Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo - LS-W1.0TGL/R1 - PS3 Incompatibility and REALLY slow performance  (Read 14538 times)

ballio

• Calf

Hi,

I have the LinkStation Pro Duo with 1.08 fw. I've set it up as a RAID 1. The harddrive has been nearly unusable until my most recent firmware update. I've been using it with both mac (OSX 10.5.6) and a PC (XP). However, it's been really nonresponsive and slow. Before 1.08 it would constant unmounts itself and freezes until I restart the Pro Duo again.

Even with 1.08, I still cannot fully backup my iPhoto Library, which is about 30 GBs in size. It stops in the middle without any messages. Transfer of all files are really slow (5 Mb/s at max). All my systems are connected through a Dlink DI-524 with ethernet connection. Can anyone help me with this slow performance? Is it some settings I'm missing?

Also, I've been trying to hook it up to my PS3 but to no avail. The PS3 would not recognize the LinkStation. I've been looking on the forums but I don't see the media server option in either the NASnavigator or the web browser admin. Where is the DLNA functionality as advertised?

Paul

• Big Bull
I would try to set the unit back to factory defaults to increase performance.  As for the PS3 we will be releasing a firmware for that soon.

ballio

• Calf

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your quick response! I just initialized the settings of the Pro Duo. It does seems more responsive but the transfer speed is not much faster. Is there any settings either in the NAS or router I can look at to make it go faster? It's connected through ethernet to the router, shouldn't I get somewhat a LAN speed?

I am really excited for the firmware upgrade to get the PS3 working!!

Thanks! 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
   5Mbps on a 100mbit network is actaully pretty good. Enable jumbo frames in the network settings if your network can support this. However i doubt it can.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

njtrentacoste

• Calf

I own this device and see pretty good performance on it.  I've had it for several months and have never restarted it.  I love it!  Rock solid in my opinion.  I wish it would talk to an XBOX 360, but I recently picked up a PS3 and am VERY EXCITED about the forthcoming capability to allow them to work together.  One question is what's preventing these two DLNA certified devices from working out of the box?

Thanks,

Nick 

ballio

• Calf

Well, yeah, 5 mb/s is not that bad as long as it keeps it up. For smaller files it's ok, but for bigger files it gets down to 0.1 mb/s, which is pretty slow...

I have a 30 GB file that was never backed up to the drive because it gets too slow in the middle... Any ideas?

Thanks. 

trtadlock

• Calf

Paul,

When can we expect a firmware update for the LS Pro Duo?

From thread Re: DLNA compatibility ?, it appears that the new firmware has resolved the PS3 incompatibility issues for the LinkStation Live users.

Colin137

• Big Bull

Ballio, that is pretty strange. Do you have a PC you could try transferring that file with?

trtadlock, I would expect that update soon, but I don't have a release date for you. The NAS devices that got that fix were not done at the same time.

nivenj

• Calf
   I was under the impression that the /R1 variants (ie the 1.x firmware) does not, nor will it support DLNA. Am I incorrect in this? Woul be good to know, as I was just about to purchase a FREEGENE NAS just so I could stream to my PS3.

Colin137

• Big Bull

Good call nivenj, although you're slightly off the mark. I'll forgive you this time :)

The Linkstation Pro Duo has two different hardware revisions, hence the 1.xx and 3.xx firmware versions. The one that carries the 1.xx firmware has a single USB port, power and reset buttons, and does not include the media server components. The revised hardware version carries the 3.xx firmware, has two USB ports, function button and power switch, and includes the media server.

mikehammer

• Calf

Paul

does fw 3.09 fix the PS3 compatibility issues? Just asking and hoping cause I've seen nothing in the release notes.

dadgumit

• Calf
   I am a bit confused now, only the R3 Variants will work with the PS3?

Colin137

• Big Bull

mikehammer: The 3.08 firmware had fixes for the PS3 compatibility, 3.09 has those fixes, plus fixes for server 2008 active directory integration. Sony tends to alternately break, then fix DLNA support, so i would wait for the next PS3 firmware update.

dadgumit: Correct. The version 1.xx units do not have the media servers.

dadgumit

• Calf

Thanks for the quick response. My buddy (I am friend/tech support) must have the R3 then, he says his PS3 SEEs the nas, but he has no files in it yet. I will be over there by this weekend, I guess that will tell the tale.

Is there a Buffalo drive that is particularly good for this purpose (preferably with mirroring)?

Thanks!

Colin137

• Big Bull
The only devices that are capable of RAID and support DLNA are the v3 LS Pro Duo (LS-WTGL/R1-v3), the LS Mini (LS-WSGL), the LS Quad (LS-QTL), and the Terastation Live (HS-DHTGL/R5).