Author Topic: LS Pro Duo - what to do if one drive fails ?  (Read 16762 times)

peternie

• Calf
LS Pro Duo - what to do if one drive fails ?
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:24 AM »

Dear All,

As a new user of a LS PRO DUO 1TB I've chosen Raid1 to avoid any data loss in case of one HDD will fail. I've looked in the manual for several times but didn't found anything about the failure case.

What will happen if one day one HDD will crash. Using Raid 1 the LS PRO should work with one drive and all data will be there, but what are the next steps ? I've tried to search the forum but didn't found a step by step guideline to bring my system back to normal life.

Can you please provide me with solutions for the following scenarios:

1. One HDD will fail during the warranty phase (Buffalo has to replace the HDD or will they only change the full device including loss of data ???)

2. One HDD will fail after the warranty phase (I've to buy a new HDD)

I'm living in Germany if this makes any difference for the warranty-case. Hope you understood my bad english.

Best regards,

Peter

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: LS Pro Duo - what to do if one drive fails ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 04:56:13 AM »

Due to new CE redulations (well in Europe anyways) if one of the HDD's fails then the entire device will have to be replaced (this is down to the fact that there are "exposed" cables when you take the drives out) You can technically replace the drive itself and restructure the RAID array.

On other thing, since it is a software based raid it is always best to keep a backup of the data on a different medium. If the software raid fails then you lose all your data.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

UMRS

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »

Then whats the point of the RAID setup and the idea that its mirrored, if the software fails then you cant recover your data?

Our 1TB is setup as RAID 1 ,Im assuming that if Disk 1 fails our data is safe on Disk 2 but its not looking that way.

So I bought this to help preserve my data, but the suggestion is to ALSO back it up on ANOTHER media source. Again Why did I buy this drive then?

Not trying to come of gruff, just confused.

UMRS

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:35:36 AM »
   Nobody from buffalo cares to answer this one? Its kind of an important question I think.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »

Please accept my apologies for the late reply.

RAID has never been a substitute for a good backup regimen. RAID only allows some redundancy in case of a disk failure. If you're using the Linkstation as your primary storage, we recommend backing it up, i.e. to an external hard drive.

krisludington

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »

You still haven't answered the question.  How does one recover when one drive fails? 

klaborde

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »

Hello,

I would like to join the rant on this topic.

I just purchased a new 2TB Linkstation Pro Duo last week.

Funny this topic got started, because I was looking in the manual to figure out

how to replace one of the drives if one of the two fails.

(That is what Raid 1 is right?)

The whole reason I purchase this device was to be able to swap the drives.

Now it looks like that is not possible????????

I am sure not going to purchase another device to back this one up.

That was the whole reason for purchasing this one.

I would like to know from Buffalo or someone else, how do I change my 1TB drive it one fails.

If I can't get this answer, I am going to dump this unit on ebay before I load it down with

to much data. 

My intentions are to not back this unit up, but replace the drives when a failure occurs.

Thanks,

Keith

UMRS

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:11:29 AM »

A lot of people waitng for an answer on this one I guess. I also agree about now being told to purchase ANOTHER backup unit?

Could someone please explain to me also why I bought this one in the first place then?

BCinNYC

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »

I have the same concern.

I bought my LS Pro Duo to use as backup storage.  If it's unreliable, what good is it?  I need to count on it being there in case data on my working computers is lost for any reason.  Now I'm supposed to get a backup for the backup???

ESantiago

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »

LOL .... I got a ls-mini just to back up my pro-duo due to this problem. Fat chance of that happening. That doesnt work properly either and I still have not gotten a reply on that one other than... hmm I'll run a test.... over a month ago.

I'll unload these two and get ONE reliable box. maybe HP.

Message Edited by ESantiago on 03-02-2009 01:41 PM

Rowland

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »

I have a 1TB Drive Station set up as RAID1.  Could you please elaborate on your comment that RAID only allows "some" redundancy in case of a disk failure.  I too was led to believe that should one of the drives in the station fail, the other drive would have a mirrored copy of all data backed up to the point where the failed drive stopped operating.

How is a failed drive replaced in the Drive Station?  When it is replaced, how do you get the data from the non-damaged drive to the new drive?  Will the drive station automatically go into a comparison routine and copy the data onto the new drive from the functioning drive that was not replaced?

Thanks,

Rowland 

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 04:38:59 PM »

Edit: Some people have already answered specifically about the LS Pro Duo. I don't use a NAS, sorry. However Raid 01 software or hardware solution serve the same purpose. The following apply to both.

Raid 01 customer review of Buffalo product HERE. It is important to make a difference between a HDD in Raid failure, and a Raid controller failure.

When the physical HDD attached to a Raid controller fails:

1. switch off

2. remove and replace the dead HDD (both HD size must be identical on Raid 01)

3. close and switch on

4. the reconstruction (copy of the drive to the new one) is automatic

When a Raid controller fails and damage the MFT or disk header, then all the data is usually gone: disk 01 + disk 02

Recovery companies can retrieve the data on the platters using clean rooms, but that's not cheap. Some software can help in the case of a Raid failure. Some reading HERE

Message Edited by admsupport on 03-04-2009 08:22 AM

klaborde

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »

admsupport,

Thanks for your response.

I assume, since you state in your reply

"I don't use a NAS, sorry"

That your response is not an official one from "Buffalo" the company,

and for this particular unit.

I think we all understand the theory on how it should work,

but does it?

What I am looking for, since I spent money on this product

an "Official" response from "Buffalo" that should have been

explained in the user manual.

"How do you replace a bad disk drive"

Put yourself in my shoes.

I purchased this unit 2 weeks ago, and after joining this forum I find out

that I am supposed to back this unit up too!

This was stated in an earlier post by a "Buffalo Representative"...

One even stated for some reason that makes no sense to me

that the unit has to be returned for repair for drive replacement.

So I need to go buy another device, to backup the device I just purchased

to back that up too...  Come on !  What a crock !

If you guys visit Buy.com, you will see WD has a USB 2.0 device

that is mirrored 1TB Drives for 1/2 the price of this unit.

They even have a video of a WD representaive showing

how easy it is to pop open the cover and replace the bad disk drive.

I bet there manual is complete...

I have a number of computers on my network, and I purchased this unit

to be the destination of my data so I don't have to backup.

Micro Center recommended this unit based on my requirements.

They sold me one unit, not this one, and another one to back this one up...

I spent money on the LS Pro DUO that has the functionality of "Mirroring",

so if a failure occurs, I should be able to replace one of those drives

and do exactly as you explained myself.

Since I am a owner of the product, and you say you don't own one

I think you are "Assuming" what you say to be true.

I sure hope your right... but show me the documentation!

I would like to express my dissatisfaction of the product

and would like to demand that "Buffalo" provide instructions to

those of us who spent money on this unit.

I would like a PDF, that should have come with the purchase of my unit

telling me step by step instructions on how to replace a drive.

I wait anxiously wait for a response...

If there is no response from "Buffalo"...

I will also be posting reviews on this product on many websites sharing

the information that I became aware of after my purchase, warning

individuals to be careful in there selection of this product.

admsupport

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:54 PM »
   Hi kalbode,

I am not too good at expressing myself in English, but I do my best to answer okay?

1. You would like a good documentation to feel confident when something bad happens. That's legitimate. Buffalo does not provide one for this reason:

Buffalo wants customers to send the Box in any case (even after the warranty has expired) so they can change the HDD with their own products, and charge you for the repair. That's why there is no documentation and official Buffalo support people won't help much. It is against the company policy.

2. Raid 01 is a good solution against disk failure (hardware failure). I make sure you get this right okay? Now, if the controller (software in your case) goes bad, it is likely to corrupt the 2 disks since they replicate themselves through the controller. So Raid 01 is not a bulletproof solution (they are none) It is a layer of security at the cost of a full disk, without the hassle to synchronize two external HDD manually. That's why people advice you to backup your data, and to back up the backup, and the backup of the backup, etc. Or you can also contract with a web server for a  backup solution if you don't want another hard device.

4. Somewhere in the post you say: "[...]Since I am a owner of the product, and you say you don't own one I think you are "Assuming" what you say to be true. I sure hope your right... but show me the documentation![...]". I am not assuming. I explained you how to change a HDD in your buffalo box. Past the feeling of reassurance provide from the "official" documentation, a box is a box and this is no rocket science: Some screws, connectors and disks. If you don't want to pay big box to send it to a Buffalo center, you have to use some common sense and take a limited risk.

I have a Raid 01 Duo Station (external storage, not a network storage, and if this is about a Link Station Pro Duo the boxes are identical): Open the front lid (2 screws on the bottom), remove the S-ATA jack, remove the disk (2 more screws), change the disk with a similar disk in size. Turn the system on and the HDD will copy to the new HDD.

Note: if the raid controller is damaged, you will have to send your device to the maker. How do you know that? You are likely to have a RAID failure message on screen. If it is a HDD failure, you should see only one of the two disks, and you should be able to access your data.

Also you say: "I would like to express my dissatisfaction of the product". I guess what you mean by that is dissatisfaction of the service/company/documentation? I don't think Buffalo products are bad. I use them for long. But I agree with you. Speaking for myself, I do not like Buffalo policy much, at least with small devices for the consumer market.

Now, that's not something I can talk about, because I don't have one (I d'like too have on of those though). But it could be a complete other story with high-end products, like the Tera stations or DriveStation Quattro etc. Since it is for a different market segment, it could be an excellent documentation available?

All the best v(^^).
Message Edited by admsupport on 03-04-2009 02:05 PM

buscha

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »

thanks for your intelligent response!

I was looking through the http://recovery-review.com/index.php?action=search link but they did not provide any tools that handle the xfs system recovery if the "software goes bad".  The Pro Duo by default comes with an XFS filesystem and it looks like i will need some form of recovery, do you know of any tools that will unformat an XFS filesystem?