Author Topic: Upgrading hard drives to Linkstation DUO, LS-WX2.0TL/R1-EU (2* 1TB, manufactured may 2010)  (Read 7371 times)

shadowlight

• Calf

Model:  LS-WX2.0TL/R1-EU (2* 1TB, manufactured may 2010)?

Firmware version: 1.24  (DTCP-IP:1.22-20100113)?

hi,

I think this is one of the frequently asked questions (but may be not so frequently posted)

for all models with quick swap HDD bays, so I think this should already be covered by the

user manuals  (System specification -section, where there is nothing

mentioned about the HDDs or HDD bays in the user manual 35011114-3_EN.pdf)

of all those kind of drives.

However, after researching I am still curious to find out, if I can upgrade the now 2*1TB

configuration ( I am currently running in RAID-1 mode so I have 1 TB for files)

to, say, 2 * 2TB configuration? Has anybody done this and what are the specs for those drives?

I am looking for the most top spec drives possible for my upgrade and I am

only asking for information on how to install bigger capasity new drives into my existing Linkstation.

All other options are out of scope for this question.

ESCHER

• El Toro

Current firmware is 1.52 and at least in theory supports 3TB disks.?

To be safe, make sure you use supported disks.

These should be OK

http://buffalocloudstor.com/specs/hdd-list/

And follow FAQ regarding TFTP boot and force firmware update.

In debug mode select "rebuild partition table" only.

You can have various sets of disks which you can swap.

shadowlight

• Calf

hi,

Thanks a lot!. In fact, without knowing precisely, I already had decided to

order two  WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (2 TB each) disks that appear to be on

the supported list link that you provided.  I'll try to make these work without a firmware

update first, just to be on the safe side because v1.52 release notes did

not mention any important upgrade reason for me, nor could I find release notes

for any intermediate version between 1.24 and 1.52.

If anybody knows that I for sure HAVE TO update the firmware, please let me

know.

ESCHER

• El Toro

Most of the firmware is stored in the disks, so if you install new disks, there is no firmware.

I think it is best to upgrade to the latest firmware.   Latest firmwares are supposed to rebuild RAID faster.  In the other hand, download links for old firmwares are removed, so practically there is no choice.

I have posted instructions (for dummies) here:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/help-please/td-p/69446/page/2

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Be aware that this will void your warranty!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

7tronics

• Calf

I too have an older Linkstation Duo 2x1TB which is long past warranty. Here is my plan and I'll post results as they play out:

• upgrade firmware to latest level (1.54 as of today 2011-09-09)
  • reinstall updates to allow ssh to root (there are several ways, see http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki )
  • break mirror by removing one 1TB drive, keep this as my recovery drive
  • attempt to install a 2TB drive as mirror and rebuild array,

NOTE: if the firmware allows this, there will be ~1TB of available space on this 2TB drive One thing I'd like to try is create a separate partition that isn't mirrored and run for awhile with that. Anyone tried this before? LG calls this "RAID1 + JBOD" and I thought Synology supported this as well. Can't find support on TS-209 for this, but I'm starting fresh with this Buffalo Linkstation Duo, so willing to experiment.

Then later:

• IF above is successful, then break mirror and install 2nd 2TB drive, rebuild mirror
  • find a way to resize the partitions to use the full 2TB mirror now in place
    (had to use external Clonezilla in a TS209)
  • cycle a 2TB drive as a backup periodically

I performed this a year and a half ago on a QNAP TS209 going from a pair of 500GB drives up to a pair of 1TB. Concurrently looking to upgrade both the TS209 and the Buffalo Linkstation Duo to 2x2TB. I'm still researching the best way to try to optimize space. In the TS209 case, I was able to reset the 4 volumes created and then import the user and system definitions and it all worked! I hope for the same here if I have to resort to reinstall of firmware on the 2x2TB drives.

Interesting that both Synology and LG support active resizing of mirrored volumes. Anyone know how to do this with Linkstation Duo?

Best, Mark

UPDATE:

there is a related thread here in the nas-central forum which describes increasing size of partitions for Linkstations.

bedigitalmedia

• Calf

HI there

I'm new to forums so please excuse if this has been asked/solved already.

I have a 1TB (2 x 500gb) LinkStation Pro Duo and unfortunately as i had them setup in Raid 0 when disk 1 failed, it rendered both disks unreadable. I'm recovering the data externally, but what i'd like to know is how to place 2 new 500gb drives in to the unit and start a fresh so to speak.

I have already purchased 2 new 500gb drives, the same speed as the old ones and installed into the unit. However, when i turn the unit on i get a flashing orange "i" and green icon below, and the NAS Navi wont show the unit. I presume this is beca\use the drives has no system software or firmware?

I was told that putting new drives in would work, but can get no assistance in actually making the unit work again.

can some one please advise, point me in the right directtion, or if it's not feasible, let me know... then i'll have 2 very expensive paperweights.

cheers

karl