Author Topic: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL Mail notification error & ntp error  (Read 8053 times)

guschdl

• Calf
Linkstation Duo LS-WXL Mail notification error & ntp error
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:25:26 AM »

I have 2 problems with my Linkstation Duo LS-WXL? since i installed the FW 1.52 (i had to reset the Linkstation because of an error ):

1. It is not possible to change the settings for time and date, the button for ntp settings is not selectebale.

2. i want to set the mail notification, but wath ever i put in to the settings, the test mail can't be sent. i am sure that the settings for smtp and user are correct.

guschdl

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Duo LS-WXL Mail notification error & ntp error
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »

Nobody with the same problems ?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »

1.  Have you unchecked  "use default NTP server"?

2. For my Gmail account I use:

SMPT server: smtp.gmail.com?

Port: 587?

POP3 Server Address:? blank

POP3 Port No.:?  blank

Authentication:  LOGIN(SMTP-AUTH)?

SSL/TLS:?  STARTTLS?

elvisimprsntr

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »

?

I have never been able to get the mail notification working.  I used similar settings as the previous poster indicated as well as unsecured port options. Nothing seems to work.  I don't think it's my LS network setting since time server works and the LS will notify me when there is a new release of firmware.  I am currently running 1.54 which includes support for DHX2 authentication used by Mac OS X Lion

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elvis

UPDATE

I added a second email recipient to the mail notification list.  The first is a SMS text email address, the second the same email address used to authenticate to the SMTP server.     Now at least the LS claims to have sent an email vs. before when it would report an error.   Unfortunately, the email is never received by either recipient.  

?I believe I have a theory why some emails do not get through.  My email is through my personal domain name provided by register.com.  When I try to send an email to my own email address, the email will be sent, by the register.com mail servers will not actually route the email back to my inbox.   So I am left to wonder if because the LS mail notification automatically places the recipient email in the FROM field, that the mail servers are filtering/blocking the email from actually getting through.    I have been able to work around this problem in the past with other notification systems in embedded devices by simply sending the email to my cell phone SMS text email address.  In those circumstances the FROM field is not populated with the recipient email address.    My guess this is a bug or "feature" of the LS mail notification the results of which will vary depending on your mail servers filtering/blocking. Until BT changes the mail notification to stop populating the FROM field the mail notification feature is useless.?

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »

Mail settings are different depending on the mail server.

Google settings are not typical, so you should note the setting you have in a working PC and set the Linkstation with exactly the same ports, authentication methods and server names.  For testing, you can try also a Gmail account with the settings I suggest. I put my account user and password and my email as recipient.  For me mail notifications are working well.?

elvisimprsntr

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »

I may be new to this forum, but not a novice regarding mail clients and servers.  The LS mail notification will not work with my mail server, period.  

Luuk

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:20:42 AM »

Did you check if you entered a correct "DNS server" under Network/settings?

Luuk

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:22:31 AM »

elvisimprsntr wrote:

I may be new to this forum, but not a novice regarding mail clients and servers.  The LS mail notification will not work with my mail server, period.  

Does that have to do with YOUR mailserver? or with the LS ?

elvisimprsntr

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »
1. I use dd-wrt open source router firmware which supports DNSMasq thus the correct DNS entries are the same as the gateway address which works for all my other 17 IP based devices. The LS time server works, firmware notification and updates via the web interface, and with some tricks I can get the LS to communicate with my mail server.
2. The mail notification is two fold
a. It has been reported that the LS mail notification populates the FROM address with the same TO address. My mail server spam filtering will block and may even report and error to the client. If I add a second email address for example my cell phone SMS email I can at least get the LS to claim it sent a test email.
b. I also know for a fact that my mail server will filter email sent to myself. I get around this by sending to a differerent email or my cell phone SMS number.

I my opinion BT needs to add a field to allow the user to enter the FROM address.

Luuk

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:57:42 AM »

You seem to have more problems with spam filtering than with sending mail from your device to your mailserver :smileyhappy:

Maybe you could add a 'whitelist' option for the emailadres configured on your LS?

elvisimprsntr

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
BT needs to fix their client. I am not the only one who has similar problems with their crappy client.

P.S. why did it take for me to send BT an email to alert them to the changes forthcoming regarding DHX2 authentication for Mac OS Lion when the problem had been well documented since March? Because they are lazy SOBs. I sent them a bug report as soon as I installed a developer gold master seed and told them they might want to get their act in gear before they get slammed once LIon became public. BT openly admitted in this forum that it was not until they received a bug report from a certain individual and not from any posts on this forum. I have another bone to pick with them on their configuration for NFS exports. The more I use their products the more I am starting to look for alternatives.

guschdl

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:11 AM »

I tried out everithing, i still can't send Status Mails and Testmails from my LS.

I also can't change the settings fot Time and Date.

Is there any hope for a answer from BT ?

elvisimprsntr

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 06:09:52 PM »

i have given up on notifications as i think BT has all but eliminated their domestic tech support and all their programmers are overseas.  

Use the following NTP settings:

automatic

ntp server: us.pool.ntp.org

dont use default <--- need to deselect this in order to enter custom server above.  

frequency 3 hours

time zone: as appropriate

you may want tp update to 1.54 firmware released this week.

ESCHER

• El Toro
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

elvisimprsntr wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier just to open a new Gmail account for the LS?

elvisimprsntr

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »

Nope.  The reason i like my currently mail server provider is becasue of their filtering.  I get absolutely NO SPAM.   Why whould i want to sign up for a gmial account whaich i will only be bombarded with SPAM and google advertisements. Actually I could care less about the LS mail notification.    I would rather BT fix much bigger issues.