Author Topic: LS Pro Duo - what to do if one drive fails ?  (Read 16770 times)

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: LS Pro Duo - what to do if one drive fails ?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
   Its not the makers of the drive that tell you that, its common IT practise! If YOU can't grasp that then that's YOUR problem!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

UMRS

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »

So let me understand your logic, We should buy a buffalo to back up our files. Thats one backup. Then we should buy something to back up the buffalo. Thats the second backup. Well our company calls that money wasted.

We prefer to backup our files on one system that functions properly. If you cant grasp that, its your problem.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »

Actually its called disaster planning, you obviously have never heard of an offsite backup?!  Maybe you should look into it ;-)

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

UMRS

• Calf
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »

Yes a second device, if you read carefully here which you havent you would need a third device. Which defeats the purpose of buying the second one.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »

If your data is that important then there should be no arguments about this.  Common good practice is to have multiple backups. 

buscha

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »

To respond to  dieseljwt:

If you are using the Buffalo for a backup, it is doing it's purpose.  Since you already have two copies (one on your local drive and one on the buffalo.)  If there is a catastrophe, the recovery process is not that difficult: do download of an autoboot linux dvd which can temporarily turn your windows computer into a linux machine and then you'd be able to run xfs_repair no problem (for free.)  After recovering my data and reformating back into mirror mode, i've been able to successfully use my buffalo as my backup system with out failure.  No data was lost in my catastrophe after i repaied, in fact no data was lost on either mirrored drive.  There was an error on the controller which cleared the boot sectors of the drives, which is fixable.  I actually see no way to fix any of the ntfs drives that other NAS's provide, if there is any sort of error in an NTFS partition, you have to give up.  Buffalo uses XFS which is a much simpler and faster filesystem than NTFS and thus more recoverable when things go wrong.

Glen_Zabriskie

• Calf
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »

According to the manual, and from what i have always understood of RAID1 , when a drive goes bad, you replace that drive, and then when you power on the device it should automgically start rebuilding the info (Mirroring) on the new drive.

Glen_Zabriskie

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »

Exactly!!!!

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 01:27:47 AM »

I would suggest reading up first on what RAID is exactly  and how to make yourself a suitable backup plan.

RAID 1 mirrors the contents of the disks, making a form of 1:1 ratio realtime backup. The contents of each disk in the array are identical to that of every other disk in the array. A RAID 1 array requires a minimum of two drives. RAID 1 mirrors, though during the writing process copy the data identically to both drives, would not be suitable as a permanent backup solution, as RAID technology by design allows for certain failures to take place.

Please note:

RAID 1 mirrors, though during the writing process copy the data identically to both drives, would not be suitable as a permanent backup solution, as RAID technology by design allows for certain failures to take place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#RAID_1