Author Topic: Can't reset admin password for Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL  (Read 88828 times)

DanMason

• Calf
Can't reset admin password for Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »

I understand that this has been discussed before. So I'm sorry if I repeat, but I've just not found anything that replicates exactly my issue, and not found a solution yet (other than throwing the thing in the bin and losing all data anyway!).

I have a Linkstation LS-CHL, am using up to date NAS Navigator 2 software on both PC and Mac on my network.

Running 2.4 on the Mac and 2.37 on Windows XP.

The LS firmware is 1.21. I'm aware this is old, but I simply can't work out a way to update the firmware without it needing the password. So I'm stuck.

As many others, woke up one day and found my username/password reset for no reason so couldn't access shared folder.

Tried logging in through web admin but no luck. Username/password doesn't work.

Tried updating firmware (via Mac & PC) with no luck.

Tried the 'Force Firmware udate' on the PC, changing the INI file and using the Debug option, as described in some posts. No luck. Still needs an admin password. Keep trying the default 'password' with no luck.

Tried re-setting the unit using every variant combination seemingly published – hold function button for 5 secs (or 10 or 15 or 30). Then let go and press again for 1 sec (or 10, or 30!). Still no luck.

Tried all of the above with LS connected direct to the PC or Mac, so isolating it from any router/home network issues.

I'm really scared this is looking bad for this unit and I'm going to have to enter EM mode and end up partitioning the unit. Not good!

Can anyone offer any advice? Even just trying to access the files in any way to try & copy them somewhere else for now. Anything!

Help!

Dan

usmanmati

• Calf
Re: Can't reset admin password for Buffalo Linkstation LS-CHL
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »
Yes i have the same issue with my LS-WXL6. No one has yet given me any solution

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:57:42 AM »
FOR THE ORIGINAL POSTER: Put the unit into EM mode and then reinstall the firmware enabling all the debug options apart from rebuild partition table. This will work on the firmware you currently have installed. FOR THE SECOND POSTER: Of course no one has helped you, you have provided sweet f* all information about your unit! What is the situation exactly?!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

DanMason

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:16:37 AM »

ok, just thought I'd feedback now I've got it working again, should anyone else be finding the same problem. Yes, it DID require booting in EM mode & updating of firmware. But this was NOT the quick & easy process I'd hoped. At least it wasn't for me anyway. Also, this in itself, didn't resolve it. But I needed to do this stage before I went further, to kind of try the 'easy' steps first...

One thing to note – I use a Mac, but I borrowed a PC in order to do this. I just got the usual tech support 'unggh' sound when I mentioned OSX! My advice – don't even bother trying to resolve this on a Mac. Not worth it.

BTW, Contrary to other posts, I actually had some relatively good service from tech support. I'm in the UK, perhaps it varies between countries.

And if Buffalo Tech are looking on, the lady who helped with my case # 135685? was polite, patient and VERY helpful. Most importantly, she talked me through every step and re-assured me (as much as she could) that she'd never lost any data doing this. This was a real worry for me.

Anyway, they sent me exact instructions on this procedure, as follows:

Stage 1: EM Boot:

Please note it can take a number of attempts to bring the unit to EM mode (approx 15-20). Once the unit is in EM mode it will be displayed as such in the NAS Navigator software (firmware will show as “---“)

- Power the unit down (disconnect the power by pulling out the power cable while the unit is ON).
- Reboot it, if the power led is still flashing more than 75 second's from the start, disconnect the power and retry.
- Do this until the unit's power led is constant 65 seconds after the start and the unit is on EM.

NOTE: This actually too me about 10 goes to do this with a stopwatch in hand. Seems so bizarre that you need to just KEEP going until this works, but hey it worked in the end and without data loss.

Now it's in EM mode we can then install the firmware on the unit....? ??

Stage2: Firmware Update:

Please get the latest firmware from our website: (1.54)

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads 

• Extract the downloaded folder to your desktop. 

• Disable any kind of Firewall and Antivirus software.

• Setup a cable network connection with PC and Buffalo-NAS to your router, with a DHCP Server, DHCP is required for to update for newer units.

• Disable all other network connections on your PC (such as wireless connection).

• Check that the PC and the unit are in the same IP-Address range.

• Within the extracted firmware folder open up LSupdater.ini in Wordpad or Notepad. 

• Modify it as follow:

[Flags]

VersionCheck = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)

NoFormatting = 0 (modify this line from 1 to 0)       

[SpecialFlags] (add this line to the bottom of the text)

Debug = 1       (add this line to the bottom of the text)?

Save the modifications and start the LSupdater.exe file. Right click the title of the Updater window and select "Debug (D)". 

This will bring up the Debug options. Select the following ones:

Ensure all options on the left hand side are selected, on the right hand side select all options apart from "Rebuild Partition Table" (DO NOT select this option as doing so will erase the data on the unit!)

Click OK and proceed with the update.??

So, my experience here is that havig done this, it didn't work for me. The firware was updated ok, and I was very excited! But it still hadn't reset the password as I expected. So I contact them again. They then sent me a new email with an LSRecovery file, which was just an executable file which simply solved the issue. I'm calling this STAGE 3!

So good luck!

Be happy to try & answer any more questions about my experience. However, I would not want to send anyone this LS Recovery file. I was informed it was vital that Stages 1 and 2 were done first and that the LS Recovery mode was very specifically to my situation. 

Hope this helps someone!

Dan

p.s. Calm down Davo – life's too short.

blink

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:51:29 AM »

Thank you DanMason for the most informative post I have been able to find on this issue!  This has been the cause of great frustration for the past couple of days now with the issue still being unresolved.  I have managed to re-install the firmware using EM mode and assume that I am in the same position as you were, in that it doesn't seem to have worked. 

However just to be sure I am going to have a second attempt at re-installing the firmware and double check all firewall and anti-virus settings this evening.  If this still does not work I guess I'm going to have to call tech support, just wish this LS recovery file that you mention was available as a download from the Buffalo site, it seems there are a good number of people out there experiencing a similar issue on these forums and DanMason's post is the first I have found that takes you through the procedure step by step in particular pointing out the time limits for booting into EM mode (this is were I think I was failing in the past, as advised I used the stopwatch on my phone this time to make sure I was doing it right!)

In case anyone has anything further for me to try I'll give a bit further information on my specific issue.

- Using Buffalo Link station 1.5tb  LS-CHL

- After power cut linkstation powered back on and I was able to access from my xbox and view videos etc with no issue also linkstation is pinging ok

- However as far as Windows 7 laptop is concerned the 3 shares I had mapped no longer worked got the generic error "check spelling of path name etc etc" Tried re-mapping and also typing path \\server\share or \\ipaddress\share

- Tried to log in to web user interface to do some further troubleshooting but found that it would not take my admin password.

- Tried resetting using the function button, would not take the default password.

- I'm probably missing steps I have tried, but I'm pretty sure I've done everything I could find that was relevant on the forums, looks like my only option is this magic recovery file! 

I really hope that Buffalo are in the process of simplifying the solution to this issue as I mentioned above it has caused alot of frustration and wasted hours!

Eissi

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 10:15:16 AM »

Hi!

Now 3 days at same problem :(

Every tips are tested and anything happen...need some help!!!

Still password is missing...

aza@mbnet.fi

Buffalo Linkstation Duo (LS-WX2.0TL/R1)

Andybrown

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »

DanMason,

I have a LS-CH2.0TL and I have followed these forums very interestingly, as I am now experiencing the same issues as you, before they sent you the recovery file.

I have followed your directions, but to no avail.

I understand your concerns about posting the LSRecovery file, but I was hoping that you would be willing to forward me the recovery file, by email? this will hopefully enable me to gain access to the device.

I thank you in advance for your help and assistance. Please PM me and I shall send you my email address.

Kind regards,

Andy.

silicoid

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

Dear DanMason,

Looks that I have same problem with my LS-CH1.0TL-V2. I try all possible commented solutions and at least try your commented way too (ticked all operations excluding "Rebuild Partition Table?"). But still nothing... After booting up I cant log on with admin and password. When I browse shares on my device then I see all folders but can open only half of them :(

I spent all my day for finding any solutions but anyway at moment dont have positive results... 

Whom should I contact?

B.R.

silicoid?

DanMason

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 03:48:09 AM »

Andy,

No problem sending you the attachment. So long as you're well aware of my advisories. Buffalo Tech support were pretty insistent that this shouldn't be used without their 'supervision' – I think because the file is very specific to my situation and the firmware 'path' I'd taken. Using this outside of those specifics could worsen your problem.

Personally, I think anyone experiencing this issue would be better off persevering with their tech support.

Yes, its a nightmare to get through, certainly sounds like it is in some parts of the world. But I found my solution through the UK support number.

Perhaps try the UK one?

Anyway, on the understanding I don't advise it (!) no problem.

One slight issue (I'm sure I'm just being a forum newbie thickie here) but don't know how to PM you.

Please advise.

DanMason

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:17 AM »

Silicoid,

I just directly rang their contact number published on the website. It's a UK number.

Depending on when you call, you'll wait for ages I'm sure, but I think it's the only way.

0845 3511005?

DanMason

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 03:52:08 AM »

Hey, thanks Blink. Nice to hear it was of some help.

Did you have any luck with tech support phone?

As mentioned to Andy, happy to send you the LS recovery file.....with the same advisories!

Dan

DanMason

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 03:53:11 AM »

Eissi,

Don't know what else to suggest. If you're tried all pointers, you really need to get on the old Dog&Bone and get someone to talk you through each stage.

Dan

silicoid

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 04:43:37 AM »

I decided to buy a new disk and build their the new system. Later I try get the files from the old disk, with computer and Knoppix help. When this done, I give here some description?s...?

arnoldsch2011

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:33 AM »

I have LS-WXL 4.0TB. Same problem. Tried all reset tips but result is nothing. Could anyone please send me the LSRECOVERY File, sent by Buffalow Technical Support. I Shall be very thankful. Please Help

Regards,

M. Shoaib.

silicoid

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »

First stage done! My device now had 2TB WD20EARX and works perfectly! ;)

For that I use - TFTP Boot Recovery 1.53?

How that to do? Look at :here:

On first boot it was in japanese. For changing language try search - Web admin in japanese?

For next I try copy files from the old disk to pc and then to NAS?

Edit: 30.09.2011

LinuxMint11 CD image was very helpful... I connect old disk to PC and boot from CD. Then mount NAS forders. 

At moment all my stuff is copyed to new disk. Now I may format old disk and put it to another device/PC or sell it ;)