Author Topic: Dismal LSCHL v2 torrent performance  (Read 5474 times)

mlokhandwala

• Calf
Dismal LSCHL v2 torrent performance
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:54:25 PM »

I have the latest firmware (version 1.54) on one of the newest (April 2011) unit. The performance of the unit seems terribly sluggish. The administration UI is pathetically slow and it is painful navigating or doing anything with it.

The biggest problem for me however is the performance of the uTorrent client. Almost 80% of the time it is idleing despite having torrents which have many peers and seeders. Keeps showing message like "checked 1.5%" on the torrent. and the log is full of statements like this

?[23:15:15] Request failure #1 (will retry in 2 seconds): list=1&cid=124101366&getmsg=1

Till just a few days ago I had the earlier version (v1) of the same 1TB unit with the older "bittorrent" torrent client and it was pracctically never idle. It would pick up downloading ASAP. I do have relatively frequent ADSL disconnects but this was always the case.

I am really frustrated at the way uTorrent is behaving. At this rate it would be impossible to download anything.

I have not made any changes to the factory settings in the torrent client. I also have the external port mapped to the internal IP. (Although earlier the 'bittorrent' torrent client worked very fast without the port mapping.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

mlokhandwala

• Calf
Re: Dismal LSCHL v2 torrent performance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:09:50 AM »

I have spent more than 2 days of my life on this piece of **bleep**. I even tried to see if there are any advanced settings that could help, but absolutely nothing. inspite of having 1 Mb download bandwidth the torrents are jus sitting idle with 0 kb download despite having over 600 peers and seeders.

Despite the connection being on, suddenly I saw the downloads drop to 0. I immediately checked and the internet connectio was fine and I was able to surf as well as download on my PC at the same time. WHY would all downloads be suddenly cut off? After that point they simply didn't start. I even rebooted the LS CHL box, but nothing, Just a continuous list of [15:39:03] Request failure #1 (will retry in 2 seconds): list=1&cid=68347622&getmsg=1? messages in the logger window.

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:34:41 AM »
The ultimate proof is this. I download the same torrent (same .torrent file saved on my HDD) using uTorrent on my laptop and it is downloading at 118 KBps (>1 Mbps). The same torrent on the Buffalo NAS is still sitting at 0 Kbps. Same network, same internet connection, same router etc. Something is very wrong and buggy here.

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:08:54 AM »
See the attached screen shot. for some reason all the torrents have seeds as 0, however the exact same torrent (the first one in the list) is being downloaded in the lower half by uTorrent on the laptop on the same network. Torr

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:37:22 PM »

The pattern is clear to me now. The uTorrent dies after about an hour or two period. No matter what I do it will not revive. The only way to bring it back is to Initialize Bittorrent settings from the GUI. After I reinitialize it, it works for an hour or two before dying again. I make no changes to the settings except select the folder where the the downloads are to be kept at the time of Enabling the Torrent from the Buffalo GUI. 

Clearly this is a major bug. Does this even work for anybody at all?

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »

Is anybody going to help?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »

It does sound like a firmware issue, but not  a bug, just a bad install on your unit. Follow FAQ 2 of 5 to reinstall the firmware. During the debug settings choose "delete user config" to restore the interface back to factory defaults. Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:32 PM »

Jotin, I installed the latest firmware because I had the same problem with the earlier firmware which came originally with the unit. Is there any other diagnostic that I can run? Are there any known limits (like number of torrents or size of torrents) that are known to cause a problem? Though I have definitely not expected anything from the unit of that sort. As mentioned, torrents seem to just collapse to 0 download speeds over time for no reason.

Finally, Is there any way to install a firmware that had the older 'bittorrent' client? My earlier Buffalo NAS LS CHL had the 'bittorrent' software which worked very reliably even though it was not as powerful as uTorrent.

Mohammed

Hardedge

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 02:42:03 AM »

I have updated my LS-XHL to firmware 1.54 and seem to be having similar issues to mlokhandwala.  I have got utorrent to  download easily but have restricted uploading. When I run utorrent on my PC (running through the same router as my NAS) I can consistently seed completed torrents with ease but the same torrent on my NAS struggles to seed. Sometimes it might for a while but generally it doesn't.

utorrent on the PC also "sees" far more seeds than the NAS version. Strangely both versions see roughly the same number of total peers but the PC version will actually connect to these peers far more often.

I am confident that I have fowarded the correct ports in my router (also a buffalo) and have tried just about every setting.  The NAS version of utorrent is less configurable than the PC version.

I am running out of options and would welcome any suggestions as to what I could try.  I also think the web admin page is pretty sluggish to load and am starting to think that firmware 1.54 will be replaced soon. 

Hardedge

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »

Further to my message above I have also now experienced utorrent simply no longer downloading with firmware 1.54. To get it to work again you have to disable it then re-enable at which point it will download again

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 08:51:38 AM »

It is clear that this is a severe bug. I am very sorry to say that I am very disappointed with Buffalo. It seems to be such a promising device yet it has never been perfect. It is very frustrating especially when your earlier version with the simple 'Bittorrent' torrent client was working flawlessly on v1 hardware, I have used it ! My hopes with uTorrent were so much higher yet the device cannot handle more than 1 torrent. Try any form of setting changes (like upload limit) and the server dies. The bug not at all subtle which is what make it so disappointing and frustrating, and makes me ask this:

Do you guys test your products or do you think it is your customers job ???

turbochimp

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »

I have the same problem. Ports all forwarded. Firmware up to date (1TB LS-WXL). Dismal performance.

This NAS is good, it could be great but the torrent client needs serious work.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could test the health of the connection in the client but for some reason that function isn't there.

I tried torrenting off my laptop and got 400kbps, the same torrent on the NAS gets 10kbps. All ports sorted, but the client is the last issue here. Totally unacceptable, as the last poster says do you test this or is it our job?

Hardedge

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »

Have now been living with these torrent issues for about a month with this latest firmware and several things are now obvious.

1) The NAS utorrent version struggles to find seeds.  My PC version downloaded a poorly seeded torrent off a private tracker in one day.  The The NAS version of utorrent has not been able to download any of this torrent in two weeks.

2) After a few days the NAS utorrent becomes inaccessible through web admin and has to be disabled then re-enabled before it works again.

3) This NAS utorrent really struggles to seed torrents once downloaded. The PC version is far far superior.

4) The web admin browser is far too sluggish.  Can take 10 to 20 seconds for things to happen sometimes.

I can only hope that Buffalo are working on the next firmware revision as this one is no good. I have two NAS drives (LS-XHL) and only one has been upgraded to this latest firmware.....I am not upgrading the other one!

OliveTomato

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »

We have the same issue.  The torrent speed on the Buffalo Webui is dismal compared to that on the pc.  

I have updated the F/W to 1.54.

My only question is how to verify if I've forwarded the ports and whether any special ports need to be opened to the Buffalo TS.  If I can check this then I think it's an issue with the torrent software or a bug of some kind in the F/W.

Can someone give some advice on the ports so I can check that?  Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Lisa 

mlokhandwala

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »

So is anyone listening and doing something?