Author Topic: Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 - hard disk size  (Read 9764 times)

Ccarbo

• Calf
Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 - hard disk size
« on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

Hello,   I just bought this NAS and thought it could handle 2 x 2TB drives, instead it can only handle the 2 x 1TB drives.  I did some reasearch before it and thought it could do larger drives.  SO my question is, will there or is there a firmware upgrade that will introduce a larger drive for this model?  I have 2x 2TB drives I wanted to use and now they don't work so I might send this back if it can't.  Please reply.   thanks,

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Buffalo Linkstation LS-WX2.0TL/R1 - hard disk size
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

With the latest firmware it should support 3TB drives...

Ccarbo

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »

Excellent,  I will download the latest firmware and let you know!  Thanks!!

Ccarbo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »

Hello,   well I updated the firmware to 1.53 and all is running well with it.  so I powered it down and put in the 2 x 2TB drives and powered it on.   The red light flashes 6 times........ over and over.   I can't connect to it and see what is going on.    I thought your message said new firmware will take 3TB drives?  Please advise,  I really want to use these 2TB drives.  thanks.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »

Ccarbo

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »

Hello,   well I read the documents and "flashed" the drives and things did go fine after some trial and error.....  figured out the Japanese verbiage too.  So it was fine and showed as 4TB ..... 2 X 2TB.    So I wanted to change it from RAID 0 to RAID 1............ it went to like 20% and it errored out.   So I tried to re-flash the 1.53 firmware and got some error...... TCP...... something.  It was also flashing red lights,  2 long and 2 short..... not sure what that means.  So I quit for the night and powered it down via the switch.    I turned it on now and it is back to the 2 short flashes of red like it did in the beginning when I put in the new 2TB drives.  Do I have to go through this all again?  Also what firmware should I use from the FTP site?  The 1.41 did not have the right TFTP files from buffalo in it. I used File:TFTP Boot Recovery LS-WXL 1.33.exe?  from the ftp site.    Any advice what to do?    I suppose I will have to do it all over again?   Just don't know why it did not like when I tried to change it to a  RAID 1,  that is what I want to redundancy.    Please advise.....  thanks.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:49 PM »

E22 means drive mount error.  It is not well documented.  Look in error codes for LS-XHL in the manual also, the share the same firmware.

If TFTP Boot recovery 1.33 worked fine, OK. The TFTP boot file I used is for firmwares 1.40 and up, maybe your LS-WXL had FW lower version than this, because there are different versions of bootloaders which are in ROM.  It should not be necessary to install firmware again, or at least it should be easier because you don't need to TFTP boot, just run LS updater.

I can't give you specific instructions on how to resolve the RAID problem.  Maybe try to delete the array or "remove" the disks and then format the disks.  I agree, RAID0 makes no sense. 

Ccarbo

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »

Ok,  so these steps?  I had the firmware of the NAS at the newest before I put the bigger drives in.  1.53b,  it just did not recognize the disks..... I did not know up front these had a special Linux type partition.....  The NetGear NAS I installed for a small biz, I could put whatever drives in and setup RAID 1, and go.....  this is a PITA.    Should I use the firmware for the LS-XHL instead?   Could it be the drives I am using that won't work with this?  they are Samsung drives, don't recall the model.   thanks,   Clint

1. Start updater, enter debug mode, select “Rebuild partition table” only, click OK, click update, be patient, LS will show I20 (two amber lights), (if only one disk later E22), LS will reboot and show E6.

2. Set PC to IP address 192.168.11.1, start TFTP server (if not still running).

3. Press function, TFTP boot will serve the files.

4. LS will boot, be patient, show I25 (information 25, two long and 5 short amber lights) and finally reboot normally with factory defaults (even Japanese web interface).

5. Have fun switching the language to English:

?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »

The firmware is copied into the drives, so if you change the drives, the firmware is lost.

The operating system partitions are EXT3 and the data partition is XFT (yes Linux).

Most of the drives shipped with LS are green Samsung or WD.

If you change the drives you have an E6 and you have to perform a TFTP boot.  Version 1.33.exe  works fine.

Firmware is the same for

Model        LS-XHL, LS-CHL, LS-WXL, LS-WSXL, LS-VL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL, LS-XL Series

?

In other words, start from the very beginning of my instructions.

Ccarbo

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:22 PM »

Escher,    yes that is what I did......... downloaded the 1.33 firmware,  did tftp 1st time..... etc, etc.  It did the format of the drives, etc.... it all worked. Even the Japanese cake,  I fixed that and it rebooted and it came fine and I seen 4TB of space in RAID 0 mode.  SO - that i figured the process worked............ BUT then next step was to delete RAID 0 and create RAID 1,  that is where she calfed about 20% into it.   So its back to E6 where it don't recognize anything......  I guess I will just start over with your steps and see if that same thing happens.  Hope it is a fluke.    The 2 x 1TB drives that were in it are Seagate drives.  7200 rpm.    I had some nice Samsung 2TB 5400rpm I wanted to use.    I will give it another try and see what happens.  Thanks!

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »

Sorry, I misunderstood.

It should have worked.

Yes, you have to start over, but after a little practice it just takes minutes.

Make sure there are no blinking amber lights (this would mean that something is going on) when rebooting.

The creation of a RAID1 array can take 16 hours for this disk size.

Hopefully the disks are supported.

Ccarbo

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »

Ok,  the disks are Samsung HD204UI  2TB/R54/32M.   Are these supported?  They were redcognized the first time as a RAID 0 so its seems like they flashed.

I am going on vacation for a week so I will try it when I get back.....  hey thanks for you help so far.  I appreciate it.