Author Topic: ministation hd-pct500u2/b-us spins down too fast  (Read 1669 times)

AaronDude

• Calf
ministation hd-pct500u2/b-us spins down too fast
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

Yeah so my ministation hd-pct500u2/b-us spins down too fast?.  What I mean is after about thirty seconds of inactivity it just spins down.  I've had this drive for months but have only been using it for data backup storage because the performance of it for music or videos is no good.  I've tried it all.  I've tested it on a PS3 same spin down after 30 seconds,  I've tried two windows 7 64 bit computers, same thing.  I've formatted it several times with fat 32 and NTFS with same result.  I've tweaked the windows power settings and they have no effect.  I've tried eco manger no effect either.

Maybe this is just the way the drive is supposed to function?  That's fine if it is, I haven't had any problems with it otherwise.  I would just like to know.  I was thinking of getting that brand of harddrive that is the world leading manufacturer, (you know who it is, I just don't know if I'm allowed to say it).  I have several of that brands hard drives and they take like five mins of inactivity to spin down. 

I'm beginning to think it's just the brand of drive in this thing.  Someone told me buffalo doesn't make hard drives, they just create the enclosure and software.  If that's true I'm kind of interested of what brand of drive is in it and that may be the problem.

The blue light stays on for about five mins but the drive just spins down too fast, I can even feel it when I hold it.  This creates hiccups in music and videos, if it doesn't access the hard drive at least once every 30 seconds

Anyway, thanks for listening.

AaronDude

• Calf
Re: ministation hd-pct500u2/b-us spins down too fast
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:54:16 PM »

Ok after some thinking it's really not ok to me that it spins down so quickly,, I'm going to be honest about that.  Is this Western Digital firmware the drive uses?  If so it really is no good.  It is unacceptable that a drive spins down this quickly.  I think the spindown time should be at least two minutes, 8-30 seconds is just insane.  Spin Up, Spin down, Spin Up, Spin down, that's all it does.  It's useless for anything other than backups.  Eco manger does not work either.  It will still spin down every 30 seconds even if I set it to whatever I want to set it to.

I'm going to be very careful about buying buffalo products in the future if this is the kind of quality it's putting out.  I bought a WD Elements 1.5 TB desktop that is coming in the mail.  I hope that works better than the ministation, but being that the ministation has a WD hard drive in it I may have made another mistake..