Author Topic: LinkStation Live LS-CHL power switch auto/on/off without software  (Read 12468 times)

Ensoll

• Calf

Is the software needed to be installed for the power switch to function in auto mode?  That is what I am reading elsewhere in this forum.

Mr. Colin thankfully advised me to skip the installation of the software to get the drive up and functioning.  However, if I plan to access the drive remotely and the power switch is set to auto, and there is no wake-on-lan function, what will wake the unit up?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Live LS-CHL power switch auto/on/off without software
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:38:56 AM »

You can down load the NAS Navi 2 from buffalotech.com

this has to be running in the system tray to have this function work.  If not you can leave it in manual mode. 

Ensoll

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »

Thanks for the response Mr. Paul but this is a little disappointing if I am understanding things correctly.  I can't believe Buffalo went to the trouble of adding an Auto power feature (smart) and remote webaccess (cool!) and then flushed it all down the toilet with no WOL (sad).

Even more bizarre is to require the software to be running on an internally connected 'babysitter' machine which might well be turned off when accessing the NAS remotely!  Moreover, even if the 'babysitter' is left on and the NAS Auto power mode is eventually entered, accessing it remotely won't likely wake it up since the software on the 'babysitter' machine isn't contacted (I assume).

Predicting your response, I tried leaving the unit power switch in the On position last night, wondering what condition I would find the unit in this morning.  I was hoping at least that it would have powered down the hard drive but when I put my hand on it, the gerbil in there seemed to be running like mad.  Vibration was felt that indicated to me that the disk was active.  There were no other machines on the network turned on.

I don't mean to sound spoiled or have expectations too high for the amount of money invested.  All in all, I am thrilled to have this technological work of art.  It's just frustrating to see it could be so much better for little additional cost.  Hopefully this is helpful to Buffalo, or maybe I'm entirely wrong in my observations.

Slick

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

I agree.  I just asked a similar question in another post, and indeed it seems like if you want to use Webaccess you need to have the network drive in the full ON mode and not just the Auto mode.  I really would like to be able to save power and usage by allowing the NAS to power down, but I can't afford not be able to use the hard drive from afar because it is powered down. :(

I will note, however, that I have otherwise been extremely pleased with this product.  :)

Topolaccio

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 06:44:39 AM »

I agree that this is a heavy limitation of the auto power mode. Wouldn't be possible to implement the wake-on functionality via WebAccess, making the buffalonas.com server work like the NASNavi2 software? That would be great.

PS: any news about the new firmware that should fix the big number of issues of the LS-CHL BT client?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »
   Ensoll, make certain that your media server is disabled. If the media server is enabled that drive will spin constantly anticipating the need to stream media.

Ensoll

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »
   Ok, I tried it.  Got my eyes closed tight and fingers crossed...Thanks

baz8755

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »

Excuse me for butting in on this thread but I use my NAS box to serve my PS3 via DLNA and would also like to see it wake when a DLNA client wakes on the network.

Also as I am using the media server it would be good if it could be set to spin down the drive after a certain period of inactavity even with the server enabled

Ensoll

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:37:21 PM »

Turning off the Media Server doesn't seem to have made any difference.

One little comforting factor is that this machine running all day, all year in the On position will only cost about $.07 - .12 per day so at least it's not cutting into my 401k savings.  Still, of course the reason for a fully functioning Auto mode is more for product longevity and pursuant data integrity, not to mention fire safety.

oafflub

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »

I'd just like to point out that the Linkstation is actually using a simple WOL implementation. Once you install the official software it simply looks for a Linkstation on the network then sends a WOL packet every so often preventing the NAS from going to sleep. If I remember correctly the NAS will `suspend` after five minutes if not told otherwise.

I have no problem waking mine using readily available software, all you need is the unit's MAC address which is unique to your Linkstation - can be found within the web interface. My only niggle is that you have to continually wake the drive otherwise as pointed out above, it will go to sleep again which I guess is a good feature should you lose connectivity with the NAS whilst out.

I haven't yet tested the latest firmware (which was released not too long ago) but the stock firmware or one of the earlier revisions behaved in this way when the switch at the back was set to the top position, Auto or Power Saving whichever you prefer.

ahsanul

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 07:06:18 AM »

I just found the solution guyz.. I was able to wake the LinkStation Live (in my homefrom my work over the internet, hence enabling me to keep the drive in 'Auto Sleep' mode, but waking it up when I need to access it from work using the Web Access.

Thanks for the last post, which gave me the idea.

1. You need a way to send a WOL magic packet over internet (I used the one from here - http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx

2. You'll need to open a local port in your router:

Inbound port: 9 (typically for brodcast messages)

Type: UDP

Private IP: 192.xxx.x.x (this is the local IP of your LinkStation)

Private Port: 9

3. In the GUI you downloded from # 1 above, set these parameters:

- MAC Address: (you can get this from the LinkStation Web Admin page)

- Internet Address: (this is the EXTERNAL ip address of the LinkStation - one u use for your Web Access)

- Subnet Mask: (Typically 255.255.255.0 - but you can get this from the LinkStation Web Admin page)

- Send Option: (Internet)

- Remote Port Number: 9

4. Click 'Wake me up'.

5. Wait a few seconds and then load your 'Web Access' page - you'll be prompted for your password!

Good luck

Ensoll

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 08:10:21 AM »
   Cool, thanks for the feedback.  I'm planning to give it a try when I have a few minutes to spare.

zeecue

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »

How do you turn off the LS-CHL again? The Magic Packet WOL, only starts the Harddisk, but how do we turn it off again?

Best Regards

Morten

Methanoid

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »

Sorry if this seems dense but is your LS in "Off", "On" or "Auto" mode?

What makes it Sleep? Timers in the web interface? Or inactivity?

When you wake it with Depicus does it stay on or sleep if you don't send another WOL packet every 5 mins?

chrisnasah

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 06:00:16 AM »

Hi just tried this and works great.

Although noticed an issue and wondering whether you guys have it too.  After i am able to access the NAS i start either downloading or uploading - hence my NAS is in use but for some reason this stops and i lose connection to the NAS again.

It seems we need to send the WOL message every 3-4 mins to keep it alive even though you are using the NAS and its not idle.

Strange cos i though if i left it on auto it will only go to sleep due to inactivity and not just randomly every 3 -4 mins.

is there a way to extent thsi limit?

or any tips!!!