Author Topic: Linkstation Live LS-CH500L Password Reset  (Read 13828 times)

fas

• Calf
Linkstation Live LS-CH500L Password Reset
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »

Hi

Just bought a new drive and during setup I have somehow changed the admin password and can no longer get into the settings screen. I have tried holding the function button and then pressing it again to reset but this does not work? How can I reset the password and username to default?

There is no reset button . . .

Thanks

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Live LS-CH500L Password Reset
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
Turn off the device. Once it has shut down completely, hold the Function button down for 8 seconds, the lights should start flashing. Once that has started, press the Function button down again for a second or two. The device should then have its password reset to "password".

Colinr99

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:43:36 AM »

I have recently purchased a LS-CH500L. Set up went fine, I left the admin login details as default until I was satisfied all was OK. I now cannot log in with the default user and password. I have tried a reset but so far no luck. Could you please clarify the steps. I have tried the following

Switch off NAS

Hold down function button

Switch NAS on with function held down - hold for about 8 seconds

Release function button

Light top front of device flashes

Press function button for a further 2 seconds

The device comes up, all works OK, except I cannot login to admin with the default user and password

Any comments / thoughts would be gratfully accepted

Thanks

Colinr99

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
   Further info on my earlier post. I have run through the reset process again. When I set the NAS up I gave it a static IP. Now the NAS is showing a different IP - I suspect the Static IP option has been reset to Dynamic and the IP has now been picled up from the DHCP server. This suggests that the reset process has, at least in part, worked. Still cannot logon with default user and password

genas1de

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »
   I have the same problem. Followed the steps outlined and I still can't gain access to the system. my old password does not work, and neither does the default one. For info, I still new  my password, I was only trying to reset it as my usual password stopped working. Could the password file have become corrupted on the device?? As I've got 160GB of photos on the device I am a little worried :(

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:10:02 PM »

genas1de,

Please post the model number of your device. Are you having trouble accessing the shares, or the web interface?

genas1de, Colinr99,

Please post the firmware version on the unit. You can find this in the NASNavigator software. What were the events leading up to this issue? What were ALL the configuration changes you made off the default settings?

This is an issue that we've had a very tough time isolating... I'd like to know as much information as possible about configuration, events leading up to the issue, and the setup of your network.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 07-30-2009 04:10 PM
Message Edited by Colin137 on 07-30-2009 04:12 PM

Colinr99

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:55:02 AM »

Please find info requested below

Firmware 1.07

I have made some changes to basic config, namely

1) Added 3 shares - simple setup no security

2) Changed time zone

3) Changed Dynamic IP to Static

4) Set up sleep times - 12:00 am - 6:00 am I think

I can't pin down the exact point that the password problem occurred. I tried webadmin after a few days and had the problem. One thing I'm not sure about is whether I have successfully got into webadmin since setting sleep times.

As for my network config - 

Belkin FD7230-4 Wireless router. 2 x Buffalo (the other is a Linkstation Pro with no issues) nas boxes directly connected. 3 x wireless connected laptops, 1 wired desktop all running xp. Internet connection via Broadband.

As I said in a previous post the problem is with webadmin. All data is visible from client pcs

Hope that helps

Colinr99

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:47:09 PM »

I tried to log onto to the NAS just now and I can. I have done nothing between yesterday and today to try and remedy the problem. The settings on the device still include sleep 24:00 - 06:00 so it has been to sleep.

Perhaps the reset did work yesterday - the IP address had changed - but maybe the password reset to ages. Also the device has been asleep for 6 hours.

This doesn't of course answer why the problem happened in the first place.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »

Hmmmm... that just confuses me more. Maybe a key was stuck on your keyboard? :P

Let me know if any other strange stuff comes up. We might need to find an exorcist...

Homer76

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »

>>Maybe a key was stuck on your keyboard?

I don't think so. I have the same experience: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=6855&view=by_date_ascending&page=8.

Best,

Marc

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 03:53:24 PM »

I guess you missed my sarcasm, sorry about that.

This issue is incredibly frusterating to me, as we haven't been able to reproduce it at all. For now, all we can do is collect as much information as possible in order to isolate the issue. Again, thanks to everyone for your patience.

marksi

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »
   My (month old) 1TB Linkstation was inaccessible to the network last night.  Rebooted it and it came back.  But while the hard drive is fine and contains all the data I've copied to it, in other senses the Linkstation has lost all it's settings and I can't log into it with either the user name and password I set, or the default admin and password.  I have reset the device as it states in this thread and it doesn't seem to work; I can't access the admin functions.  Advice please.

Colinr99

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 03:44:39 AM »

My first thought was keyboard or finger trouble. Typed the password into the user field to see what happened. All fine - it was 'password' as expected. That rules out keyboard. Also showed that I could type reasonably accurately. I would happily accept that this was a one off if there were not others experiencing the same problem.

By the way all still fine.

Prothean

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »

I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I've done the reset button thing a dozen times already and have tried "admin" and "password" but still cannot get into my LS. I have a LS-CH500L running 1.07 firmware. I can see the shares on my desktop, I can get to the login page, but the unit will not accept my username and password.

Please advise.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »

See if you can force the firmware and check the box for delete user config.  As stated above this is a really tough issue sense we have not be able to recreate this issue.