Author Topic: XHL no longer booting properly after firmware update  (Read 1628 times)

discjohnson

• Calf
XHL no longer booting properly after firmware update
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »

About 6 weeks ago my XHL1.5T showed that a new firmware was available, and it could install on its own. Since this was the second time I had seen this message, I went ahead and allowed it to do so. It took what seemed like forever the last time, so I thought nothing of letting it run over night. However, the next morning it was no longer responsive.

I've put it on an isolated network with a DHCP server dishing in the 192.168.1.0 network, and it grabs an address properly, and gives its hostname back. I also am running TCP dump and am watching the packets. Everything seems fine. During boot of the device, I just get the constant flashing blue lights for 30 seconds or so, then it goes solid blue. What happens, however, is that the only thing I can do to the device is ping it. I've nmap'd it and it responds on no ports (even if I walk it from 1 to 65535, on TCP and UDP). What I was able to find was that during boot, it sends UDP packets to 192.168.11.1 as if it was looking for a debug syslog server. I ran netcat to listen for it (nc -l 514 -u) and BAM I get startup information. Nothing in that output stands out as being a problem. I see it detecting the drive, it shows all the partitions, (sda1-6). When I plug in a USB device, I see normal messages about it, same when unplugging it.

When I use the latest firmware download, it does not detect any NAS units. Also, since this NAS unit took a fall a while back, the button that I should be holding down is broken. I tried jumpering across the sides of the switch (since I assume it's a momentary switch) but I could never appear to get it to enter in to EM mode. I ended up breaking down and buying an LS-WXL (dual drive) and copied the files off the LS-XHL's HDD with my linux desktop. This device is running 1.37, and I am TERRIFIED to try and update the firmware after all the cake problems I've had with the other unit.

Since uBoot is used by the system (my guess) and the kernel is actually on flash (SoC style), my current guess is that ?there is something wrong with the partition information, or the files on disk, and this is not being reported to the syslog.

So the questions I have are:

1. What can I do with the broken switch to make it work (assuming it's necessary)?
2. What do I need to do to get the device to finish booting from the HDD?

3. How do I determine what version firmware was applied to the flash during the last update (so I can manually copy files from the proper firmware download to disk so they match--I believe this is a requirement based on my previous excursion with this unit)?

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: XHL no longer booting properly after firmware update
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »

Your post is unusual and you will not get support in this forum.

Try here.

http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewforum.php?f=68?

In order to "repair" your LS-XHL, you can clone the partitions from healthy units.

I am not able to help you, because I am not a Linux expert, but I am sure in the AM forum you will ge the needed help.

discjohnson

• Calf
Re: XHL no longer booting properly after firmware update
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

Thanks. I've used that resource to make my old HD-HGLAN much more useful. Let's see if they can guide me further.