Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-W1.0TGL/R1 - PS3 Incompatibility and REALLY slow performance  (Read 14536 times)

BobS

• Calf

Hi all,

I have a similar problem with my Pro Duo LS-W1.0TGL/R1.  This is still at firmware 1.1 because I an't be sure that reflashing the system will actually solve the problem!

IMine is connected through a D-Link DSL-G604T Router Hub using the 100baseT hub.

I find that shifting my any significant amount of data takes so long that XPSP3 times out due to the slow transfer rates.  I've just done a test moving a 23Mb TIFF file and this has taken 2m7s, giving a transfer rate of 0.181MB/s (1.4Mbps).

This ultimately means I can't use it to back up any significant data without leaving the host PC on for far longer than I would need to.  I've had to give up using Synchtoy to synchronise folders to it as this too fails when it can't complete the task(s) in a reasonable time.  I have Outlook Archive folders on as well and this causes Outlook to slow to a crawl when it tries to archive any large amount of data.

The fastest solution I have found is to manually transfer each file individually, though whether this is actually faster may be an illusion, caused by actually seeing the progress bar move!

ANy helpful suggestions would be nice, or better still a solution from Buffalo.

Apart from that, it's fine!

DB258884

• Calf

So, are we in agreement that R1-V1 will NOT communicate with a PS3??  Do we feel there is a possibility of this being rectified in the future?   (as I stare at my unopened Buffalo 1.0 TB LS-W1.0TGL/R1 box)

IF THIS IS THE CASE.....I would competently argue the website is pretty misleading---UNLESS I missed the boat where it notes the PS3, XBOX 360, etc....issues.

bendertheking

• Calf

Sorry but I cannot understand. I own a Linkstation Mini 1 TB LS-WS1.0TGL/R1 Black and I use it with my PS3 and it works PERFECTLY and it is FAST as hell , compatible with all video/music format Im on firmware 1.06 and I didnt had to configure it just was in the menu as soon as I attached my PS3 to my network.My PS3 is on 2.60 firmware.

dhnobles

• Calf
   Wait, Where on the website does it say that R1 doesn not work and R3 does? I looked all over the place referencing the entire model number and everything said that it used the DLNA server. Becuase I just got my R1 (didn't even see anything about being able to choose R1 or R3) and its basically a $365 brick because my PS3 can't see it? Have I got that right mods?

BobS

• Calf

This thread seems to be focusing on the PS3 accessibility and ignoring the speed aspect.  Should the performance issue be started as a new thread - I don't have, don't want and don't need a PS3, I just need to use it as a functional NAS on a Network.

Any thoughts? 

bendertheking

• Calf

The speed(file transfer jumbo frame) is great and the compatibility also (LInkstation Mini 1 Tb)with ps3,wii transfer,osx,vista,xp and web access..tried with all

Still not really excellent  with iphone

Colin137

• Big Bull

Here's some clarification on the model numbers:

LS-W1.0TGL/R1 is the general model number. There is no /R3 models, as /R1 stands for RAID1. 

There are two hardware revisions of the product. The first revision has version 1.xx firmware, a single USB port, a power BUTTON, an Auto/Manual power MODE SWITCH, and a RESET button. The second revision has version 3.xx firmware, two USB ports, an Off/On/Auto power SWITCH, and a FUNCTION button.

Additionally, the first revision does not have the media server capability.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 03-23-2009 07:37 PM

ballio

• Calf

Thanks for all the great feedback. However, it's still really slow... I tried initializing the settings and putting on jumbo frames but it's pretty much the same thing. Would getting a new router improve the situation? The DLink DI-524 I'm using is pretty old. 

Now that I know my device doesn't support DLNA, I would still want it to be responsive and but a reliable source of backup. However, the device would not respond after a certain amount of time. I could mount to it just fine when it first got restarted. But after a day or so, I couldn't mount it anymore. I had to do a hard restart every time. It's becoming a pretty annoying issue.

BobS

• Calf

I've solved my speed problem - I started to get RAID array failures, and rebuilding the Array on Disk 2.  This would take absolutely hours!  Determining that repeated RAID failures may be telling me something, I replaced the Samsung HD501LJ (both drives the same) on Drive 2 with a Western Digital WD5000AAKS.

Speed and reliablity are (touch wood) now OK, and I hadn't realised how noisy the old drive had got until it was changed.  Whole network is faster too, the old drive was obviously causing much noise on the networks and affecting everything else.

As for the D-Link router, I have a DSL-G604T. which is also showing signs of age (like it doesn't reboot properly when requested) and has been replaced with a Thomson TG585v7.  This has a 4-port 10/100 Switch and seems OK (just wish it was Gigabit).  However, the D-Link router works fine as a 4-port hub when the ADSL section is disabled.  So now the Printers run off the D-Link with a cable connecting the two routers (the Thomson has MDIX on the ports) and so far, everything seems OK.

Hope this experience helps.

Glen_Zabriskie

• Calf

So will there be a forthcoming firmware fix for DNLA support for the older 1 USB model??? If not, everywhere you aor any retailer has advertised this product has claimed that it does DNLA.    Its false advertising to claim a major feature like that and then not support it.  Didnt you guys learn a lesson with the Wireless G lawsuit?

JoshC

• Big Bull

I would suggest moving to another forum and start trouble elsewhere.

kaddude

• Calf

I share Glen Zabriskie's concerns.  It is not at all obvious on the Buffalo site that there is a version of the Pro Duo that DOESN'T support DLNA.  So like Glen I have a NAS that can't talk to my PS3 (should have got a Netgear ReadyNAS). 

Is Buffalo going to rectify this, eg by providing a firmware fix to add the DLNA support to the Pro Duo's that, based on your site, we all EXPECTED it to have?