Author Topic: Dismal LSCHL v2 torrent performance  (Read 5475 times)

turbochimp

• Calf
Re: Dismal LSCHL v2 torrent performance
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 10:29:05 AM »

don't hold your breath. Buffalo seem to operate a fire and forget policy when it comes to selling then supporting hardware.

turbochimp

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »

update required from Buffalo.

seanwo

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 12:27:31 PM »

I have the same issues, but with the following...

1: DHT is required for most torrents - this version discovers far fewer peers than the win app version.

2: The torrent app crashes after an hour or two regardless of what it is downloading

the crash usually results in 0 seeds and no upload or download

occassionally it crashes the whole box so my network shares/web interface etc are also inaccessable

The fix is always yank the power lead! Once rebooted it always runs fine.... for a while.

I have run my unit with opened ports and also in the DMZ incase the router was causing the issue.

My router is a DLink 524 which is notorious for causing problems. Is everybody else using on of these?

regards,

Sean.

seanwo

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 02:04:51 AM »

For those that don't mind messing with their box....

I have disabled uTorrent and installed Transmission. The full instructions can be found here:http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://forum.discountnetz.com/buffalo-linkstation-pro-live-mit-bittorrent/baustelle-anleitung-transmission-t749.html

note: Although I am a professional web developer I have had no prior experiance of Linux but I still managed to follow the instructions and with a little trial and error (and quite a bit of googling) I now have a working Transmission daemon on the NAS box.

The transmission daemon has been running without incident for over a week now.

For those that are interested the CPU usage on uTorrent daemon was 97%.

The CPU usage for Transmission daemon is typically 6%!

my personal theory is that uTorrent couldn't handle large torrents(> 4Gb)  which caused it to start gobbling up CPU resources, which effectively crashes the whole box.

Also I think that having the trashbox enabled on the same share as the location of the torrent file could also be a problem so I have disabled the trashbox on the share.

Now If I could get some more RAM on the LS-CHL....(currently 64Mb with a 1Gb pagefile) then I could add some decent web hosting and SQL support ;-)