Author Topic: NAS Navigator Won't Find My Linkstation  (Read 29430 times)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
NAS Navigator Won't Find My Linkstation
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »

After 1 1/2 hours on the phone with tech support, no luck.  I cannot use NAS navigator.  Does nothing, sees nothing.  Now, I can type the IP address in and access it that way.  So, what am I giving up my not being able to use NAS Navigator and will it affect my other PC's when I need to add the drive to them?

I did map the drive with tech supports help.  I have a long way to go however.  So, can anyone explain why this is happening and will it have an overall impact on me?

And, what is link navigator for and do I need to use it for anything?

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: NAS Navigator Won't Find My Linkstation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »

NASnavigator is a nice but unnecessary software.

It helps to monitor the LS errors or messages and is supposed to help map shares.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:28 PM »

So, how will I now monitor errors?  How can I map shares then?

I don't understand the whole e-mail set-up thing.  I use gmail, how would I set that up?  That would be the way to get error messages, right?

Also, I would like to enable RAID scanning however the setting is greyed out.  How can I put that into play?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »

Also, the drive I mapped to this laptop I am on is called:

Shared (\\192.168.11.XX)?

Can I change the name by double clicking slow on the name and renaming like I would a file or would that be an issue?  I don't like the look of the name.  I mapped it by doing \\192.168.11.XX and then right clicking and sharing as that is what the tech told me to do.  Now what?

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

Can anyone help?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »

I would simply try to reinstall the NAS Navigator with the latest version from the website. The NAS Navigator is not a required piece of software. You can map the drive once you know the IP address. Any errors or info messages will appear with the LED's on the unit, but it is nice to view them from your PC.

With RAID scanning you have to have a RAID set up and be running the latest version of firmware.

For the email set up, it will send you email's if any of those check boxed circumstances occur.

You cannot change the name of that mapped drive. You could try creating a network location in my computer and give that a custom name.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »

Jotin wrote:

I would simply try to reinstall the NAS Navigator with the latest version from the website. The NAS Navigator is not a required piece of software. You can map the drive once you know the IP address. Any errors or info messages will appear with the LED's on the unit, but it is nice to view them from your PC.

With RAID scanning you have to have a RAID set up and be running the latest version of firmware.

For the email set up, it will send you email's if any of those check boxed circumstances occur.

You cannot change the name of that mapped drive. You could try creating a network location in my computer and give that a custom name.

I did reinstall the NAS Navigator with the latest version, no help or improvement. 

For the RAID, I notoced it was creating the array and all that when I was attempting.  I will try again tonight now that it should all be built.  I do have firmware version 1.54 which is the most current.  By the way, I assume since I have it set up as RAID1 it automatically copies the data from one disk to the other.  There is no setting or backup so to say that I have to do, correct?

For the e-mail, I use G-Mail.  In the st-up on the web interface for the Linkstation, it is asking me for SMTP, port no, autentication, etc.  What do I enter for that?  I am confused.

So, since I mapped it by doing a "windows button and "r"", then typing \\192.168.11.XX, right clicking the shared folder, I am now stuck with that name?  Do I map that drive the same way for my other computers now?  How does one create such a location as you mentioned in My Computer?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:50:34 PM »

Then the issue with the Nas Navigator is 3rd party related, either a firewall on the network or on your PC or some kind of software conflict.

There are no settings, RAID 1 is in the background done automatically.

For G-mail, look it up on google's website. It is there and it gives you step by step information. I use Gmail as well and that is what I did to get it to work.

You can simply delete that by right clicking on it and choosing disconenct. You can create a network location and name it what ever you want.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »

You said:

You can simply delete that by right clicking on it and choosing disconenct. You can create a network location and name it what ever you want.? 

So, then how does it find the drive?  I am confused.  I thought the \\192...... is the drive, so if I disocnnect, I lose that drive.  How do I rename, what am I missing?  How do I create the network location in windows?  I obviously have some wire crossed here.

Also, two quick hit questions:

1.  If I don't have Nav on the other computers, how will the NAS wake up if I have it in auto?

2.  The recycle bin folder, do I have to manually empty that or does it do it itself?

Thanks!

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »

I looked on the gmail website and it is all greek to me, can you help with the configuration?  I need to enter:

SMTP server address

SMTP port number

authentication type

pop3 server address

ssl/tls setting

I know my username is my gmail email address or my username in gmail?

passowrd I know

Help?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »

For my Gmail account I use:

SMPT server: smtp.gmail.com?

Port: 587?

POP3 Server Address:? blank

POP3 Port No.:?  blank

Authentication:  LOGIN(SMTP-AUTH)?

SSL/TLS:?  STARTTLS?

?

Regarding NASnavigator, try to connect your LS and your computer to a switch and the switch to the router.  This way you are bypassing possible port blocking of the router.

jamesnb

• Tatanka
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:44:04 PM »

Ringfinger,

1/ NAV: uninstall the software with Revo Uninstaller (free download, google it). This software would help you to remove all the left-over and allow you to install a fresh copy of the NAV. Also, please make sure that you have latest .net framework installed. Check Windows Updates for this one. Some of the feature in NAV employ .Net framework.

2/ When you setup your NAS, you should give it a fixed IP address. This will be the address you would put in "Map Network Drive" such as \\192.168.1.xxx\foldername. Tick the box "automatic connect at log-on" if you wish to have it available every time you start Windows. Since "\\192.168.1.xxx" is the fixed address of your NAS hence you cannot rename it to something else. Another way would be to make a "shortcut" of this drive on your desktop, then it is possible to "rename" the shortcut to something you intend to.

3/ The "Auto" function of your NAS shall automatically detect if there is any network inactivity, it would shut-down the NAS, and vice-versa.

4/ Email Notification Setting; This works for me as I also use Gmail and I assume you are using IMAP, not POP3

SMTP: smtp.google.com

SMTP port no.: 465 (or 587 if 465 did not work)

authentication type: Login (SMTP-AUTH)

SSL/TLS setting: SSL/TLS

User Name: your full email address

Password: your password

Once you have set this up, try to send a Test Message to see if it work.

5/ Trash Box: You can disable it from within the Web Admin GUi of the NAS. With this enabled, every time you delete file(s) on your NAS, it shall be moved to the respective Trash box. You would have to empty the Trash box manually if you wish to permanently delete the file(s)

?

Hope this help

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:22:10 AM »

1.  I gave up.  It sees it sometimes, anyway, don't really need it as I can map the drives myself with no problems.

2.  I assigned a static IP address from the router.  If I tick the box to automatic, will it wake up even if the client does not have NAV installed?  Goes to point three as well.

4.  Got the e-mail to work, thanks!

5.  I will manually empty as needed to be safe.

Thanks for all of the help.

jamesnb

• Tatanka
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 02:03:30 AM »

RingFinger,

First thing first, NASNavigator is an optional piece of software, that help you to interact "live" with your NAS. There is no need to install this application in order to access and control your NAS.

Secondly, when you "map" the NAS drive using Windows Explorer (map network drive), there is an option call "Reconnect at logon". If you tick this box, the Windows Explorer shall automatically connect to this drive (from your NAS) everytime you start Windows. If this option is unticked, you will need to map your NAS drive manually everytime you need to access it.

Thirdly, the "Auto" position on your NAS power switch, as per the User Manual, is:

The LinkStation can automatically turn on and off with your computers. To use this feature, install NAS Navigator2 on each computer and then set the Power Mode Switch to the AUTO position." and further,

"AUTO: When the switch is in the AUTO position, the LinkStation automatically turns off when all computers on the network with NAS Navigator2 turn off. If any computer on the network is powered on, the LinkStation automatically powers on as well.?"

So, you have to have NASNavigator installed to act as initiator to this function.

My personal setting is to leave the NAS "On" all the time.

Hope this help

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 07:58:39 AM »

Thank you thank you.  All set now.  Set to on!