I just tried it. That's exactly what happened.

What is "webadmin"? I'm using Windows 7 and XP. I find it hard to believe that there's no easy option to reset this drive to factory defaults, or if there is one, I've been unable to find it. That omission seems like a monumental blunder, which is making me disillusioned with this brand.

If I were to disassemble the unit, how would I go about deleting the partitions?