Author Topic: TFTP MODE E06: Lost boot image  (Read 92330 times)

trondf

• Calf
TFTP MODE E06: Lost boot image
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:10:36 AM »
   Hi, I have a terastation pro ii that shows TFTP MODE E06: Lost boot image in the display... Is there a way to get it up and running again????

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: TFTP MODE E06: Lost boot image
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 08:35:33 AM »

Procedure

• Download the TFTP Boot software from the FTP site. There is adifferent version of the software for each NAS device. It is currentlyon available on the FTP site, but may soon be on the main Buffalo site.
ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/nas-recovery

• The Software is a self-extractor, so when the user click onfile it will ask them where they want to extract the files to. TheDesktop is a good choice, but anywhere will work just as good.
  • Set the IP address on the computer to 192.168.11.1
  • Connect the Buffalo NAS to the computer, or for an easier way, connect the computer and NAS to a switch or router.
  • Launch the TFTP Boot.exe
  • Boot the Buffalo NAS into EM Mode.
Before the NAS pulls the filesAfter the NAS pulls the files
Make sure the software is "Listening On: 192.168.11.1"
If it does not you must stop the software and restart it.
  • It may take up to 60 seconds for the NAS to boot off TFTP and be detected by the NasNavi
    • A copy of the NasNavi.exe is included

Image:TFTP Boot NasNavi.png

• Once the NasNavi utility "sees" the Buffalo, you can start the firmware update.
Message Edited by Colin137 on 01-22-2009 04:23 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
Images fixed.

ccie7599

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:40 PM »

Help- I've done the same thing with a Terastation Pro firmware ver. 1.04.

I sold the drives out of it and replaced them- what a dumba$$ I am. Now I find out that my boot image walked out the door with the drives.

I don't see a TFTP version for the TS Pro- can I use any standard TFTP server to send it a file?

dn1982

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »

I cannot connect to my Linkstation Pro Duo via TFTP.  It hangs at 'accepting 'requests' and does not send the files.  I have set the ip address to 192.168.11.1. With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  I've made sure that all firewalls / antivirus are turned off and I am connecting directly (i.e. not through a switch).

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,

David

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »

ccie7599: I'll work on getting the TS Pro TS-x.xTGL/R5 TFTP Boot Recovery on the site today. I've never heard of that happening with a Terastation Pro, though... can you check the model number on the back for me?

dn1982: try hooking both devices up to the same switch. Which version LS Pro Duo do you have (how many USB ports)?

Message Edited by Colin137 on 01-29-2009 10:40 AM

ccie7599

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »

Another bonehead move on my part- using 1.5TB drives which per Buffalo Tech are not supported by the 1.04 Pro. They say that's why it wasn't properly going into EM mode (although I can still PING it which is somewhat confusing but probably just means that the Interface initializes on a lower level).

Oh well- off to FreeNAS- I think something homebuilt will probably outperform the Pro anyway- it's a good unit but so slowwwww.

Anyone want to buy a gently used Terastation Pro without any drives? :-)

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

Aha, the original TS Pro (TS-x.xTGL/R5) supported at max 500GB drives.

As far as your FreeNAS project, try to find a TS Pro II (TS-Hx.xTGL/R5) shell, since it has a faster processor and an ARM architecture.

dn1982

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:59:37 AM »

I have the latest version with two USB ports.  To cut a long story short, I installed V1 firmare onto it rather than V3 (due to the wrong files being included in the TFTP package).  I'm now trying to TFTP the correct files so that I can install V3 firmware.

The issue I'm having is my pro duo is not receiving anything from TFTP.  I should add that I do not have any flashing red lights - is that why?

Many thanks for your help,

David

dn1982

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 10:43:25 AM »

Just thought I would add a little more context.  The box is currently in EM mode.  I can probably reinstall the V1 firmware it could it back working.  However, I really want to install the V3 firmware - as that's what the box is.  From EM mode, the updator won't install V3, that's why I need to TFTP the new files across which will allow the Updator to recognise it as a V3.

Thanks!

David

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »
The TFTP software for the LS Pro Duo is for the v1. Running the v1 firmware on a v3 box is not a good idea, since there are hardware differences between them. I've been working on a TFTP package for the v3 Pro Duo, I should have it up on the FTP site by Monday.

dn1982

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »

Thanks Colin.  I realise that now however I didn't realise that at the time I couldn't understand why the V3 updater failed.

Any ideas why the box isn't connecting to the TFTP server?  I've tried it directly and through a switch, making sure that firewall / antiviruses are disables.  Is there something I can do to further diagnose the problem, or another way to upgrade from the V1 firmware to V3?

The box is only 2-3 months old so I could call support if needed.

Many thanks,

David 

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
Once the separate versions of the TFTP Boot Recovery software are up on the FTP site, try booting the device off the one appropriate for your version.

selbendary

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »
   I have same problem have you find any solution?

landiepete

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »

I'm in this pickle too with a TS Pro II 2GB. I run the TFTP utility and it connects. I then run the NasNavi util and it finds the TS.

Then I must flash the image, but I have no idea on how to do this.

There is a utility within the TFTP zip file, but when I run that, a cmd box opens and nothing happens.

It is connected to a PC running Vista 64, set to the correct IP (it DOES connect !)

Help me out please ? Thanks !

Peter R.