Author Topic: LS-WXL not recovering from loss of power  (Read 2822 times)

d_worth_1

• Calf
LS-WXL not recovering from loss of power
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:43:49 PM »

Without thinking I killed the power to my LS-WXL before leaving on vacation.  Now I cannot access the drives. When I click on the mapped drives, I get at Windows error.  When I click on 'browse' from NASNavigator, nothing happens.  Although I can access the music through iTunes without any issues.

I have a  LS-WXL437  Firmware version 1.41 set in RAID 1 mode.

When it powers up I get a solid blue power and solid orange info/error light.

NASNavigtor finds the drive and reports an accurate percentage of usage.

The web interface opens fine and in system->maintenance I see "HDD Status Report, Fan Failure, ..."

I tried a system->storage "check disk" and it completed without problem. I am not runnign any mac's so didn't check the 'Mac' box.

I have not tried either EM or other boot modes, yet

Any ideas for recovering from a hard power down.

ESCHER

• El Toro
Re: LS-WXL not recovering from loss of power
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 10:06:05 PM »

Don't worry about the solid amber light, it means there is a newer firmware version available.

Download firmware 1.52 and update.  It should be a straightforward procedure and it should solve your problems.

d_worth_1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »

Thanks.  I was able to upgrade the firmware (now at 1.52)

iTunes still works.  Windows7 still unable to see the disks :(

NASNavigator sees the disk without any issues.

Any other ideas?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »

The next step is to restore default factory settings.

This can be done from the Web admin in System, Restore/Erase.

If unable to do it via the Web admin, read the manual, there are instructions on how to reset by pressing function by switching on.

d_worth_1

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:21 AM »

Thanks, actually did that this evening. 

Have now discovered that other compters are working fine, it is just one that is not.

computer that is not working Brandnew Windows7 Home Premium 64-bit (tried both hardwired and wireless) (this was working a week ago before the hard shutdown)

Computers that are working:

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit laptop (wireless)

Windows XP SP3 netbook (wireless)

Windows XP SP3 desktop (hardwired)

I was running with the IP address static, since the reset, it is now DHCP, and all other computers have responded fine.

All computers are running McAfee anti-virus (provided by AT&T)

Router is a Linksys WRT54G-TM

LS-WX2.0TL/R1 at firmware 1.52

IP address 192.168.0.106 (set by DHCP)

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.0.1

MAC 4C:E6:76:2E:54:37

If I type \\192.168.0.106  as an address into Windows explorer on the computer that does not work, I get a "NEtwork Error  Windows cannot access \\192.168.0.106  Check the spelling...." pop-up.  When I do the same thing on other computers, then the drive directories pop up.

I have tried turing off the firewall on the computer that does not work, no change in behavior

There have been no Windows updates installed since 7/17 (which is before I bought the disk and had it workign on this computer)

On the computer that is not working, I have uninstalled NASNavigator, and then re-installed

iTunes, NasNavigator and Web interfaace all work on the computer that Windows cannot 'see' the disks.

Any ideas?

I'm befuzzled to say the least.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »

Have you tried to tweak Windows 7 network ?

In Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>Change advanced sharing settings>turn on network discovery.?

?

d_worth_1

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »

Escher,

Thanks for the idea.  I tried that and many other items, will with no success.  I called Buffalo the other night and was told, "since only one computer isn't working, and others are, then it must be a computer problem, we cannot help you."  I understand their point, but not very helpful or customer centric.

I did work with them and hooked up this 'bad' computer directly to the NAS, and it would not work even then. (I did try with a 'good' computer, and everything was fine).

This afternoon I have uninstalled my virus protection, and everything I can find on the computer that could impact the Network and still no luck.  I upgraded the NASNavigator to 2.34 from 2.25, still no luck.   I just did a Windows7 restore back to the last day it was working, still no luck.

The only hint that I have now is that I setup a very open windows file sharing (shared public folders, no password, network ID on,...)  The computer that is not working with the NAS also has trouble browsing other shared folders

Since this is a brand new computer, my next thought is to completely reinstall windows.  part of me is hoping that I can find something wrong with the computer and just get it replaced

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:16:24 PM »

Is the wokgroup of the Win7 PC the same as the workgroup of the Linkstation?

I would try disabling the home group set up and just workgroup. I ran into issues when using Windows 7's homegroup method.?

d_worth_1

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:30:37 AM »

Great idea, thanks for sticking with me on this one.  Tried that, the workgroup wasn't matched.  Still busted.  I don't have homegroups setup at all.  I'm going to try taking computer back to Fry's tomorrow and see if I can solve that way