Author Topic: Change from Raid 1 to normal  (Read 2119 times)

dammshame

• Calf
Change from Raid 1 to normal
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »

Hello,

Context:

3 days ago my Linkstation Duo 2T (LS-WX2.0L/R1)? shut down on it's own.  Turned it back on and disk 2 had a issue which made it lose it's data (In RAID 0).  Bummer, as my LS-CHL just died 5 days before that so I had no "Real" back up.  So I did a firmware update (1.54) and deleted the array.  When it came back up it showed both drives as fine.  So I recreated in RAID 1 just in case the drive was bad.  Well now 2 days later it just tries to "Reconfigure" or "Synchronize" and won't stop until it shuts down.  I now have it about 20% full of DATA again.  

(LS-WX2.0L/R1)? 2T

SOHO network

Question:

I now want to Change the RAID to NORMAL so it stops shutting off every 5+ hours.  If  I delete the ARRAY  will my DATA still be on the drives?

EDIT:  Had RAID 1 and 0 mixed up.   Correct now.

Thanks in advance,

DS 

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: Change from Raid 0 to normal
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:07:21 PM »

Most likely you there is a problem in disks 2 which makes the unit shut down.

If you delete the array you destroy the data, so you did not deleted the RAID1 and recreated a RAID0.

Most likely you have a degraded RAID1.  Check the messages in NASnavi or blinking light colors and codes.

If you change the array you will destroy the data.

Make sure you have a RAID1 and if so, remove disk 2 and replace it with a new one.

I seems there is a physical problem with the disk(s), and the LS shuts down when it discovers the error.

dammshame

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:33 PM »

Thanks - 

Problem is I am now living in Costa Rica so it will take some time to get 2 new HD's.  Need one for my LS-CHL as well.  What if I just pull the second drive.  Will it continue to work and keep my DATA?

Or if that will not work.  Can I put my good disk 1 in the LS-CHL, get it working with DATA intact, and then wait for the 2 new HD's to install LS-WX2?

Thanks,

DS

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »

You mean, if you remove disk2 and use the Linkstation in RAID1 in degraded mode?

You don't need to hurry.  Degraded does not mean slow, it will work normally.

You can use the LS-WXL forever without problems, you just have to live with red lights flashing.

You can try to check disk2 in a PC and if everything seems to be OK, delete all partitions, put it back in the LS and rebuild the array.  Maybe the error is just a file system problem.

Regarding the LS-CHL, what was the problem?  Check the manual, look for error codes, for example 6 blinking red lights is very common.

dammshame

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »

Regarding the LS-CHL, what was the problem?  Check the manual, look for error codes, for example 6 blinking red lights is very common.?

HD is toast - you can HEAR it grinding..... But the error is 07- 7 quicks with no single- there is no error 07 listed in the manual

You mean, if you remove disk2 and use the Linkstation in RAID1 in degraded mode?

You don't need to hurry.  Degraded does not mean slow, it will work normally.

You can use the LS-WXL forever without problems, you just have to live with red lights flashing.

Tried that but NASnav starting seeing the Array and the disk as 2 different dirives - Doubled all the shares and kept losing connection to shares via laptops etc.

You can try to check disk2 in a PC and if everything seems to be OK, delete all partitions, put it back in the LS and rebuild the array.  Maybe the error is just a file system problem.  

Will try this as soon as I find a PC - I got 3 laptops down here....

How about this?  Can I put the good HD from the LS-WX into the LS-CH with out losing DATA?  Will the LS-CH see it as a disk or a *^$*%$ Arrary?

Thanks again for the help - Puravida

DS

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »

E7 means no disk found.

Regarding LS-WXL, working in degraded mode should be fine.  Maybe the problem is more complex.

I would mount the disk in a PC running Linux and backup (unfortunately some experience is necessary) before trying anything.

You cannot put the LS-WXL disk in the LS-CHL, because the firmware is in the disks and is configured for the LS-WXL.

BTH, I live in Guatemala and I purchase from Ebay, Amazon, etc. using this service

http://www.cpslogistics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=64

You just order from the vendor to the Miami address they give you and they ship from Miami to Central America.  They take care of customs also.

This saves a lot of Courier costs.

dammshame

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »

Thanks Escher,

Will get those ordered today.  I have heard about those shipping services before but have so far just relied people bringing stuff down for me.......

Cheers,

DS