Author Topic: LS-CHL 1T suddently no longer accessable  (Read 3547 times)

drjoncampbell

• Calf
LS-CHL 1T suddently no longer accessable
« on: July 26, 2011, 02:24:13 AM »

Hi Guys,

After 2 years of working perfectly, I can now no longer even see my linkstation.  Here is my set up in addition to the linkstation

1) Motorola router

2) Windows vista 32 bit, Avast, Windows defender

3) Think firmware is 1.37 but cant check at the moment as I cant get any sort of connection to the NAS

Ok....as I say, was working perfectly, visible on my main pc and also my xtreamer media streamer (connected bz LAN into the router).  Yesterday, access through my xtreamer stopped working.  It could still see the short cut but no contents or folders.  I then looked on my PC and access had also stopped from there.  They only think that had changed about this time is both avast and windows defender had done an automatic security update.  I tried reinstalling the NAS Navigator, following the instructions and it always tells me that the linkstation cant be found on the network.  Obviously with firewall/antivirus turned off.  I then tried the firmware updater......no linkstation found.  I have tried the IP adress of the NAS....cannot connect.  Any tips on how I best get this up and running without losing all the data I have on my NAS.

Any help much appreciated!!!!

Thanks very much,

Jon

drjoncampbell

• Calf
Re: LS-CHL 1T suddently no longer accessable
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:50:22 AM »

PS  Also now tried system restore (on NAS and windows pc...and reset router).  Also tried connecting NAS direct to PC instead of through router.  NASNavi still cant see the router.  The mystery deepens!!!!  Took me forever to rip all my DVDs to this thing....really hope once of zou guys can help me!!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »

Just been through whole set up again from scratch......when it gets to the point saying confirm that led is on (blue) and that link led is on or flashing.....I assume that it means the LED on the rear is the link LED (ie where the LAN cable connects).  If this is the case then everything looks ok....I press next.....and it says after a few seconds "no available link station is found" arrrghhh....this is driving me mad!!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »
What is the LED at the top doing? Is it red, blue or orange? Is it flashing or solid?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »

It flashes blue when you switch on during set up........it then turns solid blue after a while (more than the minute stated but I assume this could be because the disc is 60% full or so??) .....no amber/red seen.  Looks like it should be working normally but it just isnt visible on the network. 

Thanks,

Jon

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »

First of all thanks for your suggestion!!  Carried out as your instructions to the letter.....got to the point where I had to connect the NAS directly to my PC (of course here I had to remove the net cable to the pc).  Started the updater........NAS not found>>>>>>>>went to debug menu to change settings as in FAQ.......update greyed out as NAS not found.  Disconnected and reconnect cable (at PC and NAS end) to ensure was connected properlz.........blue light then started flashing and the disc spun-up........flashed for approx 3 mins and then went solid blue again....pressed find again........Linkstation that needs updating wasnt found error.  Very strange indeed!!!!  Does anyone have an alternative suggestions?.......I have basically no way of connecting to the linkstation........Thanks very much!!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »

just tried to boot into EM mode.....and it wont let me.....when it does the initail fast flashing of the func button and then you press and hold again (for 10 seconds or until button goes solid)........it doesnt happen.........now it is flashing amber....seems to be giving i23....lets see what happens now!!!  Ahhhhh.....I wonder if I am ever gonna get this fix.........my entire DVD collection copied on here and all the physical discs put in the cellar only a week ago.......knew I should have stuck with the old fashioned solution!!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »

Ok.....Yeah...safe mode with networking...but obviously when I connect directly to my pc, my pc no longer has an internet connection....is this OK?.....the nasnavi nor the firmware updater see the unit.........the only time I have seen an amber light is after a reset....it did i23 for a while...now it is back to constant blue...but completely invisible.  Will try your suggestion again thanks........this is very, very strange!!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »

Tried again....still fw updater doesnt see anything!!  tried various fw,s.....forced and non forced....nothing can see my NAS........was solid blue light all the way through my attempts....just put PC back into normal mode and I am seeing the i23 amber light pattern again.....now stopped and solid blue again.....any more tips.....please!!!!  Is there another way to access the device eg by USB...so at least I can copy the data.....thanks

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »

Also......would it make sense for me to attempt a TFTP reboot?  Thanks.

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »

PS...another thing I have just noticed.....I can switch the power switch to off.....and the unit just stays on......already 2 hours now.....with a solid blue light.  Dont know if this means something.  Thanks. 

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »

OK.....now had mails from Buffalo support in Europe......he says I can return the unit if still under warranty.......now what is the chances of the unit coming back working with my data still in tact I wonder!!!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »

OK....I have heard from support.....and they will basically replace my unite for a new one.....but I have decided that  all my data is far more interesting to me than a 100 Swiss francs or so.......here is my last ditched attempt to get this working......this evening I am going to try

1) TFTP reboot.....sounds like fun....if it works could someone please confirm that it wont automatically delete my data....I realize that some my be corrupt but I dont get the feeling it is.  If this doesnt work.......then....

2) Take out the hard drive, and use UFS Explorer to copy the data to another drive.

And then finally......buy myself another NAS as they are dirt cheap here in Switzerland.

Do the technical steps make sense to you experts please......I am not bothered about voiding the warranty.....

Thanks in advance....Jon

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »

Thanks......I will give the first part a shot later......if it doesnt work....part 2 will be this weekend!!

drjoncampbell

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
Just for anyone who was in the same situation as me......I tried part one.......was all going fine.......but the blocks were never served......no matter what I tried the drive just basically became a brick with a constant blue light. In the end.....I ripped the drive to pieces.....put the hdd in a case.....and used nfs explorer to recover every single bit of my data!!! I also picked up myself a lacie network storage 2 (2 T) which so far I am very impressed with......took me less than a minute to set up and the user interface is excellent......it is also so much quieter that the buffalo drive was. Thanks anyone who tried to help me get the buffalo up and running.......however it has now become a 1 T USB hard drive that I will use for back up of my lacie.