Author Topic: External USB drive recomendation  (Read 2256 times)

lancer

• Calf
External USB drive recomendation
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »

I want to add some storage to my 5-year old Linkstation NAS HD-H250LAN via the USB .  I was looking at a 2TB Seagate drive but saw a lot of bad reviews.

Any recomendation on adding storage via USB?  I can get Seagate 2TB USB drive for about $90.  I can get a 2TB Buffalo NAS drive for about $250. 

Is the USB method reliable and does it appear as just extended storage to network users (i.e. it makes the current NAS drive look bigger)?

Thanks

Lancer

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: External USB drive recomendation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 10:32:35 AM »

This unit only supported max of 1TB. Any usb external 1Tb drive should work as long as the drive has no RAID, requires no software to run and has no auto power down feature.

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »

Thank you.

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »

I went and looked in Best Buy, but I think all of their drives require software drivers to run (e.g. Seagate's popular 1TB portable USB drive).  Any recomendations?  it is not obvious when looking at the packaging if they require software or will just plug and play on a NAS device

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »

You could use one of our external drives. The drivestation axis 1TB should work just fine.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

do not use any of our drives with the first partition is a virtual CD-ROM (where all the utitlities are stored). When using an external drive, the NAS looks at the first partition as the location to store data. Our drives that have an X in this location, HD-PX (after the -), have the first partition locked and aren't compatible for what you want to do.

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »

Thank you.  I will do that

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:36:50 AM »

In the USB info via web interface, it shows support for USB 2.0/USB1.1

Will my linkstation work with the USB3.0 version?  I would rather get this if I decide to use it later hooked up to a computer or something that supports 3.0

here are other details of the Linkstation

Firmware v1.42

287MB

It is about 4-5 years old

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:05:38 PM »

Technically USB3.0 is backward compatible so it should work, i'll test it on mine tomorrow and let you know :-)

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »

Thank you

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 07:44:59 PM »

I have encountered a scary problem.

I bought the Axis 1TB USB3.0 drive, and installed it today hanging off my 250GB linkstation.

I ran the NasNavi utilitie to browse the shares, and i saw the USBdrive1 folder, but could not open it or access the device, so I went to Format and selected USBdrive.  I figured a re-formating would hurt since it was brand new.

Well it indicated the re-formating had started, but after 30 minutes or so it never completed.  I could no longer access my backup drive either, and could not find it with NasNavi (which is always reliable).

I am just trying to get my NAS online now.  I have tried powering it down, unplugging it from power for 30 min, but still can't get even NasNavi to find it.

When the NAS drive boots, the green light blinks for about 15 seconds, then goes solid and a red light comes on near the bottom.

can anyone help ?

lancer

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »

Everything seems to be back online now after a series of back and forths.

I was able to map the USB drive to a network drive alias, and everything appears to be online now.