Author Topic: Mac OS 10.7 Issues w/ Time Machine - PLEASE READ  (Read 93140 times)

blueoyster

• Calf
Re: Mac OS 10.7 Issues w/ Time Machine - PLEASE READ
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »

We're MAC users, currently using OS 10.6 (leopard) with a Linkstation Quad (LS-QL/R5) NAS?.  Would prefer to upgrade to OS 10.7 (lion) but understand the Time Machine function in OS 10.7 is incompatible with the NAS.   While, the Linkstation Pro (LS-QVL/R5) has a updated firmware which is apparently compatible with Lion, a similar downloadable and compatible upgrade is not available for our LS-QL/R5.  We purchased the NAS as a new product 18 months ago.   MAC OS 10.7 was released in August and Beta versions were likely available to Buffalo Technology for at least a year.   Do you have a timeline for release of updated firmware for our Linkstation?  Previous postings suggest Buffalo Technology has failed to adequately respond to this issue. ?

dotjay

• Calf
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2011, 05:40:20 AM »

schlumpf76 wrote:

dr.memory, jay,

you owe us an update on the situation with LS-CHLv1. it is great that you talked to your engineers in japan, by now they should have figured out whether buffalo will/can develop a firmware update to support time machine on lion.

your customers deserve clear communication on that matter, please do so.

regards,

schlumpf76

Hear, hear!

Saying things like "This only works with the following LinkStation products: LS-XHL, LS-CHL, LS-WXL, LS-WSXL, LS-VL, LS-WVL, LS-QVL, LS-XL Series?" leads me to believe that my two LS-CHL?v1 NASs will be supported. It doesn't seem to be the case. Buffalo, sad to say it, but you're losing a load of customers here, me included.

Jon

Umbogo

• Calf
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »

I have the same Linkstation, and have upgraded to Lion, so I can confirm: the LS-QL/R5 doesn't support it. So far radio silence from Buffalo, and no response to support requests through the website or by phone. I guess if there's no response it's a question of brand loyalty: Buffalo or Apple.

Apple has responded by marketing Promise storage on their site. Lacie is also offering a solution.

matto

• Calf
« Reply #153 on: November 18, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »

Has there still not been any official news about a firmware update for the LS-QL?  This is disappointing.

Does anyone know of a 4-bay external NAS enclosure that I can put my LS-QL drives in?  One made by a company who cares about its customers...

ngarimu

• Calf
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »

My TS-XEL8 (TeraStation ES 8GB) just reported a firmware update that I do not see anywhere on the buffalotech.com website. I'm letting the TS update itself from the internet and will report back once the update is complete. Fingers crossed.

ngarimu

• Calf
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

I can confirm that the TeraStation ES firmware 1.55 now has full support for Lion in both Finder and TimeMachine.

ngarimu

• Calf
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2011, 09:25:16 PM »

btw I also found my firmware updates here http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/

Note this is not buffalotech.com - it's Buffalo's UK site.

deagles

• Calf
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »

Hi All ...for those with LS-QL lion/timemachine "bricks" ... here's a solution that worked for me and at least has given me backups until I purcahse a new non-buffalo NAS.

1. apple KB article to allow LS-QL to connect to 'legacy AFP'

2. how to create a virtual timemachine disk on your external NAS

3. how to get Lion to think your NAS meets the new lion requirements to stop the 'The network backup disk does not support the required AFP features' message

Cheers

deagles

boing

• Calf
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2011, 02:09:30 PM »

A college asked me today, if he should buy a Buffalo NAS, because I once told him I bought a LS-mini. Told him of the OSX Lion support desaster: he will not buy from Buffalo now.

Deputy5211

• Calf
« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2011, 05:03:54 PM »

It is 29 December and STILL no apparent fix for this.  I downloaded a firmware "fix" that is supposed to restore TM access via Lion, but 'search' function says no drives needing update.  My firmware is 3.05 (I see 3.10 as latest, but need to update that from one of the Windoze boxes.

FWIW, I was able to establish a connection by downloading the latest NAS Navigator2 and then connecting via finder, but this is a crude work-around at best, and certainly a PITA.

Jay, or anyone in the know at BT, what is the current company line on getting this resolved?  Elapsed time since OSX/Lion drop has certainly been more than the "weeks" I saw outlined in other posts as your timeframe for getting suport properly implemented.

My device is LS Pro Duo, Model LS-W2.0TGL/R1-US.

brossbach

• Calf
« Reply #160 on: January 03, 2012, 09:25:09 AM »

I have an HD-H250LAN that Lion OS rejects. It seems clear from this long message thread that Buffalo has walked away from its products, and so I'm walking away from Buffalo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there appears to be no firmware updates out or in the works to correct the problem.

I have back-door access to the data through an older Mac on my network, but that's hardly a solution!

ngarimu

• Calf
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
Has everyone tried the UK website for firmware. They seem to be a *little* more up to date than the US site.

I posted a link earlier in this chain. The downloads are different from the US so check it out if you're still left out in the cold.

evantanski

• Calf
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2012, 06:57:44 AM »

I have not upgraded to Lion, but SMB should still work to access your photographic media. Try accessing each volume in a complete path and using the server name instead of the IP. The example being, smb://stora/FamilyLibrary or smb://stora/MyLibrary. I also noticed on the other forum that you may have renamed your server "media", so you may have to insert this in place of "stora" If this fails and you are a little familiar with terminal, autofs functions should also still work.

http://www.downloadfrostwire.org/

DaN-PrS

• Calf
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »

As seen on Amazon online retailer here:

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Technology-LinkStation-LS-WSX1-0TL-R1/dp/B00365MF68/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333060846&sr=8-1-spell

the Linkstation Mini LS-WSX1.0TL/R1 (1 Terabyte model) is still to this day being sold on the market. In fact that's where I bought mine a little over a year ago. 

Scrool down to "technical details" and to this day it still advertises as one of it's features (quote from Amazon):

"Time Machine Support: Use the LinkStation Duo with Time Machine backup"

Furthermore, the box of the product itself advertises such a feature. So it is simply baffling that not only did Buffalo fail to intruduce or even begin testing a new firmware update before this major OS update but in addition they have chosen to do so only on some models. 

For a customer like me who has had the Linkstation Mini for a relative short time, it seems like the product was released to the market and support instantly removed. This is only confirmed by the calls made to their customer service line who's reps confirmed that my device would not be one of the few to participate in the BETA even less, it would not even see the future firmware update. 

Someone needs to explain to me how is it that a company is allowed to release a product, advertise a feature and fail to deliver. Is there a class action lawsuit that I"m not aware of because this is simply unacceptable. 

I asked about this a week after Lion was released at which point I updated my PC. We're now in the BETA tests of Apple's next OS update, "Mountain Lion." Still Buffalo Tech has yet to release a final update for anyone and for some like me, not even hope. How can we forgive Buffalo, how many of us have invested and depended on these devices only to be mislead? 

Buffalo Technologies lies. Buffalo Technologies if you care about your cutomers, where is your support, feedback and resolution to this issue that many have awaited for almost a year. How much louder do we need to get? And why are some of your hardware not being granted the same firmware update as the rest, if it's a hardware limitation don't you think it's you relabel your packaging and stop misadvertising?!

Class-Action Lawsuit anyone?

smithjhon

• Calf
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2012, 12:02:25 AM »

Good Job!!!!!