Author Topic: Slow performace with Windows 7  (Read 2727 times)

RR

• Calf
Slow performace with Windows 7
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:50 AM »

I have a new computer with windows 7. I can make a share with my LS DH500GL.

The first thing is that i always have to enter my name and password for the first time i want the go to the drive. (windows XP did that for me)

The second thing is that when i browse through the data with the explorer it is very slow. If i want to open a folder, i get a loop indicating that the explorer is searching, after 5 till 30 seconden the folder is opened and i see the data in it. With windows XP there is no delay.

How can i fix this ?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Slow performace with Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:38:58 AM »

"The first thing is that i always have to enter my name and password for the first time i want the go to the drive. (windows XP did that for me)"

When you map the share check the box for remembering credentials.

"The second thing is that when i browse through the data with the explorer it is very slow. If i want to open a folder, i get a loop indicating that the explorer is searching, after 5 till 30 seconden the folder is opened and i see the data in it. With windows XP there is no delay."

This is likely due to the computer not the NAS.  Do you have any other fileservers/NAS devices?

RR

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »

When you map the share check the box for remembering credentials.

"That dos ot help. Every time i start up i have to manualy enter my password"

"The second thing is that when i browse through the data with the explorer it is very slow. If i want to open a folder, i get a loop indicating that the explorer is searching, after 5 till 30 seconden the folder is opened and i see the data in it. With windows XP there is no delay."

This is likely due to the computer not the NAS.  Do you have any other fileservers/NAS devices?

"No the NAS is my only file server. The windows XP machine and the windows 7 machine are in the same network"

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:47:53 AM »

What kind of network setup do you have?  Please not that these are not "file servers" they are storage units with smaller processors so you will be limited.

RR

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »

I have a lokal network, a speedtouch router (ADSL), Samsung TV, Network printer (Samsung CLP-310N), NAS (Buffalo), Windows 7 and Windows Xp machine connected.

hbruun

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »

This may be the same problem I reported in this thread http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/LS-XH2-0TL-slows-to-a-crawl-when-backing-up-using-Barracudaware/td-p/26044

I had another NAS/Linkstation before upgrading to my new LS-XH2-0TL.  The other unit was performing fine and could complete my backups, but this one has now been running a single full backup for 1 1/2 days to do 200GB.

RR

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »

Wen i copy large files my througput is about 6 to 6,5 MB/sec what is normal. I have problems to browse through the data with te explorer. To show a map with all data, can take more than one minute. With Windows-XP i don't have those problems. Maybie it has something to with some settings in Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bits) but i don't now wich.