Author Topic: Mac OS 10.7 Issues w/ Time Machine - PLEASE READ  (Read 93187 times)

melmalinowski

• Calf
Re: Mac OS 10.7 Issues w/ Time Machine - PLEASE READ
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »

If anybody does create such a group, or Twitter hash, let me know. I just posted this to Jay (though he hasn't posted any updates since July, so it's not clear if he's paying any attention).

If Buffalo does in fact abandon a large chunk of pro users, they will have created a very large, angry bunch of techs who should band together to make sure the internet world knows about this. No company should be allowed to get away with this without taking a multimillion dollar PR hit.

Mel Malinowski

mel@malinowski.com

OK, Jay,

If you're still Public Relations Manager, you owe us an update on status more recent than July 28th. If not, your replacement does.

It's been three months now since Lion came out. You promised late August for TS-1.0TGL/R5 new firmware. Still nothing. The new NAS-NAV Mac runs on Lion, but it won't open the Teraserver, and still gives the 'not compatible' message.

There are many of us trying to decide whether Buffalo will ever fix this problem so we can use our Teraserver Pros, or if we have to trash these expensive devices and never trust Buffalo again. You owe us an honest answer.

quietguy

• Calf
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »

Here's their email response to me:

I like the part about 'due to the life cycle of the product'. I've only had this product for just over a year - so read btwn the lines folks. Anything you buy from Buffalo is considered obsolete by Buffalo after a year.?

?

That unit is running an older hardware version. With the release of Mac OS X Lion,
Apple has discontinued support for DHCAST128 authentication, subsequently breaking
Time Machine support on Linux-based network attached storage devices
industry-wide, including Buffalo’s NAS solutions. Apple did not set provisions for
legacy protocol support in Mac OS X 10.7, and so this problem is widespread.
Buffalo recognized the urgency of this dilemma and has responded quickly to
provide fixes for all currently shipping NAS models. See the full list of products
here.

For models not listed, no firmware fix will be developed due to the life cycle
status of the product family firmware. However, the SMB and AFP protocols are
fully functional on these devices and users running Mac OS X Lion can still access
their NAS devices; Time Machine will remain non-functional.

melmalinowski

• Calf
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »

Buffalo has not had the courtesy of declaring 'no firmware ever' for Terastation Pro users. Amazing!

I just set up a hashtag for those many of us who bought business 'Pro' units and have been stranded for three months due to Jay's promise that new firmware would be out in 'late August' after testing.

If you believe prospective Buffalo buyers should know about this, tweet a tweet including #BuffaloTechNo!?

Despite your post, I find my Buffalo Terastation Pro still unusable on Mac Lion, and if you call Buffalo Tech, they offer no help.

CJMillar82

• Calf
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2011, 06:19:28 PM »

i'm all for tweeting away on this (again)!

does anyone have updates for this (at all) or is this just on the list of things about bufflao that suck?

I have the LS-CH234 2.0 TB and it backs up via Time Machine *most* of the time.  occasionally it connects me as guest, fails at backup, and then even better is every day or so it tells me it did an integrity check and needs to backup from scratch and recognizes NO prior backups.  how nice.  what good is a backup drive I can't backup?!is there ANY fix for this? my concern is if my computer breaks, i'm screwed and will lose everything.  this is both a home and work computer and the idea of losing everything when i have a backup drive is BEYOND scary!  HELP!

botticelliprint

• Calf
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2011, 07:24:14 PM »

I have two TS=1.0TGL/R5 units that are completely inaccessible? via Mac Lion.  Very frustrating!

CJMillar82

• Calf
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »

i intermittently mid-backup lose connection to the NAS without losing internet connection.  it just says that Time Machine could not complete the backup because the network drive could not be found.  Please make sure y ou are connected to the network and that the drive is available and powered on.

What do I do to correct this????

kevinw

• Calf
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »

add me to the list.  Got around to installing Lion waiting for the OS to settle a little and unsuspectingly find that I can no longer access my 1TB HD-HTGL/R5 TeraStaion.   I've tried some of the workarounds.  No luck.

The amazing (crazy) thing is I can access my otehr NAS a HP Windows Server which hasn't had a firmware update in years and I CAN actualy access the TerStation using SMB but only using  Mu Commander .  So how dos a third party application get  to it but Finder can't....beats me.  Seems like Buffalo is more interested in selling new product instead of fixing (updating) their older ones and being able to say we have things made years a go and they still run.  I think hat would be a good thing and stiumate people to stay loyal to their brand. Now......not so much.....

melmalinowski

• Calf
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

I have the same problem. My TS-1.0TGL/R5 is useless. Jay Paycheck won't answer an email question about whether Buffalo's true intention is to never provide updated firmware for these units, and they just don't want to tell the truth. Maybe we should sue Buffalo as a class action, as we are all injured. Any lawyers interested? 

Some people are saying that is the case, and there is a huge backlash developing against Buffalo. There are now several anti-Buffalo Facebook topics.

What are we supposed to do with these expensive supposedly business-class backup devices, throw them away?

If anyone comes up with a solution from a competitor that allows you to buy their device and transfer all to it, I'd love to know. My Terastation Pro has been useless now since July.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Ok, enough is enough with this rubbish. Now I can understand why alot or people here are upset (the ls-ql and ls-chl owners more specifically) but melmalinowski you definitely take the biscuit. First of all your TS-TGL/R5 was probably purhcase what...... 5 or 6 years ago! Secondly it was never officially supported on MAC OSX ( check the specs! Windows xp, 2000, me, nt4.0 and 98se) Thirdly you can still access it on FTP and smb. Forthly Time Machine (which this thread was created for) was NEVER designed for this unit!! "Class action law suit" .... Good god get yourself a life will you! You would have a leg to stand on, any judge would take one look at this and laugh! ( again I'm talking about you and your unit, no on else)
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

boing

• Calf
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »

Davo, Buffalo basically does not support any device older than 6 month (all devices with the blue interface). Why the hell do you jump into the discussion and point to one of the few devices which are even older? Judging from the amount and the bias of your posts I have the strong impression you are somehow affiliated with Buffalo.

Whatever, NAS devices are  basically Linux servers that come preconfigured. So what you pay for in my eyes is the service of configuring it ready to use and maintaining it up to date for a reasonable time frame. Buffalo just does not do the latter and srewed all users with older devices over. And they do not even have the balls to admit it here, just silence. Therefore they very much deserve some bad press.

Umbogo

• Calf
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »

Happy to contribute to the bad press. I bought an 4TB LS-QL a year ago and hav just got it going at the heart of my network, so I am one of those unhappy people. I posted a support request last week. No response. Nothing. No more Buffalo for me or any of my friends an colleagues.

So if there are any sites where I can register my complaint, I'd be gratefulfor the link.

melmalinowski

• Calf
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »

I finally got a Buffalo technician to 'fess up the (by now obvious): though Buffalo has been refusing to say it, they are not going to do firmware for the TS-1.0TGL/R5 compatible with Mac OS10.7.2

It would have been stand-up of them to tell us this several months ago, so we could get on with extracting the data and replacing our RAID with a (definitely, never again Buffalo) reliable supplier.

When I bought this Terastation Pro, it was being promoted as a 'business solution' for backup. They didn't say: will be abandoned in 5 years. It cost $1000, not a low end item. Maybe there is no recourse, but abandoning servers this way after just 5 years is crummy, and new buyers of Buffalo deserve to know what to expect: shoddy treatment. Maybe that's what Davo considers the norm; if he does, he's setting the bar very low.

Despite what Davo says, Buffalo Tech never was able to get the Teraserver to work even via SMB or FTP on my iMac. Finally, now, I dug up an old Windows XP laptop and am transferring all the data off it, before I put it in the landfill. Oddly enough, although Buffalo couldn't manage to make it compatible to use the files on the Mac, Sonos in fairly short order fixed their programs so they could access all my music on it, including from my Mac Sonos programs and iOS programs. So I may keep it for awhile to do nothing but serve up music (though I cannot easily add any).

I think Jay Paycheck could have earned his money by, up front, telling the truth to owners of the units Buffalo was chosing to abandon, and avoiding the exasperation turning into anti-Buffalo road rage (not just me by any means). Stupid, callous approach. As a result, I and many others will be doing our best to let the world know about why they should not trust or buy Buffalo.

Have fun staying loyal to Buffalo, Davo. Looks like a match made in heaven.

schlumpf76

• Calf
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2011, 04:11:54 AM »

dr.memory, jay,

you owe us an update on the situation with LS-CHLv1. it is great that you talked to your engineers in japan, by now they should have figured out whether buffalo will/can develop a firmware update to support time machine on lion.

your customers deserve clear communication on that matter, please do so.

regards,

schlumpf76

spooky

• Calf
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »

I think it is already clear - Buffalo have no interest in their customers after they have got their money. A poor way to run a company and one to be avoided. I hope the message gets out there.

elgati

• Calf
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »

6 months? Try 6 days! 

I bought three of these for my office last week (Oct 2011) and they came without Lion support! This is bull$#!†!

At least I have time to return them...  :-|